RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,691
Members: 24,828
Currently online: 491
Newest member: ncc1500

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 22 2013, 07:50 PM   #91
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: First World Problems

J. Allen wrote: View Post
A capful of fabric softener. All it takes to treat an entire load of laundry is one small capful of softener. Just fill it to the little line, and pour it into the washer. Is that what happens? No. Instead, my family uses gallons of it in a single load. Just pour indiscriminately... no, no, it's okay that we go through two bottles of softener a month when we could go through two bottles every six months. Yes, I'm sure that will soften the clothes admirably. No, don't pay attention to me, I'll just be over here in the corner, adding pudding to your shoes.
Most fabric softener is meant to be diluted anyway, and never put directly onto the clothes. I've had fabric softener ruin clothes before.
Old May 22 2013, 07:52 PM   #92
ITL
Vice Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
I bought a new laser printer last week because I'm tired of buying inkjet cartidges that cost half what the printer itself cost just to print a damn baseball game ticket or grocery coupon every now and then. It works perfectly, but the damn power light is this blue LED that has lights up the entire corner of the apartment, and being a studio apartment, that makes sleeping rather difficult. So when I turn off my computer at night I also turn off the printer and then turn it back on when I need it. Sure, it probably saves on electricity but geez, what an inconvenience.
I have a WD hard drive that has an array of bright white lights on the front of it that dance up and down all night like it's frackin' Christmas. The thing takes about a minute to shut down and nearly five minutes to boot up (and sometimes multiple tries to boot up), so I printed a dark purple rectangle on a transparency sheet and taped it over the lights. Worked great.
My DVD player has a really annoying and very bright display that's far too bright and annoyingly bright and annoying. So I prop a CD case in front of it.

However, sometimes it gets in the way of the IR beam from the remote handset and I have to shift it a little to the left. To do this, I have to get up out of my chair and move a few feet across the room. And back again.

It's a tale of woe, I tells ya.
Old May 22 2013, 07:52 PM   #93
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

The ONLY grocery store in NYC that sells the not too ridiculously expensive but definitely ridiculously delicious chocolate I like keeps running out of the 70% bars.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 07:54 PM   #94
RoJoHen
Awesome

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
The ONLY grocery store in NYC that sells the not too ridiculously expensive but definitely ridiculously delicious chocolate I like keeps running out of the 70% bars.
My grocery store stopped selling the Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ben & Jerry's. It basically ruined my life.

Then my favorite local restaurant stopped carrying their Super Duper Double Chocolate Cake. That ruined my life further.

I don't even know why I wake up anymore.
Old May 22 2013, 07:58 PM   #95
ITL
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
My grocery store stopped selling the Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ben & Jerry's. It basically ruined my life.

Then my favorite local restaurant stopped carrying their Super Duper Double Chocolate Cake. That ruined my life further.

When I travel to visit my family, I like to get a certain cheese that's only sold in one particular supermarket up there. Well, I did, until they stopped selling it. They now sell something similar, but slightly different.

It is not the same. NOT THE SAME AT ALL!
Old May 22 2013, 08:05 PM   #96
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Regarding the fabric softener; our water is hard. If we don't use softener, the clothes come out of the dryer feeling very coarse.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 08:05 PM   #97
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
It's too cool for the air conditioner and too warm for the heater, and when both of them are off, my house smells like pencil erasers.
Have you tried have both of them on at the same time?

Both on full of course.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 08:12 PM   #98
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

ITL wrote: View Post

When I travel to visit my family, I like to get a certain cheese that's only sold in one particular supermarket up there. Well, I did, until they stopped selling it. They now sell something similar, but slightly different.

This is why I buy 6 bars every time they have them in stock...but as of last night, I have only 4 left and I'm getting worried! Four chocolate bars won't last me more than a month! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO COME JULY???

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 08:24 PM   #99
ITL
Vice Admiral

This is why I buy 6 bars every time they have them in stock...but as of last night, I have only 4 left and I'm getting worried! Four chocolate bars won't last me more than a month! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO COME JULY???
An aunt of mine moved to Australia and can't get the English chocolate she craves. So my mum sends her the occasional package containing the appropriate chocolaty goodness.

But after she's eaten it all and has to wait for the next package...she's jonesin' man. Jonesin' bad.
Old May 22 2013, 08:47 PM   #100
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

Come July I shall appear over the city for 7 days, at noon and midnight of each day I shall release a plague of deserts upon the city. I guess I could stock up on some of your chocolate.
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 10:17 PM   #101
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

A capful of fabric softener. All it takes to treat an entire load of laundry is one small capful of softener. Just fill it to the little line, and pour it into the washer. Is that what happens? No. Instead, my family uses gallons of it in a single load. Just pour indiscriminately... no, no, it's okay that we go through two bottles of softener a month when we could go through two bottles every six months. Yes, I'm sure that will soften the clothes admirably. No, don't pay attention to me, I'll just be over here in the corner, adding pudding to your shoes.
And this is why I do my own... My wife refuses to put effort into separating colors (except for white shirts - most of the time) and so all the white socks come out looking grungy... Now that the kids are old enough to help with laundry, they are following her lead... Drives me nuts...

Played tennis at lunch.. Now my ankles hurt...
Old May 23 2013, 04:21 AM   #102
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Regarding the fabric softener; our water is hard. If we don't use softener, the clothes come out of the dryer feeling very coarse.
Just beat them with sticks.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 04:33 AM   #103
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I was looking forward to getting a Jimmy John's sandwich the last time I went to IL. They do a turkey with sprouts sandwich that I love. But when I went back, they had stopped doing sprouts and were putting cucumbers in the sandwiches instead. Your "NOT THE SAME AT ALL!" quote is exactly how I felt.
Old May 23 2013, 08:17 AM   #104
lurok
Commodore

Our chocolate bars are getting smaller. Rubbish.
Old May 23 2013, 08:21 AM   #105
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

McDonald's sucks.