Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 23 2013, 11:56 PM   #856
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Fox has the rights to "Fantastic Four" and "X-Men" as long they continue to develop them into feature films, yes. Same thing with Sony Pictures and "Spider-Man". Neither of them will relinquish or sell off these rights as long as they're making truck loads of cash with them.

Also Marvel wasn't "stupid" about anything...they were in bankruptcy and needed the cash and these character rights were very valuable assets.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:01 AM   #857
Dream
Admiral

The one thing that really annoys me...

He's shooting first, so presumably, he will win the showdown in terms of being the first to define the character on film. Marvel has larger plans for the character, though, and wants to use him for more than just one action sequence.
A huge weakness with all the X-men movies are the characters that make an appearance just because of an action scene and are never mentioned again. Joss was actually going to make Quicksilver a prominent member of the Avengers. I really hope QS in DOFP doesn't discourage Joss from using QS and and Scarlett Witch in Avengers 2.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:05 AM   #858
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Fox has the rights to "Fantastic Four" and "X-Men" as long they continue to develop them into feature films, yes. Same thing with Sony Pictures and "Spider-Man". Neither of them will relinquish or sell off these rights as long as they're making truck loads of cash with them.

Also Marvel wasn't "stupid" about anything...they were in bankruptcy and needed the cash and these character rights were very valuable assets.
Still, who gives up the rights to their characters in a big form of media basically forever? I guess, from what you say, they didn't have much choice, but you'd think they would have put some kind of time limit on the rights, even if its a few decades.

Dream wrote: View Post

He's shooting first, so presumably, he will win the showdown in terms of being the first to define the character on film. Marvel has larger plans for the character, though, and wants to use him for more than just one action sequence.

A huge weakness with all the X-men movies are the characters that make an appearance just because of an action scene and are never mentioned again. Joss was actually going to make Quicksilver a prominent member of the Avengers. I really hope QS in DOFP doesn't discourage Joss from using QS and and Scarlett Witch in Avengers 2.

Yeah, that kind of thing sucks. I was really ticked off by Colossus in X3. I like the character, but he got literally one line the entire movie. Hopefully Whedon will be able to use the characters, as much as I'm excited for DOFP, he'll probably use them better than the X-men movie will.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:15 AM   #859
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I don't see why they'd be concerned about it. If Fox is going to be a dick about it, just flat out ignore their franchise and focus on their own.

Until they get the rights back and can actually add them back into their franchise, why even pretend that the two are related?
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:20 AM   #860
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post

Maybe QS and SW only appear in an alternate DOFP timeline? That way, both Singer and Wheden can do whatever they want with the characters without stepping on each other's toes.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:22 AM   #861
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

They're both supposed to be able to use them without any problems, so I don't see why this has to become a messy situation...unless Fox is just being their douchey self.

Old May 24 2013, 12:27 AM   #862
Dream
Admiral

Pretty funny how each director announced their Quicksilver news

Two weeks ago:

Joss Whedon: I've got a brother and sister duo I wanna use for Avengers 2. There aren't many brother/sister heroes out there, right? Wink wink!

Today:

Bryan Singer: HEY, WE GOT QUICKSILVER IN THE NEXT X-MEN MOVIE WE'VE BEEN FILMING FOR A MONTH OR SO.
Old May 24 2013, 12:52 AM   #863
Dream
Admiral

I think this is the most interesting part of the article

This is the first time this has happened, and there is still time for Fox to blink. If they push forward and allow Singer to include the character, there's a chance they're burning down any future cooperation with Marvel, who have proven themselves to be hard negotiators who aren't afraid to flex whatever muscle they have.
Is FOX doing this just to spite Disney?
Old May 24 2013, 12:53 AM   #864
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I doubt it's first-come-first-serve. It's far more likely that it's just overlapping rights.
Old May 24 2013, 02:13 AM   #865
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Feige already said that both Marvel Studios and FOX can use the characters, so I'm not seeing what the issue/dispute here is.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 02:59 AM   #866
Dream
Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Feige already said that both Marvel Studios and FOX can use the characters, so I'm not seeing what the issue/dispute here is.
The problem isn't that FOX is using Quicksilver.

The problem is that they are giving him a pointless action scene role, right after Joss announced he was planning to use Quicksilver as a prominent character in Avengers 2. Also Fox shoehorns in as many X-characters in as they can whether they have personalities or not. This has become a major problem for the films. It feels like FOX is only doing it to spite Disney, giving QS a pointless role and leaving Joss to pick up the pieces.
Old May 24 2013, 03:03 AM   #867
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Still not seeing the issue here, as, again, both studios can legally use the characters; it doesn't matter in what capacity they're used by one studio as opposed to the other; the only restriction is that Marvel can't refer to them as mutants or mention their connection to Magneto, which isn't that big of a deal anyway.

Old May 24 2013, 03:03 AM   #868
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^^ "A pointless action scene role"? What? We don't even know how Singer is going to use him in the film. Also this is Singer so he's not just going to be using Pietro just because. This isn't the same Fox reigme as it was before since Tom Rothman departed.

Old May 24 2013, 03:07 AM   #869
Dream
Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
^ Still not seeing the issue here, as, again, both studios can legally use the characters; it doesn't matter in what capacity they're used by one studio as opposed to the other.
There is also a fear that with Singer using QS now, Joss might be pressured to drop the character by Disney to avoid confusion in Avengers 2. If this results in no Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2, I will be very disappointed.
Old May 24 2013, 03:10 AM   #870
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Once again, I'm not seeing the issue. Feige said both studios can use the characters; he put no caveats on that use beyond the one I already mentioned with regards to the word mutant and the characters' connection to Magneto.