RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Posts: 5,359,695
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 488
Newest member: DasGeneral


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 23 2013, 12:47 PM   #1
starbuck
Commander
 
starbuck's Avatar
 
Location: Scotland
remade scene? (spoilers)

I found the scene with kirk and spock , just as good as TWOK one it worked well, how they played on the twist of kirk dying but what i like too have seen is Mc Coy also run to the scene as he is also his friend and would have added to it .What do you guys think ?
starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
anh165
Commander
 
Re: TWOK remade scene?

I prefered the the original by a mile.

This was probably the weaknest scene in STID, IMO.
__________________
No animals were harmed during posting ...
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 12:52 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: TWOK remade scene?

I preferred the new over the old. I was choking up throught the scene, especially when Spock said, "...because you are my friend."

The original never had any emotional impact on me, but that may be because I'd already seen IV and V, and knew Spock was gonna somehow get better. The same would likely be true of the new if they'd gotten the obvious-in-retrospect Tribble scene hint.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: TWOK remade scene?

King Daniel into Darkness wrote: View Post
I preferred the new over the old. I was choking up throught the scene, especially when Spock said, "...because you are my friend."

The original never had any emotional impact on me, but that may be because I'd already seen IV and V, and knew Spock was gonna somehow get better. The same would likely be true of the new if they'd gotten the obvious-in-retrospect Tribble scene hint.
We're a little different. That was the part, along with the tear, that really didn't work for me, and then we got to the scream. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, though.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 01:12 PM   #5
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: TWOK remade scene?

Hated it the first time, wanted to slap JJ in the face.

Forgave it the second time.

Appreciated it the third time and started thinking about all the dynamics, kind of surprised myself by getting into it.

Fourth time I cried.

So yeah, go see it again.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 01:13 PM   #6
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: TWOK remade scene?

The TWOK scene is definatly better than the new one. It really didn't do much for me, I was thinking I've seen this before.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: TWOK remade scene?

I don't think the point is to say the new one is better, but that it's supposed to be appreciated as being connected to the original one.

I liked it for the most part, but I could have done without Spock shouting Khan. That's been parodied too many times that it was hard to take seriously.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: TWOK remade scene?

I liked it fine.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 03:07 PM   #9
sj4iy
Commander
 
sj4iy's Avatar
 
Location: US
Re: TWOK remade scene?

I liked it better than TWOK. And I had even run across spoilers before even watching the movie so I knew everything. Didn't stop me from sobbing the first time I saw it because the interaction between the two characters felt truly genuine to me. I think it was immensely harder for Spock to watch his friend die than it was for Spock to die himself. And of course, Kirk saying "I'm scared" was where I lost it. I even teared up listening to that part in the soundtrack yesterday (I can pretty much watch the movie in my head while listening to a good soundtrack). Why? Because I thought about Kirk putting his hand on the glass. It has different meaning (in my mind) than when Spock did it. Spock does it to comfort his friend- Kirk dies it because he doesn't want to die alone- he wants to be comforted. It's harder to watch someone so young die than someone who is older. And of course Spock, grappling with his feelings of helplessness, starts to cry. I felt that the scream worked in two ways- it was an outpouring of rage AND it broke the tension of the scene. You knew he was about to deliver and ass-kicking. And I find it incredibly believable that Spock could beat Khan...khan had just CRASHED in a SHIP... It's going to take its toll on everyone. So, there's why I liked that scene and why I didn't cry at all at the first scene (did tear up when old Kirk choked up at the funeral, but that was it).
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 04:02 PM   #10
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral
 
ManOnTheWave's Avatar
 
Location: ManOnTheWave
Re: TWOK remade scene?

I thought it worked surprisingly well considering these two characters have only known each other for two movies, not fifteen plus years.

The scream was laugh out loud funny though.
__________________
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
ManOnTheWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 04:55 PM   #11
The Stig
Rear Admiral
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Location: Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey
Re: TWOK remade scene?

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I don't think the point is to say the new one is better, but that it's supposed to be appreciated as being connected to the original one.

I liked it for the most part, but I could have done without Spock shouting Khan. That's been parodied too many times that it was hard to take seriously.
I liked the Spock shout because it had foundation. He speaks of suppressing his feelings of loss for Vulcan, he absorbs the death of Pike through a mind-meld. Spock here is on the edge and the loss of Kirk shatters what little composure he has left.
__________________
Some say that he was the first choice to play the new Doctor but turned it down when he couldn't put racing stripes on the TARDIS.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:27 PM   #12
mos6507
Captain
 
mos6507's Avatar
 
Re: TWOK remade scene?

teacake wrote: View Post
Hated it the first time, wanted to slap JJ in the face.

Forgave it the second time.

Appreciated it the third time and started thinking about all the dynamics, kind of surprised myself by getting into it.

Fourth time I cried.

So yeah, go see it again.
Sounds like stockholm syndrome to me.
__________________
Fem Trekz on Facebook
mos6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:28 PM   #13
webb3201
Commander
 
Location: Dallas, TX
Re: TWOK remade scene?

starbuck wrote: View Post
I found the scene with kirk and spock , just as good as TWOK one it worked well, how they played on the twist of kirk dying but what i like too have seen is Mc Coy also run to the scene as he is also his friend and would have added to it .What do you guys think ?
Everything about the scene in TWOK was perfect. The setup with bones calling Kirk, the run to the engine room, the crew holding Kirk back, the dying Spock walking into the wall. It was a great scene beautifully done.

The scene in ID was silly and laughable. No resonance at all and all pathos was lost 20 minutes later. horrible.
webb3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:36 PM   #14
sj4iy
Commander
 
sj4iy's Avatar
 
Location: US
Re: TWOK remade scene?

mos6507 wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Hated it the first time, wanted to slap JJ in the face.

Forgave it the second time.

Appreciated it the third time and started thinking about all the dynamics, kind of surprised myself by getting into it.

Fourth time I cried.

So yeah, go see it again.
Sounds like stockholm syndrome to me.
I moved to Japan and didn't like much of the food. After I ate it a few times, I could see how their food was delicious, but in a different way than I was used to. It happens with most things if you give it a chance.
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:51 PM   #15
The Stig
Rear Admiral
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Location: Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey
Re: TWOK remade scene?

webb3201 wrote: View Post
starbuck wrote: View Post
I found the scene with kirk and spock , just as good as TWOK one it worked well, how they played on the twist of kirk dying but what i like too have seen is Mc Coy also run to the scene as he is also his friend and would have added to it .What do you guys think ?
Everything about the scene in TWOK was perfect. The setup with bones calling Kirk, the run to the engine room, the crew holding Kirk back, the dying Spock walking into the wall. It was a great scene beautifully done.

The scene in ID was silly and laughable. No resonance at all and all pathos was lost 20 minutes later. horrible.
I found it to be quite true to life. How often in an action-adventure picture does the hero admit to being scared of his impending death? Kirk pleads with Spock to help him face death with some sort of resolve and Spock is unable to help. Kirk has never been more real and human than he was in that moment.
__________________
Some say that he was the first choice to play the new Doctor but turned it down when he couldn't put racing stripes on the TARDIS.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.