Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 23 2013, 06:51 PM   #1
CommanderRyan
Ensign

Star Trek: TNG film era reboot?

Depending on your outlook on the J.J. Abram films depends on how good of an idea you think this is I am not saying I want it its more of a what if question since I prefer TNG era over original series era. But what if they eventually do TNG era films following this new storyline they have in the films? I am sure by this point in time if this is even a thought that a new director would be doing these films. Would it be interesting to see new actors in the role of Picard, Riker, Dr. Crusher, Data, Counselor Troi, Geordi, Worf and etc? Hopefully if they did do this in this era of time they would have Klingons more closer to the TNG tv series. So thoughts?
CommanderRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Third Nacelle
Captain

Re: Star Trek: TNG film era reboot?

Why does everything have to endlessly be rebooted/remade/reimagined? Aren't there any good NEW ideas out there?

Personally, I would not want to see TNG remade. It never translated well from TV to film, and I don't believe a new cast could change that. As a television series, I think it was done right the first time and don't see how a remake could possibly improve upon it.

It was great, now it's over. Leave it alone.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:52 PM   #3
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

TNG was an excellent TV series. It stunk as a film series. And it would stink on ice if they attempted to "reimagine" it as a modern Hollywood summer blockbuster film. All IMHO, of course.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Chensams
Vice Admiral

No thanks. I'm quite happy with 7 seasons we had and particularly happy with the characters as they were.

Additionally, while TNG was my favorite Trek, there just isn't the mass market draw that TOS has/had with Kirk, Spock, and Bones.
Old May 23 2013, 09:18 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bring it on. But ditch Riker, a captain-in-training really has no place in a two-hour, big-budget tentpole film.
Old May 23 2013, 09:36 PM   #6
CorporalClegg
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Bring it on. But ditch Riker, a captain-in-training really has no place in a two-hour, big-budget tentpole film.
The man of action part of him work okay in juxtaposition to Picard, but you're right about the captain in training.

Actually, I think it would be more accurate to call him "Kirk in training" which is even worse.

Though, if you're only going to stick with Action Man, why not just make Worf the XO? Way more interesting that way, besides.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 09:42 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
The man of action part of him work okay in juxtaposition to Picard, but you're right about the captain in training.

Actually, I think it would be more accurate to call him "Kirk in training" which is even worse.

Though, if you're only going to stick with Action Man, why not just make Worf the XO? Way more interesting that way, besides.
I think you make Picard a touch younger and your action man. You round out your big three with Data and Troi as a full-blown telepath. If you have a "Riker" character, you make him a junior officer someone not integral to the plot.
Old May 23 2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Since this is an alternate timeline, we could have an entirely new crew...with perhaps some tie-in to the rebooted movies (i.e. a descendent of one of the crew). But more possibilities: different ethnicities, many more aliens, etc.

If, in 20 years, there's a demand, that's the way to go, I think.

(They also need to kill off Kirk in a more dignified way)
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 09:58 PM   #9
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I've said this many times, but I think the fate of the Ent-C would make for a great film, as a one-off.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:25 PM   #10
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

TNG could very easily translate well to film, they just didn't bring in writers with good experience writing features, who were creatively burned out at the time.

Most people think First Contact is a good film.

I wouldn't object to seeing 24th century action in the Abrams-verse. But only somebody has a really good idea for that. Don't have 24th-century reboot for the sake of having a reboot. Come up with a good idea that needs one first.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:31 PM   #11
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

With a spanking new reboot of TOS, I don't think they have much need to spin off into a further future era. What would be really nifty, if they happened to be doing a story in the current series involving time travel to or from that era, would be if the current crew encountered a future Enterprise manned by reimagined versions of the TNG crew.

Heck, they could do something a lot like "Yesterday's Enterprise" with the JJ-prise playing the role of the Ent-C. They'd have to get back to their own era and take actions to prevent the dystopian future that Picard's crew is living in.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:40 PM   #12
ConRefit79
Captain

Please no. Can no one in Hollywood come up with something original?
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:49 PM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Riker wasn't the captain in training, he was the ship's executive officer, its second-in-command. Spock served in the exact same capacity except he also doubled as chief sciences officer.

If anything, TMP & TNG "got it right" by having the XO be a full-time job onto itself, rather than a part-time one shown in TOS.
Old May 24 2013, 12:17 AM   #14
MacLeod
Admiral

I'm not sure it would work. To the average person on the street ST is Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty etc.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:41 AM   #15
BillJ
Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Riker wasn't the captain in training, he was the ship's executive officer, its second-in-command. Spock served in the exact same capacity except he also doubled as chief sciences officer.

If anything, TMP & TNG "got it right" by having the XO be a full-time job onto itself, rather than a part-time one shown in TOS.
Problem being, you only have so many minutes in a movie to tell a story. Even in the new films characters are under utilized. By eliminating Riker, you free screen time for other characters.