To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 23 2013, 10:02 PM   #31
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Was there a TMP Enterprise outrage ?

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Don't believe me?
Of course I don't.

I know better than to accept your unfounded assertion.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 10:15 PM   #32
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Aside from the new look of the Klingons and the new Starfleet uniforms, I think the biggest criticisms by fans were in regards to the movie itself being too slow, too long, and not having enough action. In comparison, the redesigned Enterprise was received favorably by all but the fiercest fans of the original design.
Which is odd when the same fans claim that the new Star Trek movies have too much action and that old Trek was all intellectual and stuff.
There's a happy medium to be found somewhere between the two extremes.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 10:58 PM   #33
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Monosyllabic declarations like that don't prove much.
I think he proved that you'd made an inaccurate sweeping statement.

I don't find it ugly at all, either. Inside or out.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:00 PM   #34
Belz...
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I like the bridge, still torn on engineering, like the Enterprise exterior though I wished the nacelles were spaced further apart.
Yeah, I think so, too, but I've come to like that as well.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:26 PM   #35
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Old timer reporting in.

No, I don't recall much outrage about TMP Enterprise over TOS Enterprise. It was widely accepted as a beautiful design, as it is. Some fans commented about certain elements, but nothing to constitute a backlash against the new design.

As mentioned above, most negative comments were about the interior re-design rather than exterior appearance. And the new uniforms and new Klingons sparked more controversy than the new Enterprise.

As an aside, drawing from my lifetime decades of fandom, the greatest fan uproar and outrage over *anything* in Star Trek was the introduction of TNG in 1987. Fans today are accustomed to new ships, new series, new crews, new actors. But at the time, Star Trek was and could only be Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley and Kirk/Spock/McCoy and the Enterprise.

New actors and new characters calling themselves Star Trek? It seems strange today, but boy TNG really had a hell of a time from the fans at the start. I don't recall anything in Star Trek generating such an uproar. Very divisive at the time, and perhaps justified during that uneven first season.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:29 PM   #36
General_Phoenix
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to General_Phoenix Send a message via AIM to General_Phoenix Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to General_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to General_Phoenix

I can't comment much on what people thought of the Connie refit back then since I was still fairly young, but I personally loved the design. It seems to be almost universally accepted now though, a lot of people seem to love the design. One gripe I have is the dull paint job they gave it in later films, in TMP it had a pearlesque paint job, almost self illuminating, I think they started to dull the paint job in Wrath of Khan and every film after that had a duller paint scheme. But it became that design became a fan favorite, I distinctly remember a collective gasp in the theater when the Enterprise A was unveiled at the end of IV.

I like the 2009 Enterprise as well though, I think I read somewhere that in new timeline the Constitution Class was delayed 10 years or so, so I guess this design has refit elements already there.
Old May 23 2013, 11:30 PM   #37
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Not in the slightest, and I'm embarrassed for you making such a statement. That you would even venture a defense of someone who didn't back up a significant percentage of his posts with content, since you nearly always make a point of supporting your assertions with content, seems counter to form.

I probably disagreed with over half of your views down through the years, but even so, your views are always supported by more than the internet equivalent of 'so there!'
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:47 PM   #38
Belz...
Fleet Captain

General_Phoenix wrote: View Post
I can't comment much on what people thought of the Connie refit back then since I was still fairly young, but I personally loved the design. It seems to be almost universally accepted now though, a lot of people seem to love the design. One gripe I have is the dull paint job they gave it in later films, in TMP it had a pearlesque paint job, almost self illuminating, I think they started to dull the paint job in Wrath of Khan and every film after that had a duller paint scheme.
That may be so. Though the paint on the TMP Enterprise was a bit special, I think, and lit the way it was in TWOK may have yielded very different looks. The way it looked depended on the lighting and angle, which they try to reproduce with the new 2009 design.

I distinctly remember a collective gasp in the theater when the Enterprise A was unveiled at the end of IV.
I was dissapointed. I wanted a new design.

I like the 2009 Enterprise as well though, I think I read somewhere that in new timeline the Constitution Class was delayed 10 years or so, so I guess this design has refit elements already there.
It gets weirded with the comics, who claim there was another Enterprise 20 years before Into Darkness, which was decommissioned two years prior. From the comics it looks identical to the new one, which is odd.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:51 PM   #39
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

I don't find it ugly at all, either. Inside or out.
Burden of proof is on the person making a ridiculous sweeping generalization. mos6507 has offered none - none at all.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; May 24 2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old May 24 2013, 12:17 AM   #40
General_Phoenix
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to General_Phoenix Send a message via AIM to General_Phoenix Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to General_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to General_Phoenix

Belz... wrote: View Post

I was dissapointed. I wanted a new design.

It gets weirded with the comics, who claim there was another Enterprise 20 years before Into Darkness, which was decommissioned two years prior. From the comics it looks identical to the new one, which is odd.

I haven't gotten around to reading the comics yet, been meaning to though. And yes I would have liked a new design as well, I was a fan of the Excelsior from the moment I saw the ship in III, and am a huge fan of the Enterprise B.
Old May 24 2013, 01:20 AM   #41
Pauln6
Commodore

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I think most people would agree that it strikes them as ugly.
No.
It's not ugly. But... well, you can't improve on perfection.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 01:52 AM   #42
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I remember the flyby of the TMP Enterprise getting a standing ovation on opening night. Then again, Chekov got a standing ovation, so it was that kind of night. The only thing I remember people grumbling about at the time was the way the movie recycled the plot of "The Changeling." I remember jokes along the lines of "Where Nomad Has Gone Before."

But I don't remember any bitching of the ship itself. It was the Starship Enterprise--on the big screen! What else mattered?
Old May 24 2013, 03:20 AM   #43
pfontaine2
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Excellent topic! I was 16 when TMP came out. The fanbase had been primed for many months by articles in Starlog and Cinefantastique that the ship was going to change.

I can only speak for myself but I suspect most everyone would have been happy to see the same sets and costumes from the TV series. When I started seeing the new uniform designs in Starlog magazine, I was horrified.

I remember being okay with the bridge redesign. When i saw the movie, I was terribly disapponted that all those blinking lights that seemed to have a purpose on the TV bridge were replaced by what looked like Christmas tree lights that just blinked randomly, especially at Spock's station.

I must admit liking most of the changes to the ship. i was most upset that technology that seemed commonplace in the series now was treated as if it was dangerous. On the show, the transporter was just a room with a console and the transporter platform. In the movie, there was visible machinery and conduits in the walls giving the magical transporter the feel of a dangerous power station. Worse yet, the transporter operator had to stand behind glass as if to shield them from something equally dangerous. What was fantasy in the show was now cold, hard, functional and drab work.

The characters on the show seemed to enjoy being on the ship. The characters in the movie seemed to have dangerous jobs, or worse yet, boring jobs. I've tried to imagine what those poor people at the standup stations on the new bridge must have felt after a couple of hours staring at their small console while their legs got tired.

Having said all that, I finally had some sort of epiphany a couple of years ago. I watched TMP and wasn't hung up by what I missed from the TV show and suddenly accepted the movie on its own terms. Now, I consider it to be one of my three favorite a trek movies of all time.
pfontaine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 03:24 AM   #44
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

When I saw Galaxy Quest I identified with Alan Rickman's character's reaction to seeing the full-scale working replica of the Protector in space dock, and sort of wondered if it had been inspired by fan response to that ST:TMP drydock sequence: "My god, it's real!"
Old May 24 2013, 05:50 AM   #45
scotpens
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
Kind of reminds me of a sports car from the late 70s ... don't recall its name, but the front and middle looked sharp and exciting like a traditional Corvette ... but then it just stopped, like somebody lopped off the back end of a vette. Just godawful looking, whatever the hell it was.
Opel GT?
The Opel GT was made from 1968 to 1973. And it was pretty, in spite of looking a bit like a Corvette that had been through a trash compactor.

E-DUB wrote: View Post
Trevanian, is this the car you're talking about?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...mg.-UQx1nQlUIQ
He can't possibly be thinking of the Studebaker Avanti, one of the most beautiful cars ever built. Besides, the original Avanti was produced from 1962-1964.

That Indian-made DC Avanti is a new 2013 model. And it looks like a dozen other contemporary high-performance exotic cars.

Last edited by scotpens; May 24 2013 at 06:08 AM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote