Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 23 2013, 09:32 PM   #16
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Have you heard of this College?

Kestrel wrote: View Post
^ Well, it's no Uni Bologna but what is?
Well, Sorbonne comes almost close.
Old May 23 2013, 09:38 PM   #17
Kenbushway
Captain

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
it is a very difficult school, just like probably most engineering schools.
This I can vouch for. The eng school part I mean. And for some reason, I went back for a masters.

You do know there are two brutal 8-hour exams after you graduate if you want to get licensed...

What discipline are you interested in? I'm a civil with an envl slant.
I am hoping to go there for science, Masters in physics. That is if its possible to get most of my core classes from a cheaper community college.
Old May 23 2013, 10:44 PM   #18
B.J.
Rear Admiral

You may want to also look into some other schools for your undergraduate degree. I know Georgia Southern offers a Bachelor's in Physics. I considered going there at one time.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Never heard of it.
Old May 23 2013, 10:56 PM   #19
Kenbushway
Captain

B.J. wrote: View Post
You may want to also look into some other schools for your undergraduate degree. I know Georgia Southern offers a Bachelor's in Physics. I considered going there at one time.

Never heard of it.
Georgia Southern is close to 4 hours away. Ga tech is 45 mins away.
Old May 23 2013, 11:48 PM   #20
Finn
Vice Admiral

^Have you ever lived away from home?

Going to college in DC was quite an experience for me, being away from all I had known. For so many years, my sphere of familiarity was mostly confined to a group of several towns. Boom! 15 years later, I've lived in several cities, from the DC area to Cincinnati, Baton Rouge and now Boston.

I can't imagine not having lived in the DC area. I lived in the DC area for more than half of the past 15 years (I graduated high school 15 years ago). But when I first started college, it was an strange and new experience for me, living outside of New England for the first time, in a big city.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:13 AM   #21
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Kenbushway wrote: View Post

Never heard of it.
Normally folks go to a different university for their Master's degree than they did for their Bachelor's degree. You can go to the same school for both, it's usually just preferred to have some variety in experience and on your resume. Also, many schools may have strong graduate programs in a specific area but not a very strong undergraduate program in the same subject, or vice versa. Do you want to go to Georgia Tech for your undergraduate or graduate degree?
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:59 AM   #22
Kenbushway
Captain

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post

Normally folks go to a different university for their Master's degree than they did for their Bachelor's degree. You can go to the same school for both, it's usually just preferred to have some variety in experience and on your resume. Also, many schools may have strong graduate programs in a specific area but not a very strong undergraduate program in the same subject, or vice versa. Do you want to go to Georgia Tech for your undergraduate or graduate degree?
I am meeting with an adviser about that when I return to my current college this summer. If I can do it elsewhere then I will but its all about money and location; preferably my graduate degree.
Old May 24 2013, 04:19 PM   #23
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Exactly. And I have heard that some of the graduate programs at Georgia Tech don't usually accept their own undergraduates for this exact reason.
Old May 24 2013, 05:50 PM   #24
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I am meeting with an adviser about that when I return to my current college this summer. If I can do it elsewhere then I will but its all about money and location; preferably my graduate degree.
In order to get into a graduate program, you will need a bachelor's degree of some kind. A community college will only give you an associate's degree; you will need to transfer your credits to an accredited four-year institution and complete undergraduate coursework there before you even think of a graduate program. You're trying to plan Step J when you're actually needing to focus on Step B.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 06:23 PM   #25
Kenbushway
Captain

Timby wrote: View Post

In order to get into a graduate program, you will need a bachelor's degree of some kind. A community college will only give you an associate's degree; you will need to transfer your credits to an accredited four-year institution and complete undergraduate coursework there before you even think of a graduate program. You're trying to plan Step J when you're actually needing to focus on Step B.
Georgia Highlands is a 4 year institution. Its also expensive. Chattahoochee tech offers science classes, I am just trying to see how much I can get for cheap. Like I said its all about money.
Old May 24 2013, 06:57 PM   #26
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Georgia Highlands is a 4 year institution.
Not according to their own website.

Founded in 1970 as a two-year institution of the University System of Georgia, the college is non-residential and maintains six sites in Rome, Cartersville, Marietta, Dallas and Douglasville. In 2011, the Board of Regents approved a sector change to state college, a designation that means GHC can begin to offer a limited number of baccalaureate degrees. A Bachelor of Science in nursing has been identified as the first such degree. The first class to pursue the BSN will begin classes fall 2013. Other four-year programs that meet the demands of GHC’s service area will be added during the next decade.
Might want to focus on getting your undergrad work taken care of before you start getting pie-in-the-sky dreams of a master's degree in physics.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 07:00 PM   #27
RoJoHen
Awesome

Might want to focus on getting your undergrad work taken care of before you start getting pie-in-the-sky dreams of a master's degree in physics.
Indeed. Four years is a long time, and there is a lot of work to do before you should even start thinking about grad school. Who knows what might change between now and then?
Old May 24 2013, 07:40 PM   #28
Chensams
Vice Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
Aren't they the "Rambling Wrecks"?
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. "Ramblin' Wreck" is another nickname based on the fight song and history of the school.

Chensams wrote: View Post
They have a decent (ish) football team so the school must be relevant.
(Well, I'm just happy we beat USC (Calif.) in the most recent bowl game!)
I was rooting for GT. Can't stand Kiffen.
Old May 24 2013, 09:06 PM   #29
Kenbushway
Captain

Georgia Highlands is a 4 year institution.
Not according to their own website.

Founded in 1970 as a two-year institution of the University System of Georgia, the college is non-residential and maintains six sites in Rome, Cartersville, Marietta, Dallas and Douglasville. In 2011, the Board of Regents approved a sector change to state college, a designation that means GHC can begin to offer a limited number of baccalaureate degrees. A Bachelor of Science in nursing has been identified as the first such degree. The first class to pursue the BSN will begin classes fall 2013. Other four-year programs that meet the demands of GHC’s service area will be added during the next decade.
Well that isn't a possibility, Southern polytechnic State University is my only other option. I know that is a 4 year school for sure.
Old May 25 2013, 04:05 AM   #30
propita
Rear Admiral

StolenThunder wrote: View Post
Should you have to ask...
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. "Ramblin' Wreck" is another nickname based on the fight song and history of the school.

Chensams wrote: View Post
They have a decent (ish) football team so the school must be relevant.
(Well, I'm just happy we beat USC (Calif.) in the most recent bowl game!)

I only ask because I remember my Dad (who had a BS in Mech Eng out of USC--that's Trojans, not Carolina) used to say their motto(?) "I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech." For the life of me, I can't remember why. Maybe during a football game on tv? He used to watch those every Saturday. Strange how that's a great memory of Dad.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote