Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old May 24 2013, 12:20 AM   #136
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

I would say he kept it in the mainstream. If Nu Trek wasn't a success, it would have been strike 3, and the studios might have given up on the franchise.

Abrams is on the record as saying he was never a fan of Trek. That would be all the more reason to study a bible, if just to avoid some crazy changes to a character.

Nu Trek is obviously a blockbuster movie--big explosions, nonstop actions etc. the somewhat silly gimmicks like the Spock and Uhura relationship, (my opinion) but it works--it's making money.

I still have a hard time with the Kirk going from cadet to captain in a few short minutes, and the Spok/Uhura thing, but the movie did put Trek back in the spotlight.

The thing is, if it keeps following the blockbuster formula, then the danger is that withing a few years there will be a reboot yet again--like Spiderman, Superman, Batman, ect.
Old May 24 2013, 12:31 AM   #137
CorporalClegg
Admiral

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
Wow - could not disagree more with your assessment of why a creative person creates. From my experience (married to an artist, not a writer), a creative person creates because they have something inside them that needs expression. Maybe it's different for a creative person who is a writer, than for a creative person who is an artist.
This thread is moving pretty quickly so this might have already been adressed, but I'll bet most (all?) of the professional writers on this site would disagree too. Of course it's great to earn a living, but is that the initial concern? Is that what first motivates a creative person to create? I'm thinking . . . NO!
Self expression isn't entertaining?

Old May 24 2013, 02:16 AM   #138
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Love or hate the Abrams films, I definitely recommend the special features disc that came with the Blu-ray release of the first film.

Great stuff.
Old May 24 2013, 02:47 AM   #139
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I wasn't aware the franchise needed "saving" so to say. This is just the latest incarnation. I suspect after JJ's gone, there will be something else. Just the way it works.
Old May 24 2013, 03:34 AM   #140
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CDR6 wrote: View Post
It doesn't matter what flavor of cool aid you hawking... if you can't get butts in the seats (fans/movie goers/what ever) you're done.
Movie goers and "Star Trek fans" are overlapping sets but far from congruent. "The fans" haven't made the Abrams movies the successes that they are, and to some extent have impeded success. They sure as hell didn't "save the franchise" after TV Trek imploded, sorry.

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
The thing is, if it keeps following the blockbuster formula, then the danger is that withing a few years there will be a reboot yet again--like Spiderman, Superman, Batman, ect.
Apparently some obscure meaning of the word "danger" that I was previously unfamiliar with.
Old May 24 2013, 03:41 AM   #141
BillJ
Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post

Movie goers and "Star Trek fans" are overlapping sets but far from congruent. "The fans" haven't made the Abrams movies the successes that they are, and to some extent have impeded success. They sure as hell didn't "save the franchise" after TV Trek imploded, sorry.
Well, I'm not sure how much we've impeded success this time. I see lots of people around these parts who have went to Into Darkness multiple times. I know I've seen it three times and have bought six tickets total.
Old May 24 2013, 03:42 AM   #142
Gojira
Commodore

R. Star wrote: View Post
I wasn't aware the franchise needed "saving" so to say. This is just the latest incarnation. I suspect after JJ's gone, there will be something else. Just the way it works.
The Franchise had gone either very stale or dead. It did need to be brought back to life.

My opinion is that for those that dislike JJ Abrams if someone they liked had saved Star Trek they would be on here singing their praises.
Old May 24 2013, 03:52 AM   #143
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Well, I'm not sure how much we've impeded success this time. I see lots of people around these parts who have went to Into Darkness multiple times.
Yeah, but the loud complaining and bitching about arcane continuity trivia that some do perpetuates the popular notion that Star Trek is somehow an enthusiasm for...someone most folks don't want to be. Or sit next to. The Onion knew their stuff.

And this week we can add "offended by good looking people in skimpy clothing" to the list of weird stereotypes
Old May 24 2013, 03:57 AM   #144
Warped9
Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
My opinion is that for those that dislike JJ Abrams if someone they liked had saved Star Trek they would be on here singing their praises.
Quite possibly. Can't really argue that...if I'd liked the direction the reboot went and its overall execution.

I've certainly made no secret of my dissatisfaction with how the product onscreen has evolved over the years. But even in disapproval I can't ignore it kept people talking, discussing, debating and even arguing. It kept us interested whether we agreed or not.

And through all of it I kept picking up stuff tied in to my preferred series be they video, books, magazines, soundtracks, models, whatever as well as creating and sharing my own stuff. I kept promoting and defending what I liked. And in that, in each our own way, we kept the interest and the franchise alive.

Last edited by Warped9; May 24 2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old May 24 2013, 04:02 AM   #145
BillJ
Admiral

And this week we can add "offended by good looking people in skimpy clothing" to the list of weird stereotypes
There is no arguing this point.
Old May 24 2013, 04:13 AM   #146
sonak
Vice Admiral

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
I interpreted his comments to mean that if you study a past time period, you know all you need to about it. In my opinion, if you lived through it, you understand it better than someone who did not.
I "lived through it" from the beginning. NBC, 1966.

sonak wrote: View Post
If the 2009 film had bombed, I don't know when we'd have seen new Trek on TV.
Of course, we still don't.

quite right, I meant to write "on screen."
Old May 24 2013, 04:14 AM   #147
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Yes, I believe that, in the sense of reviving a stale and mostly dormant property, J.J. Abrams' efforts saved the franchise.

Also, regarding TOS deep intellectual introspection, I offer this:

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Old May 24 2013, 04:30 AM   #148
Third Nacelle
Captain

Did Abrams save Star Trek from what? Was it in some kind of danger? Was al Qaeda involved?
Old May 24 2013, 04:30 AM   #149
Warped9
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Yes, I believe that, in the sense of reviving a stale and mostly dormant property, J.J. Abrams' efforts saved the franchise.

This is disingenuous. No one said Star Trek and particularly TOS lacked or eschewed action/adventure.
Old May 24 2013, 04:34 AM   #150
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Warped9 wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

This is disingenuous. No one said Star Trek and particularly TOS lacked or eschewed action/adventure.
Didn't say it lacked it, I'm just keeping it from being placed on this pedestal of philosophical wonderment that it neither deserves, and upon which it doesn't belong. As it gets older, the Original Series is quickly becoming Nichelle Nichols' Martin Luther King story.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Closed Thread