Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 23 2013, 05:28 PM   #16
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: Hannibal (TV series)

I love the show and always find it amusing to see one of the Kids in the Hall playing a serious coroner type.
Old May 23 2013, 05:31 PM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's the FBI. They monitor over 311,591,917 people for peculiar behaviour

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:39 PM   #18
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I've seen the first two episodes. I don't find it all that engaging, but I like the cast. I also like that they plan to work up to the events in Red Dragon, so that's another reason to stick around. No Clarice Starling for later on? That's a real shame. Legality really gets in the way of a lot of things it seems. I hope something changes there. They have time, assuming the show doesn't get cancelled. It should have been on cable where it might have had a chance.

I wonder if they'll ever show episode 4. It was pulled at the last minute.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:53 PM   #19
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

AFAIK, there are no plans to ever air the pulled episode. It'll only be available on DVD/Blu-Ray.
Old May 23 2013, 06:26 PM   #20
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Borgminister wrote: View Post
While it is different and sometimes interesting, there's only so many human hearts, lungs and livers being prepared that I can stomach.
His dinner guests seemed to stomach it pretty well...

Sorry, you set it up and I just couldn't resist.

Pingfah wrote: View Post
I love this show. Mads is so great in the part, he plays the part with perfect understatement. It's my favourite portrayal yet, narrowly beating out Brian Cox in Manhunter. I really hope it doesn't get cancelled, but I think it will.

Given the popularity of the films, I am surprised this hasn't done better. Could it be it is just too grim for people to subject themselves to on a weekly basis? It's probably the darkest show on TV right now.

Can I recommend that people who enjoy Mads in this watch The Hunt? He is really very good in it.
The Hunt was one of the best films of the last year IMO and Mads was great, he really deserved his award in Cannes. Of course, his character in it is the polar opposite of Hannibal - a normal, nice guy accused of something horrible he didn't do and treated as a monster by his community.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I
It was shown outside of the US, I've seen it. I thought it was rather silly that it was pulled. It was less gory than some of the others, and the subject matter had nothing to do with Boston. Apparently Fuller wanted it pulled because it was about kids using guns to kill. So what?

Saul wrote: View Post
My gripe is that there are no normal killers on this show. They're all a bunch of wannabe artists. How many times can we see someone's guts displayed in a different manner and how likely is it that one place could have so many of these nut jobs running around at the same time.
There are lots of "normal" killers, but they aren't investigated by Jack's Unit for Behavioral Science, or if they are, Jack doesn't need Will's help to understand their behavior.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch

Last edited by DevilEyes; May 23 2013 at 10:49 PM.
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 10:24 PM   #21
Aragorn
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I saw it. It was probably the tamest episode of Hannibal, but the subplot continuing the storyline of Abigail Hobbs was the most important stuff.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 10:35 PM   #22
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
AFAIK, there are no plans to ever air the pulled episode. It'll only be available on DVD/Blu-Ray.
The annabell stuff has been released as webisodes.

Which covers about 30 minutes of the total 42 minutes.

And if you're going to watch the webisodes on youtube, then you might as well watch the whole thing, which is is also most likely also on youtube.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 02:24 AM   #23
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I love the show and always find it amusing to see one of the Kids in the Hall playing a serious coroner type.
I find it amusing as well, but he does a good job!
Kitty Worrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:39 AM   #24
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Well, this may have been my least favorite episode. What a waste of Lance Henrickson.
Old May 24 2013, 09:30 AM   #25
Pingfah
Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
The Hunt was one of the best films of the last year IMO and Mads was great, he really deserved his award in Cannes. Of course, his character in it is the polar opposite of Hannibal - a normal, nice guy accused of something horrible he didn't do and treated as a monster by his community.
Yeah, it really digs into you that film, not least because it is so believable, and he really sells it. You can feel the world closing in on him. Really disturbing. The ending really shook me too, even though it was so understated.

Also, the addition of Gillian Anderson to the Hannibal cast makes this even more essential viewing now.

I really am not sure why the cancelled the episode they did? I have seen the whole episode, it seems to bear little to no relation to anything that went on in America that week. Besides being gruesome, but it wasn't even the most gruesome episode, not by any stretch.
Old May 25 2013, 04:58 AM   #26
Janus VI
Captain

I haven't been keeping up with this show even though I fully intended to. Too bad that getting Clarice Starling into the series is going to be difficult. I wonder if they will have the same problem with the Mason Verger character.
Janus VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 05:38 AM   #27
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

The show first needs to survive long enough to get to the Hannibal novel. Fuller has discussed plans to adapt the actual Red Dragon novel for Season 4 of Hannibal; rights to use characters from Silence and Hannibal or adapt them outright would need to be negotiated with MGM. With the show's ratings being where they are, that may all be academic anyway.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 02:25 PM   #28
Janus VI
Captain

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
The show first needs to survive long enough to get to the Hannibal novel.
That wouldn't necessarily be the case with Mason Verger though. Although he doesn't appear until the Hannibal Novel, his backstory happens prior to its main events. Mason is a patient of Lecter's and up to that point his only known survivor.
Janus VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 02:45 PM   #29
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

They can't touch him, though, because Fuller only has the rights to characters from the Red Dragon novel. Regardless of when in the chronology Verger was Lecter's patient, if he doesn't have the rights to adapt the Hannibal novel, then there's no Verger.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 06:06 PM   #30
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
They can't touch him, though, because Fuller only has the rights to characters from the Red Dragon novel. Regardless of when in the chronology Verger was Lecter's patient, if he doesn't have the rights to adapt the Hannibal novel, then there's no Verger.
Don't they have the right to both Red Dragon and Hannibal, just not to characters that originated in The Silence of the Lambs?

http://fuckyeahannibal.tumblr.com/po...her-characters

And that they can work out characters they don't have the right to by changing their name, like they did with Benjamin Raspail/Franklin something.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote