Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 20 2013, 07:45 AM   #151
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

Apparently this doctor was based on some "Dr. Feelgood" character (as he was late dubbed in the media) who was really running around Madison Avenue during the late 60s. "Vitamin B" shots they were called according to my 74 year old mom, who called me up to discuss the ep. Something that subset of corporate culture embraced for a small amount of time. Methamphetamine and a little vitamin B12 is more like it. Basically, he was giving speed shots.

Betty was right about Don and Megan. For a while, I thought the older black lady was the real Don Draper's nanny/caretaker when he was a child. She was creepy. Looked like Oprah Winfrey as Sofia in "The Color Purple."

Stalker Don is pathetic. Get some therapy and get past it, Don.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:08 AM   #152
billcosby
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
What in the name of sweet Jesus what that episode I just watched??
I was thinking the same thing. It was like everyone was stoned. What the hell was that doctor (if that's what he really was) injecting them with?
"The Crash." I felt really weird watching this one it was very trippy, sometimes in a fun way (office hijinks) and other times in a very disturbing way (the break in).

For the record, Betty and Don haven't been in the same scene together since season 4, is that right? Not an important factor in the story but the distance between them has never been this great - plus, I don't think Don ever once saw 'Fat Betty.'

I look forward to reviewing this one for details. Loved what Don was saying about advertising... when he broke it down to it's bare essentials. A two sentence limit to get your 'foot in the door' as Ginsburg says. The rantings in a drug fueled frenzy, but insightful nonetheless.

I wonder briefly if Don had his virginity raped from him? But it was so vague... I think it may have been an opportunity to explain more about why Don is the way he is. Props to Sally for giving him the hard truth: "I don't really know anything about you."

Does Peggy really have a great ass? Just for once I'd like to see to know for sure. She bore that compliment well.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:15 PM   #153
the G-man
Commodore

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
What in the name of sweet Jesus what that episode I just watched??
Weiner's annual 'dream/hallucination while sick' episode, a bad habit he picked up working on the Sopranos.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:40 PM   #154
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

billcosby wrote: View Post
I wonder briefly if Don had his virginity raped from him? But it was so vague... I think it may have been an opportunity to explain more about why Don is the way he is.
I thought they said quite a bit with what they showed -- I'm just not sure of what we were being told the affects on Don, were.

At a young age he was mothered by an attractive adult woman, one he had no doubt lusted after at some point, and then had sex with her -- his first sex with a woman. Then when his guardian finds out about this, she beats him. I'm no psychiatrist, but I think this incident (and others) may be a big reason Don is as screwed up in the head as he is, especially when it comes to women.

I wonder who is going to get a new boyfriend first, Peggy or Joan?

I guess Megan was too upset to notice that Betty accused her of being out somewhere "on a casting couch", though Henry did a nice job of attempting to keep her in line.

I think everyone was trying to do the math on Grandma Ivy. I know I was. My suspicions weren't fully confirmed until she appeared to try to pull the T.V. out of the wall, or whatever it was mounted in.

Ginsberg is so naturally wacky he doesn't need drugs. He was right with Don up to the point whare Don's "soup" pitch completely ran out of steam.

One of Weiner's weird ones -- like the one last season where Roger dropped acid and the one when Don was sick. These episodes seem to reveal a lot about certain characters. We just have to figure out what is being said and about whom.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:28 AM   #155
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I adored last night's episode. Interesting to see that Don was sexually molested by a mother figure; that really allows us to see why he's so destructive towards women.
Old May 21 2013, 06:48 PM   #156
billcosby
Commodore

^^ yes, and since he'd never had any nurturing in his life, it's pretty sad that the only time it happens it's so brief and immediately followed by rape.

I wondered why the working girl would even want to have sex with this 14 year old kid? Maybe because all the other men she encounters are the same and this was entertaining for her? It seems like she might have a dead kid (photo on the mirror) but if anything that would make it weirder. Strangest. Mad. Men. Ever.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 04:31 AM   #157
the G-man
Commodore

billcosby wrote: View Post
^^ yes, and since he'd never had any nurturing in his life, it's pretty sad that the only time it happens it's so brief and immediately followed by rape.

I wondered why the working girl would even want to have sex with this 14 year old kid? Maybe because all the other men she encounters are the same and this was entertaining for her? It seems like she might have a dead kid (photo on the mirror) but if anything that would make it weirder. Strangest. Mad. Men. Ever.
It might be the only way she knew how to show affection.

As for other aspects of the episode:

Man don's whole Madonna/whore complex was brought fully to bear in this episode wasn't it?

Am I the only one who thinks that Ted reminds him of Rob Petrie on the Dick Van Dyke show?

Was that supposed to be the same 'dr feel good' who supposedly was shooting up Jack Kennedy back when he was president? The symptoms that Don manifested seemed similar to the anecdote of what happened to Kennedy when he got the shot ( ie a Secret Service nightmare).

Hamm's acting in this episode was some of the Best I've seen on the series. It was a telling recreation of an annoying intoxicated or stoned person but when necessary he brought a level of gravitas to the performance that most people would not think to bring to this type of role in this type of episode. And his fly being down after the conversation with Peggy about soup was a really nice touch.

Anyone else wondering if Megan's cheating On Don with the producer?

The song 'going out of my head' might of been a little too on the nose for the episode.

'Maybe we're different'. That line cracked me up. Totally align that a horny and desperate guy would use.

I was a little creeped out by the fact that Wendy the I Ching hippie chick did not look much older than Sally but I have a feeling she probably wasn't

Normally I detest Betty but I've got to say she was 100% on the nose with this episode except perhaps for the reference to a casting couch but even then I'm not so sure she wasn't wrong (see comment above)

Hamm IS Batman.
Old May 22 2013, 07:51 PM   #158
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

the G-man wrote: View Post
It might be the only way she knew how to show affection.
Could be, or maybe the kid was just something different from the usual yahoos she has to deal with.
Am I the only one who thinks that Ted reminds him of Rob Petrie on the Dick Van Dyke show?
Not in terms of looks, but yes some of his mannerisms and speech patterns do remind me a bit of "Pitter-Pattter" Petrie.

Anyone else wondering if Megan's cheating On Don with the producer?
I'v considered that Megan might cheat, lord knows enough guys want her, but I cannot see the character doing it. She is just too good. Th only bad thing she's done was screw her friend out of that role. The only way I see her hooking up with someone else is if she finds out Don is cheating.
The song 'going out of my head' might of been a little too on the nose for the episode.
I was thinking the same thing. They are usually so much more subtle with the end song.
Hamm IS Batman.
He wouldn't be my first choice for Bats but he'd be a helluva lot better than Christian Bale. Now, if they ever needed an "American" James Bond...

Last edited by gblews; May 22 2013 at 08:02 PM.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 11:42 PM   #159
Data Holmes
Admiral

I'm starting to think that Don's issues stem from some form of Oedipus complex.
Old May 22 2013, 11:51 PM   #160
the G-man
Commodore

Now, if they ever needed an "American" James Bond...
To me Batman is the American James Bond
Old May 24 2013, 05:52 AM   #161
Lord Garth
Captain

I'm a little surprised that SCDPCGC would expend so much "effort" into creative when Chevy won't even pick anything until 1970. Ultimately, I have to agree with Don.

I wonder if Don's shutting out Chevy is just the first step in checking out of Creative entirely, except as an acceptor or rejecter, and leaving the charge to Ted and Peggy. If that turns out to be the case, then CGC won the creative war against SCDP.

Sally and Bobby are lucky beyond belief that they weren't harmed or that someone more dangerous didn't break in. This cannot be stressed enough.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 01:40 PM   #162
the G-man
Commodore

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
I'm a little surprised that SCDPCGC would expend so much "effort" into creative when Chevy won't even pick anything until 1970.
I might be wrong but I thought the agency was getting paid big bucks to expend the effort at this time.

I wonder if Don's shutting out Chevy is just the first step in checking out of Creative entirely, except as an acceptor or rejecter, and leaving the charge to Ted and Peggy. If that turns out to be the case, then CGC won the creative war against SCDP.
I don't know. Some might say becoming the boss of your rivals is winning. The real issue would seem to me to be the idea that Don is aging and becoming out of touch with both the ad game and the world in general.

Sally and Bobby are lucky beyond belief that they weren't harmed or that someone more dangerous didn't break in. This cannot be stressed enough.
One of the little subtleties of the show is when they show how progressively dangerous NYC was getting as we headed Into the 70s. A lot of people, especially those about 30 and under don't know about the pre-Guiliani city that served as a backdrop for films like Death Wish and Taxi Driver and how rough a place it could be.
Old May 24 2013, 03:30 PM   #163
Lord Garth
Captain

I'm a little surprised that SCDPCGC would expend so much "effort" into creative when Chevy won't even pick anything until 1970.
I might be wrong but I thought the agency was getting paid big bucks to expend the effort at this time.
I didn't say they weren't but still...
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:57 PM   #164
the G-man
Commodore

It's a business. They get paid by clients to come up with advertisements. As long as they are getting paid sufficient money to make a profit it would surprising for them to turn it down just because those ads aren't getting published for a few years. It only becomes an issue if they allow the client to so consume the agency that they lose other business and can't recover if they lose GM.
Old May 24 2013, 06:58 PM   #165
J.T.B.
Commodore

I didn't say they weren't but still...
I don't know that they have a choice after losing Jaguar and Vicks.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote