New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old May 23 2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Do turbolifts have any sense?

So your objection to horizontal lift tubes is that they make navigating the ship awkward if they are out of service. Yet if the lift network is out of order, navigating the ship at all would be awkward. Those vertical tubes would be just as useless as the horizontal tubes.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:30 PM   #17
Timo
Admiral

The real difference between corridors and turboshafts is that you can walk across a corridor. If a set of cabins is to be provided access by corridor, the corridor goes through two rows of cabins and each has a door opening into the corridor. If the access is exclusively by turbolift, same thing. But if you want both types of access (a definite must in emergencies), then turboshafts severely block corridors (at each cabin door!), whereas corridors don't block other corridors at all, and only block turboshafts at key junctions. You really don't want a corridor and a shaft running parallel because that blocks 50% of corridor access - but you don't want shafts crossing corridors, either, because that truncates and terminates the corridor.

So what you do want is shafts that dodge and weave, climbing over or diving under corridors - but that sounds like a nasty thing to turbocab speed and durability, as all those tight turns must be hell on the machinery.

The alternative is vertical dodging and weaving by corridors rather than shafts, which would make a lot of sense but is prohibitively complex to do on a TV studio floor.

The best alternative would be to have entire decks dedicated to turboshafts, between corridor decks; there's probably plenty of random machinery that needs to go between decks in any case, enough to justify a "tween deck" just barely high enough for a horizontal turboshaft (or then just barely not high enough, so that you have the occasional slight bump on a corridor floor and the occasional low overhang on a corridor ceiling; might look cool).

It seems like, at least on this version, the designers are assuming that turbolifts are the primary means of moving around on the ship.
Also, they are creating maximum compatibility with what we really see happen in the episodes: our heroes walking on a short section of a curved corridor and its radial branch, which is all that exists on the set. This is how you access a random room with a long but fast lift ride and a short but slow walk; if you walked along a greater length of a curved corridor (and thus out of the set!), or took a multiple series of curves and radials, you'd be trespassing on territory better accessed by taking the lift to a closer terminal.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Albertese
Commodore

Faria wrote: View Post
Albertese wrote: View Post

--Alex
whay program did you use to do this?
Adobe Photoshop CS5

--Alex
Old May 23 2013, 08:09 PM   #19
TwoJakes
Ensign

Normal lifts are ok, orizontal lift are not
In addition to carrying personel, the turbolift would carry items too, some weighing in the tonnes.

It's alway made sense to me that most things on the ship could be disassembled to the point where they would fit into a turbolift car.

TwoJakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 08:19 PM   #20
Timo
Admiral

...Whether a stretcher patient would be among those things, I dare not speculate!

OTOH, if you are going to haul a patient around on futuristic stretchers, you no doubt make sure that they

a) hover on their own power
b) hold the patient in place with artificial gravity or the like
c) make the patient immune to accelerations with inertia-damping fields

in which case it's trivial to simply flip the stretchers to a vertical position when they need to fit inside a turbolift.

It just seems that with conventional stretchers, you indeed have to do some disassembly first, at least on the TOS elevators.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:53 AM   #21
Tiberius
Commodore

I think not.

The ships aren't big enough, for , maybe, the excaption of galaxy class.

Turbolisf are just a waste of space.

They could have some sense if they connect just some critical point of the ship (bridge, engineering,sickbay, officer quarters), but just for really big ship.
Very well.

Ensign Faria, please take this engineering report to the bridge. As you don't like turbolifts, please climb sixteen decks in the Jefferies tubes.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 10:36 AM   #22
Faria
Lieutenant

Tiberius wrote: View Post

Very well.

Ensign Faria, please take this engineering report to the bridge. As you don't like turbolifts, please climb sixteen decks in the Jefferies tubes.
I will use stairs
Faria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 12:44 AM   #23
Robert Comsol
Commodore

@ Faria

Since you illustrated this cutaway diagram, I found it interesting that you didn't wonder why the shaft connecting the engineering with the saucer hull is not diagonal.

Of course, turbo lifts make sense. It's an easy way for the DP to box the actors up in a location and have their dialogue recorded.

@ Timo

According to the studio set plans the diameter of the turbo lift was 8' which I believe is enough space to move a TOS stretcher trolley in there together with two medical assistants.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 09:35 AM   #24
Faria
Lieutenant

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
@ Faria

Since you illustrated this cutaway diagram, I found it interesting that you didn't wonder why the shaft connecting the engineering with the saucer hull is not diagonal.

Bob
explain
Old May 25 2013, 10:21 AM   #25
Tiberius
Commodore

Very well.

I will use stairs
Fine. Although I'd love to see how you go using the stairs to climb a sixteen storey building.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 11:17 AM   #26
Faria
Lieutenant

Fine. Although I'd love to see how you go using the stairs to climb a sixteen storey building.
i do it every day: my apartment is on the 12th
Old May 25 2013, 12:37 PM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I always wondered how they could take a turbolift on basically any of the Enterprises and get to main engineering as we see them do quite often. They're consistently cylindrical shaped which pretty much means they're up/down only. And in all the turblolift scenes where they fall/get stuck they're always in a giant elevator shaft with no way out other than the crawl ways or prying open doors.
Old May 25 2013, 01:19 PM   #28
Godblessed1701
Ensign

R. Star wrote: View Post
I always wondered how they could take a turbolift on basically any of the Enterprises and get to main engineering as we see them do quite often. They're consistently cylindrical shaped which pretty much means they're up/down only. And in all the turblolift scenes where they fall/get stuck they're always in a giant elevator shaft with no way out other than the crawl ways or prying open doors.
perhaps mr. comsol should redesign them to be spherical. like balls in a pinball machine. im sure thats how gene originaly intended them to be.
Godblessed1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 06:29 PM   #29
MacLeod
Admiral

Just how often have we seen the turbolift network fail on the show? It seems a fairly robust system like the artificial gravity.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:32 AM   #30
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Godblessed1701 wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
perhaps mr. comsol should redesign them to be spherical. like balls in a pinball machine. im sure thats how gene originaly intended them to be.
That's how they were in the the 2013 "Star Trek" game. The actual turbocars are cylindrical, but they sit inside of a spherical cage that "rolls" in the shaft at perilously high speeds. My impression is that only a few of the turboshafts even travel in straight lines in the Abramsverse and that diagonal/slanted/curved shafts probably exist in this version of the ship.

Which both justifies our feelings about diagonal turboshafts in the "neck" of the ship (in which case the ride from the shuttlebay to the bridge could be an almost straight line with a minor direction change in the saucer section) and explains the putative turboshafts through the pylons to the warp nacelles. OTOH, the NuEnterprise has a lot more ladders and stairs than any other version of the Enterprise save the TOS ship, so it seems to me that the turbolifts either function as rapid vertical lifts between decks or "express line" transit between major areas.