IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 23 2013, 06:40 PM   #16
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Was there a TMP Enterprise outrage ?

Aside from the new look of the Klingons and the new Starfleet uniforms, I think the biggest criticisms by fans were in regards to the movie itself being too slow, too long, and not having enough action. In comparison, the redesigned Enterprise was received favorably by all but the fiercest fans of the original design.
Old May 23 2013, 06:51 PM   #17
FredH
Captain

11-year-old me loved the design--in fact, it was the slow flyaround sequence that everybody hated that made me love the ship in the first place, as before that I'd been too young to really notice the Enterprise on TV reruns as anything but "the transportation."

(My discomfort with the 2009 ship arises from the front and back halves of the ship, IMO, looking like they were built by two entirely separate architectures and welded together. Each half is fine in itself, but they belong on different ships.)
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 06:58 PM   #18
Belz...
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Aside from the new look of the Klingons and the new Starfleet uniforms, I think the biggest criticisms by fans were in regards to the movie itself being too slow, too long, and not having enough action. In comparison, the redesigned Enterprise was received favorably by all but the fiercest fans of the original design.
Which is odd when the same fans claim that the new Star Trek movies have too much action and that old Trek was all intellectual and stuff.
Old May 23 2013, 07:14 PM   #19
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
Which is odd when the same fans claim that the new Star Trek movies have too much action and that old Trek was all intellectual and stuff.
Trekkies aged. Surprise!
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:26 PM   #20
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Huh, good point. Why do I feel old, now ?
Old May 23 2013, 07:54 PM   #21
FredH
Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I think the negative reaction to TMP's pace (and among my fellow pre-adolescents at the time, it has to be said, lack of space battles) is what led to every subsequent Trek movie having to be an action film, for good or for ill.
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 08:34 PM   #22
mos6507
Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
I think most people would agree that it strikes them as ugly.
No.
Don't believe me? Run a poll someplace, if it hasn't already been run. Even those who like JJ Trek usually just "tolerate" the production design issues, like the ship, the Applestore bridge, and the brewery engine-room. The only truly pretty part of the JJ Prise is the main dish, and I guess the blue bussard collectors are OK. BTW, I put some thought into expressing my opinions. Would it hurt for you to do more than just write "No" and "Yes"? Monosyllabic declarations like that don't prove much.
Old May 23 2013, 08:34 PM   #23
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

When I first saw ST:TMP, I had mixed feelings about the look of the refit Enterprise, especially the art-deco-ized nacelles. But the design grew on me and now it's my second-favorite Enterprise after the original.

As for the 2009 version -- yeah, it's ugly. Malproportioned, ridiculous looking , and UGLY.

trevanian wrote: View Post
[The 2009 Enterprise] Kind of reminds me of a sports car from the late 70s ... don't recall its name, but the front and middle looked sharp and exciting like a traditional Corvette ... but then it just stopped, like somebody lopped off the back end of a vette. Just godawful looking, whatever the hell it was.
Could you be thinking of the Bricklin?

Old May 23 2013, 08:52 PM   #24
J.T.B.
Commodore

Only the dish reads remotely that way to me, with the rest just messing with proportions in a disturbing/distracting fashion.
Yeah, I don't find it appealing. For me the '79 model had a combination of gracefulness and substance that none of the rest have managed.

Kind of reminds me of a sports car from the late 70s ... don't recall its name, but the front and middle looked sharp and exciting like a traditional Corvette ... but then it just stopped, like somebody lopped off the back end of a vette. Just godawful looking, whatever the hell it was.
Opel GT?
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 09:05 PM   #25
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Don't believe me? Run a poll someplace, if it hasn't already been run. Even those who like JJ Trek usually just "tolerate" the production design issues, like the ship, the Applestore bridge, and the brewery engine-room. The only truly pretty part of the JJ Prise is the main dish, and I guess the blue bussard collectors are OK. BTW, I put some thought into expressing my opinions. Would it hurt for you to do more than just write "No" and "Yes"? Monosyllabic declarations like that don't prove much.
Long paragraphs declaring without evidence that most people find the design ugly doesn't prove much either. At least "no" is concise.

As for the design, it's a matter of personal taste. However, having seen Apple stores, I find the comparison with the Enterprise bridge exaggerated. Furthermore, I find the "industrial" look of the engine room far more realistic than any other Trek before. I don't think they'll make reactor rooms look like admiral lounges even 300 years in the future.
Old May 23 2013, 09:07 PM   #26
E-DUB
Captain

I wouldn't say outrage, just controversy.

Trevanian, is this the car you're talking about?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...mg.-UQx1nQlUIQ
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 09:20 PM   #27
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Hi,

This question is for the old timers.

We've all seen the... rather heated comments about the design of Enterprise for the 2009 movie, so I was wondering if something similar happened in '79 when TMP came out and the now-classic redesign was made.

Thanks,
Pick up a copy of The Best of Trek #3 on Amazon and see for yourself. "Change for the sake of change" is a recurring complaint, and the article calling the new-look Klingons "spine-headed munchkins" is hilarious.

Then take a look at Best of Trek #7, where fans complain about the next round of changes in Wrath of Khan, concluding that "...the Federation has been overwhelmed and drastically altered by some cataclysm- possibly revolution." and that Star Trek has become "Indiana Skywalker meets the son of Star Wars"

Now take a look at the complaints in the XI+ forum. Nothing has changed
Old May 23 2013, 09:52 PM   #28
trevanian
Rear Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Only the dish reads remotely that way to me, with the rest just messing with proportions in a disturbing/distracting fashion.
Yeah, I don't find it appealing. For me the '79 model had a combination of gracefulness and substance that none of the rest have managed.

Kind of reminds me of a sports car from the late 70s ... don't recall its name, but the front and middle looked sharp and exciting like a traditional Corvette ... but then it just stopped, like somebody lopped off the back end of a vette. Just godawful looking, whatever the hell it was.
Opel GT?
Ding-ding-ding!
Yeah, I kept thinking Opus or Opal, but wasn't sure. My boss' kid had one of those things, and every time he tried one of those 'high&mighty' acts at work because he could get away with it, I'd tell him somebody stole the back half of his car.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 09:55 PM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I think most people would agree that it strikes them as ugly.
No.
I like the bridge, still torn on engineering, like the Enterprise exterior though I wished the nacelles were spaced further apart.
Old May 23 2013, 09:59 PM   #30
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Long paragraphs declaring without evidence that most people find the design ugly doesn't prove much either. At least "no" is concise.
When a simple declarative syllable becomes the near-constant default Imperialist response by one poster to most dissenting views, it isn't being concise -- it's just being highhanded & dismissive without providing any countering content.

Of course, the inevitable post consisting of the word 'no' that will doubtless follow at some point won't be considered trolling.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote