Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 23 2013, 01:21 PM   #76
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
If Earth had rats that big they'd probably have been hunted to extinction by now.
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 03:46 PM   #77
flavaflav
Commander

If Luke does pop up, I think it will be as a background character to an Obi-Wan on Tatooine story. probably something along the lines of Luke being found out to be Vaders kid by some bounty hunters and Obi-Wan saves his ass without Luke ever knowing it.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:23 PM   #78
billcosby
Commodore

I think Luke's life would have been pretty boring until those droids showed up in his life.
Leia though.... I can imagine she got into a lot of exciting situations helping out daddy, Mon Mothma, Admiral Ackbar, etc.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:45 PM   #79
Christopher
Writer

flavaflav wrote: View Post
probably something along the lines of Luke being found out to be Vaders kid by some bounty hunters...
Yeah, someone brilliant and devious enough to figure out that they're both named "Skywalker"...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:00 PM   #80
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
probably something along the lines of Luke being found out to be Vaders kid by some bounty hunters...
Yeah, someone brilliant and devious enough to figure out that they're both named "Skywalker"...
is it public knowledge in the SW universe that Darth Vader == Anakin Skywalker? Did anyone beyond Obi-Wan and Yoda know and survive?
Old May 23 2013, 07:35 PM   #81
Relayer1
Commodore

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
is it public knowledge in the SW universe that Darth Vader == Anakin Skywalker? Did anyone beyond Obi-Wan and Yoda know and survive?
Mace Windu ?
Old May 23 2013, 08:17 PM   #82
Christopher
Writer

I was referring more to the fact that it shouldn't have been that hard for Vader himself, or the Emperor, to figure out that a Tattooine-dwelling boy named Skywalker might be related to him. I'm hardly the first person to offer that criticism of what the prequels established, so I thought people would get the joke.

Old May 23 2013, 09:07 PM   #83
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

Mace Windu ?
Presumably he's dead.

I was referring more to the fact that it shouldn't have been that hard for Vader himself, or the Emperor, to figure out that a Tattooine-dwelling boy named Skywalker might be related to him. I'm hardly the first person to offer that criticism of what the prequels established, so I thought people would get the joke.
The fannish explanation of that is that Tattooine was chosen since it was somewhere to which Anakin would never want to return due to what happened with his mother. Whether that makes sense, I dunno.
Old May 23 2013, 09:49 PM   #84
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

I'm guessing Mace probably died, though if he didn't and he somehow managed to slip into hiding and avoid the Emperor's and Vader's troops and spies over the years he's probably keeping as low a profile as humanly possible.

After all, after Yoda he was the most senior and highest-ranking Jedi in the galaxy and would probably leave a pretty powerful Force trail. Masking himself from discovery by practicioners of the Dark Side would be his first priority because he could always change his physical appearance to fool the vast majority of regular citizens who happened to see him.
Old May 23 2013, 10:20 PM   #85
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I'm guessing Mace probably died, though if he didn't and he somehow managed to slip into hiding and avoid the Emperor's and Vader's troops and spies over the years he's probably keeping as low a profile as humanly possible.

After all, after Yoda he was the most senior and highest-ranking Jedi in the galaxy and would probably leave a pretty powerful Force trail. Masking himself from discovery by practicioners of the Dark Side would be his first priority because he could always change his physical appearance to fool the vast majority of regular citizens who happened to see him.
The Zahn-explanation for that is that the Dark Jedi that Yoda defeated on Dagobah (creating the Dark Side impression in the dead tree where Luke fights himself as Vader) acted as a 'shield' for Yoda's own force impression.
Old May 23 2013, 10:20 PM   #86
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Ones than can reach six feet in length from nose to tail? No.
Old May 23 2013, 11:24 PM   #87
Relayer1
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

Mace Windu ?
Presumably he's dead.
Yet likely to appear in the new trilogy...

Old May 24 2013, 12:16 AM   #88
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Ones than can reach six feet in length from nose to tail? No.
I was watching Bizarre Foods and nutria comes close enough for me, nasty.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:23 AM   #89
Christopher
Writer

The largest living rodent is the capybara, which ranges from about one to one and a third meters in length. The largest known extinct rodent is estimated to have been three meters long, about the size of a horse or bull.

Old May 24 2013, 12:26 AM   #90
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, the last real-life rodent that was the size of a fictional Tatooine womp rat lived long ago and has long since gone extinct. But can you imagine if a six-foot-long rodent of that size existed today and the numbers of sport and food hunters who would track the things to the brink of nonexistence?

That's why it's probably for the best that dinosaurs of prehistoric scale have been gone for about 65 million years. Rednecks, poachers and sportsmen would shoot most of them dead for enormous trophies and bragging rights.