Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 24 2013, 03:41 PM   #46
Borgminister

Re: Help Into Darkness

You've yet to talk to the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, I see...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:06 PM   #47
sj4iy
Commander

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Well I've done my part. I've managed to talk my family out of seeing it and five of my buddies as well. It will probably still do great business over it's second weekend, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that this film needs to succeed in order for the Star Trek franchise to continue having relevance.
I have never talked someone out of seeing a movie because don't have the same tastes in entertainment as they do.
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:35 PM   #48
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
The thing about "Science Fantasy" or "Space Fantasy" (as Lucas originally described Star Wars ) is that Trek fits just as comfortably into that category as Star Wars does.
I don't think it does, but I've said before it doesn't matter to me what people want to call the films. I do think Lucas is right. Space Fantasy sounds more accurate because there's not a lick of fictional science in any of those movies. I know there are light sabers and such, but they are not presented in a sci-fi way. They just work and they are used, kind of like magic. That's fantasy, not sci-fi.

I just wonder why it seems sometimes that people try really hard to put their sci-fi in another category or cram everything else into a category with sci-fi (like "speculative fiction"). I'm not saying you do this; it's just a thought.

Well I've done my part. I've managed to talk my family out of seeing it and five of my buddies as well. It will probably still do great business over it's second weekend, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that this film needs to succeed in order for the Star Trek franchise to continue having relevance.
You know, I think I remember you from another Trek website. I think you were one of the people that said this movie would have issues, and I didn't believe it at the time. Well, I believe now. I'm not happy about it, but it's the truth. You were right, imo.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:37 PM   #49
Jeyl
Commodore

sj4iy wrote: View Post
I have never talked someone out of seeing a movie because don't have the same tastes in entertainment as they do.
Well, I've known my family all my life and my friends for a couple of decades now. We seem to trust each other's judgement when it comes to what to see and what not to see. Heck, I convinced my folks that we should see Battlefield Earth and I don't think we would have had nearly as good a time seeing STID as we did that astounding film.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:51 PM   #50
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Well I've done my part. I've managed to talk my family out of seeing it and five of my buddies as well.
That's quite an achievement to be proud of. You want a cookie?
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:58 PM   #51
sj4iy
Commander

Well, I've known my family all my life and my friends for a couple of decades now. We seem to trust each other's judgement when it comes to what to see and what not to see. Heck, I convinced my folks that we should see Battlefield Earth and I don't think we would have had nearly as good a time seeing STID as we did that astounding film.
My troll alert is up.
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:12 PM   #52
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Well I've done my part. I've managed to talk my family out of seeing it and five of my buddies as well.
Heck, I convinced my folks that we should see Battlefield Earth and I don't think we would have had nearly as good a time seeing STID as we did that astounding film.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:23 PM   #53
Borgminister

HUMBUG!

Didn't Travolta play a Klingon in that?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:32 PM   #54
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

After some consideration, it's hard to see your first post as anything other than an attempt to provoke a negative reaction, especially given the topic of the thread which is about helping to improve STiD's box office. The follow-up post comparing it unfavorably to what is almost universally considered one of the worst mainstream films ever made wasn't much of an improvement.

It's fine to hate the movie. It's fine to complain about the movie. But when you come in to thumb your nose at people in a thread about raising box office by saying how many people you've convinced to stay away, it becomes problematic.

Infraction for trolling. Comments to PM.

My troll alert is up.
Then hit notify on the post and let the mods deal with it instead of calling the person out in the thread, please.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:41 PM   #55
TheCutestofBorg
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I tried to talk my old man into seeing it and he just straight up B*tch Slapped me across the face. Thats the last time I try and talk a non-trek fan into seeing a trek movie with me.
TheCutestofBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 09:47 AM   #56
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Keep up the faith brothers and sisters. Spread the gospel of Trek to all who will listen.

Current total is rougly $258 million worldwide. Although the foreign numbers have not been updated since May 12th. My personal goal is for the movie to make $500 million worldwide.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 09:53 AM   #57
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

You nearly had me with the first post too
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 09:57 AM   #58
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Someone should phone the king of Jordan or whatever that country is with the big Trek fan and get him to pay for a new movie.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 09:58 AM   #59
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

I want to visit his Star Trek theme park before I die.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 06:23 PM   #60
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
I want to visit his Star Trek theme park before I die.
Not sure it's still expected to completed by 2014, but looks like they've finally begun construction on that, anyway.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote