RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,894
Posts: 5,476,808
Members: 25,050
Currently online: 462
Newest member: aloraptor

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old May 24 2013, 04:37 AM   #151
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Yes, I believe that, in the sense of reviving a stale and mostly dormant property, J.J. Abrams' efforts saved the franchise.

Also, regarding TOS deep intellectual introspection, I offer this:

This is disingenuous. No one said Star Trek and particularly TOS lacked or eschewed action/adventure.
Didn't say it lacked it, I'm just keeping it from being placed on this pedestal of philosophical wonderment that it neither deserves, and upon which it doesn't belong. As it gets older, the Original Series is quickly becoming Nichelle Nichols' Martin Luther King story.
And I don't think anyone here (at least in this thread) made that claim.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 04:44 AM   #152
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang with Ridges
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Did Abrams save Star Trek from what? Was it in some kind of danger? Was al Qaeda involved?
Becoming a minor footnote in the pop cultural history of the late 20th Century.
Nerys Myk is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 04:45 AM   #153
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Did Abrams save Star Trek from what? Was it in some kind of danger? Was al Qaeda involved?
Becoming a minor footnote in the pop cultural history of the late 20th Century.
No, I don't think it was in danger of becoming that.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 04:51 AM   #154
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Did Abrams save Star Trek from what? Was it in some kind of danger? Was al Qaeda involved?
Becoming a minor footnote in the pop cultural history of the late 20th Century.
Star Trek was never in any danger of being a "minor footnote." It's the most iconic series in science fiction.

You say "science fiction" to a random person on the street and Star Trek is most likely what pops into their head.

I don't understand the philosophy of continuing to making new Trek just for the sake of making new Trek.
Third Nacelle is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 04:51 AM   #155
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Did Abrams save Star Trek from what? Was it in some kind of danger? Was al Qaeda involved?
Becoming a minor footnote in the pop cultural history of the late 20th Century.
Yes, this sums it up pretty well.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 04:54 AM   #156
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: The Countryside
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
And I don't think anyone here (at least in this thread) made that claim.
There is, however, a sense of reverence when it comes to TOS, that it's this inviolable property that spoke of higher moral certitude, and made you really think. The idea that its philosophies ran deep. The Original Series was a western in space, that mostly substituted magic with the appearance of science, and had lots of slam bang action sequences along with its occasional forays into morality.
__________________
-----------------------
💗 Visit Brony Kingdom 💗
-----------------------
J. Allen is online now  
Old May 24 2013, 05:00 AM   #157
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
And I don't think anyone here (at least in this thread) made that claim.
There is, however, a sense of reverence when it comes to TOS, that it's this inviolable property that spoke of higher moral certitude, and made you really think. The idea that its philosophies ran deep. The Original Series was a western in space, that mostly substituted magic with the appearance of science, and had lots of slam bang action sequences along with its occasional forays into morality.
If at heart and in overall sensibility TOS had been just another run-of-the-mill sci-fi show it wouldn't have connected with succeeding generations of fans.

And we wouldn't be here debating it more than forty years later.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 05:03 AM   #158
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang with Ridges
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Did Abrams save Star Trek from what? Was it in some kind of danger? Was al Qaeda involved?
Becoming a minor footnote in the pop cultural history of the late 20th Century.
No, I don't think it was in danger of becoming that.
When your "output" is regulated to moderately selling books and fanfilms, then yes it does.

Third Nacelle wrote:
Star Trek was never in any danger of being a "minor footnote." It's the most iconic series in science fiction.

You say "science fiction" to a random person on the street and Star Trek is most likely what pops into their head.

I don't understand the philosophy of continuing to making new Trek just for the sake of making new Trek.
Is it? Yeah, I'd like to think so. But that's just me.

If they don't say "Star Wars", "aliens and space ships" or "I don't watch that stuff".

You realize its a commercial property, right? And the owners would like to make money off it.
Nerys Myk is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 05:07 AM   #159
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
And the owners would like to make money off it.
So we're on the same page after all.
Third Nacelle is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 05:12 AM   #160
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang with Ridges
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
And the owners would like to make money off it.
So we're on the same page after all.
Then you do understand the philosophy of why they continue make new Star Trek for sake of making new Star Trek.
Nerys Myk is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 05:24 AM   #161
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

No, I understand the FACTS of why Star Trek does continue to get made.

I do not understand the philosophy of why people believe it SHOULD continue to get made. By that logic they should reboot The Golden Girls, or MASH or ER, or Seinfeld.

Maybe this will sound like blasphemy, but Star Trek ran out of new stories to tell about halfway through Voyager. It needed a much longer break. If there's going to be new Star Trek, it should be NEW Star Trek. I don't hate the Abrams movies, but I don't see what they add to the franchise. They're pastiche bordering on parody.
Third Nacelle is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 05:30 AM   #162
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang with Ridges
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
No, I understand the FACTS of why Star Trek does continue to get made.

I do not understand the philosophy of why people believe it SHOULD continue to get made. By that logic they should reboot The Golden Girls, or MASH or ER, or Seinfeld.

Maybe this will sound like blasphemy, but Star Trek ran out of new stories to tell about halfway through Voyager. It needed a much longer break. If there's going to be new Star Trek, it should be NEW Star Trek. I don't hate the Abrams movies, but I don't see what they add to the franchise. They're pastiche bordering on parody.
I see no reason why they shouldn't reboot any of those. Okay, maybe not Seinfeld, but only because of it's connection to Jerry Seinfeld.

Star Trek ran out of new ideas halfway through TOS season one.

Nah it should be new stories about Kirk and Spock.
Nerys Myk is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 05:37 AM   #163
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: The Countryside
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
If at heart and in overall sensibility TOS had been just another run-of-the-mill sci-fi show it wouldn't have connected with succeeding generations of fans.

And we wouldn't be here debating it more than forty years later.
Sure Star Trek connects with people, and it seems the new movies are doing the same. What's your point?
__________________
-----------------------
💗 Visit Brony Kingdom 💗
-----------------------
J. Allen is online now  
Old May 24 2013, 06:03 AM   #164
Lord Garth
Captain
 
Lord Garth's Avatar
 
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

JJ Abrams is giving us three films. No more, no less. He was in the right place at the right time.

Paramount would've eventually wanted to reboot Star Trek, Abrams or not. CBS will eventually want a new Star Trek series. If not them, then Paramount when it gets its own TV wing (back) up and they'd work something out with CBS in that scenario.

Even in 2005, I never thought ENT would be the last series but I didn't expect one any time soon. When CBS and whoever else might be the right people are good and ready, they'll have a new series.

On the film end, ST XIV may continue in the Abrams style or whoever produces/directs after him will want to do Star Trek their way.* It would be revamped again at the very least but more likely just rebooted again.

* I know there's a strong chance JJ Abrams won't direct ST XIII but he'll still be producing and they'll probably want to keep the next film consistent with the first two so I don't see any serious changes happening until after that.
Lord Garth is offline  
Old May 24 2013, 07:31 AM   #165
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: The Countryside
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
JJ Abrams is giving us three films. No more, no less. He was in the right place at the right time.

Paramount would've eventually wanted to reboot Star Trek, Abrams or not. CBS will eventually want a new Star Trek series. If not them, then Paramount when it gets its own TV wing (back) up and they'd work something out with CBS in that scenario.

Even in 2005, I never thought ENT would be the last series but I didn't expect one any time soon. When CBS and whoever else might be the right people are good and ready, they'll have a new series.

On the film end, ST XIV may continue in the Abrams style or whoever produces/directs after him will want to do Star Trek their way.* It would be revamped again at the very least but more likely just rebooted again.

* I know there's a strong chance JJ Abrams won't direct ST XIII but he'll still be producing and they'll probably want to keep the next film consistent with the first two so I don't see any serious changes happening until after that.
Yes, he was in the right place at the right time, but it still takes the right skill set to make a profitable, and popular, movie in a franchise besotted with 40+ years of canon and fandom. Star Trek XI, in someone else's hands, could have failed miserably. Instead, it broke previous box office records.

I think J.J. deserves a little credit for that.
__________________
-----------------------
💗 Visit Brony Kingdom 💗
-----------------------
J. Allen is online now  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.