RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,527
Posts: 5,512,553
Members: 25,138
Currently online: 576
Newest member: Bazzzz85

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 23 2013, 03:33 PM   #1
sj4iy
Commander
 
sj4iy's Avatar
 
Location: US
Should they have deleted this scene?

According to JJ Abrams, there was a shower scene involving Benedict Cumberbatch that was edited out of the final cut of the movie. Considering the claims of misogyny this movie is getting for the 2 second clip of Alice Eve in her underwear, should this scene have stayed in the movie?



Opinions below.
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 04:11 PM   #2
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral
 
ToysOnLayAway's Avatar
 
Location: ManOnTheWave
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

It was probably cut for no reason other than time and pacing. I'm glad the contrived controversy gave JJ & Co a reason to use the footage. Now poor Benedict Cumberbatch has something to show for all of his work outs and "immoral" consumption of four thousand calories a day, and the Cumberfans have candy for their eyes.
__________________
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
ToysOnLayAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 06:43 PM   #3
sj4iy
Commander
 
sj4iy's Avatar
 
Location: US
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
It was probably cut for no reason other than time and pacing. I'm glad the contrived controversy gave JJ & Co a reason to use the footage. Now poor Benedict Cumberbatch has something to show for all of his work outs and "immoral" consumption of four thousand calories a day, and the Cumberfans have candy for their eyes.
Probably true, but it may have tilted the argument back to "everyone gets equally exposed" like he said. I definitely wouldn't have minded it, though- but then again, I didn't mind Alice Eve.
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

But then fans would have argued for years about whether Cumberbatch's chest was real!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much
 
Snow Miser's Avatar
 
Location: Ice-related Pun
View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

How is the underwear scene a controversy? Movies have shown women and men in their underwear since shortly after they were invented.
__________________
Have An Awesome Possum Holiday!
Snow Miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:37 PM   #6
sj4iy
Commander
 
sj4iy's Avatar
 
Location: US
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
How is the underwear scene a controversy? Movies have shown women and men in their underwear since shortly after they were invented.
Honestly, I don't know, but some people have taken issue with it (women's rights and strange stuff like that).
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:39 PM   #7
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

I'd watch.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:52 PM   #8
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Germany
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

sj4iy wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
How is the underwear scene a controversy? Movies have shown women and men in their underwear since shortly after they were invented.
Honestly, I don't know, but some people have taken issue with it (women's rights and strange stuff like that).
Not sure why "people" did what they did, but I have taken issue with that scene not because of "women's rights and strange stuff" (which, BTW, is itself a very strange phrasing), but because it was written badly.
__________________
The Andorian Mining Consortium runs from no one!
-- Shran
Cid Highwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:04 AM   #9
sj4iy
Commander
 
sj4iy's Avatar
 
Location: US
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

Cid Highwind wrote: View Post
sj4iy wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
How is the underwear scene a controversy? Movies have shown women and men in their underwear since shortly after they were invented.
Honestly, I don't know, but some people have taken issue with it (women's rights and strange stuff like that).
Not sure why "people" did what they did, but I have taken issue with that scene not because of "women's rights and strange stuff" (which, BTW, is itself a very strange phrasing), but because it was written badly.
I have no problem with that explanation
sj4iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:24 AM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

I'm not surprised the Cumberbatch shower scene was deleted. It revealed too much about Cumberbatch...
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:45 AM   #11
TheCutestofBorg
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

Conan is right, he did not look like he was enjoying that shower. In fact, it almost looked like he was dropping a deuce.
TheCutestofBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:57 AM   #12
Matt S
Lieutenant
 
Matt S's Avatar
 
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

Goddamn, what has happened to this world? People that uptight about an underwear scene....this political correctness makes me annoyed
__________________
Balok knows all!!!!!
Matt S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:57 AM   #13
Phily B
Fleet Captain
 
Phily B's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

TheCutestofBorg wrote: View Post
Conan is right, he did not look like he was enjoying that shower. In fact, it almost looked like he was dropping a deuce.


It did look a little weird how the water is dropping from him. Damn Benny is ripped though, he doesn't look it in clothing.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 01:07 AM   #14
Kevman7987
Captain
 
Kevman7987's Avatar
 
Location: Erie, PA, USA
View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

Phily B wrote: View Post
Damn Benny is ripped though, he doesn't look it in clothing.
This season on Sherlock; Sherlock works out until he is ripped and crushes all the bad guys' skulls! Watson uses his One Ring to turn invisible!"
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 01:55 AM   #15
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
Phily B wrote: View Post
Damn Benny is ripped though, he doesn't look it in clothing.
This season on Sherlock; Sherlock works out until he is ripped and crushes all the bad guys' skulls! Watson uses his One Ring to turn invisible!"
This post reminds me of an interview with Steven Moffat in spring 2012. When asked if there was any news about Sherlock, Moffat reponded "Sherlock's fighting Captain Kirk and Watson's helping out Gandalf."
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.

Last edited by The Wormhole; May 24 2013 at 01:31 PM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.