Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 22 2013, 09:34 PM   #136
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

MacLeod wrote: View Post
But as we all know Jif is a cleaning product (or was until it was renamed Cif a few years back).
Which also doubles as a particular brand of peanut butter.
Old May 22 2013, 09:37 PM   #137
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
But as we all know Jif is a cleaning product (or was until it was renamed Cif a few years back).
Which was what my joke was about a few posts up.
Old May 22 2013, 10:22 PM   #138
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

OMG! I get it now! Used that cleaning product way back when I lived in England!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 11:05 PM   #139
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post

billcosby scored 150 points watching Three's Company S03E08.
billcosby scored 150 points watching Three's Company S03E09.
billcosby scored 50 points watching Perfect Strangers Reunion Special.

You forgot about the obvious one. The Cosby Show
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 12:44 AM   #140
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Holy crap!! Time magazine points out that not only is the X1 always on, but so is Kinect. The console wont function without it! This gives Microsoft a 1080p camera and a mic right in your living room. What sort of privacy customizations are available to us? What kind and how much data will Microsoft collect and what do they plan to do with it? Who thought this was a good idea? Interesting article!!

http://techland.time.com/2013/05/22/...for-microsoft/

Last edited by AlphaMan; May 23 2013 at 01:01 AM.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 04:21 AM   #141
throwback
Captain

Our family has discussed which game console we would buy. We have decided on the PS4.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 04:23 AM   #142
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

They've said that you can turn on certain privacy settings in the OS. I can't imagine most people using it the way they want you to use it though - as a passthrough device for ALL media content.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:02 AM   #143
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I'm not sure how this is possible, but it just keeps getting worse. Check out this patent from Microsoft that Kotaku uncovered for Kinect. Here's the highlight.

Kotaku wrote:
Content is distributed to consuming devices, such as televisions, set-top boxes and digital displays, with an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content. The limitation may comprise a number of user views, a number of user views over time, a number of simultaneous user views, views tied to user identities, views limited to user age or any variation or combination thereof, all tied to the number of actual content consumers allowed to view the content.

<snip>

The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.
Invited a few friends over to watch a new movie on your Xbox One? Well, unfortunately your license only covers three people. Guess you'll have to draw straws to see who has to hide behind the couch.

Just adding that, yes, this is just a patent that has a 99% chance of never seeing the light of day, but it's still a pretty fucked up idea.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."

Last edited by Kelthaz; May 23 2013 at 05:13 AM.
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:29 PM   #144
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
Our family has discussed which game console we would buy. We have decided on the PS4.
I think it's still way, way too early to choose which console to buy right now. Yes, right now the PS4 appears to be better than the XBO, but there's still too many unknowns about both consoles. MS have already moved to contain the backlash by announcing that they haven't finalised their DRM strategy yet, and we still haven't seen any of those exclusive games that they're going to reveal at E3. Meanwhile, Sony have been somewhat cagey about their DRM strategy and are likely being pressured by publishers to do something similar to MS, and they haven't confirmed whether they will shove online features behind a paywall like MS. On top of all of that, we don't know the price of either console.

Personally, I plan to wait 3 months to a year after the release of both consoles before choosing which one (if any) I plan to purchase. I don't want to be the one that bought this generation's Dreamcast, although I probably wont as I have no intention of buying a Wii U.
Old May 23 2013, 05:43 PM   #145
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

The Dreamcast was a fantastic console.
Old May 23 2013, 05:47 PM   #146
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

It was a good console with several great games that died on its arse after two years.

I don't want to pay €500 for a PS4 at launch only for publishers to drop support for it relatively quickly.
Old May 23 2013, 06:06 PM   #147
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
It was a good console with several great games that died on its arse after two years.

I don't want to pay €500 for a PS4 at launch only for publishers to drop support for it relatively quickly.
Will never happen.. both "big" consoles will be successful and well supported no matter what because both companies can't afford a total failure.

Look at the technical RROD problems the 360 had for much of its lifetime.. MS has sunk much money into servicing/replacing these.

Games developers also won't be able to drop support for one console over the other (barring exclusive titles like Halo for which MS pays through the roof).

So no matter what you choose you will have a console you can use for years to come. All that differs are features both consoles provide.. the PS4 looks to be more concentrated on gaming while the XBO wants to be both your living room media center as well as a gaming console.

In the end it comes down to preference and what offer suits your taste/need better.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:15 PM   #148
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I'm not sure how this is possible, but it just keeps getting worse. Check out this patent from Microsoft that Kotaku uncovered for Kinect. Here's the highlight.

[Snip]
That's old news and will never, ever be implemented unless Microsoft wants their sales to plummet considering devices like Apple TV, Roku and plain old DVD and blu-ray players exist.
Old May 23 2013, 08:20 PM   #149
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

i tell ya what, if this thing forces us to have an always-on kinect than fuck em, I won't buy, I don't want a camera and microphone in my den. Period.
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:53 PM   #150
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Kelthaz wrote: View Post

Kotaku wrote:
Content is distributed to consuming devices, such as televisions, set-top boxes and digital displays, with an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content. The limitation may comprise a number of user views, a number of user views over time, a number of simultaneous user views, views tied to user identities, views limited to user age or any variation or combination thereof, all tied to the number of actual content consumers allowed to view the content.

<snip>

The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.
Invited a few friends over to watch a new movie on your Xbox One? Well, unfortunately your license only covers three people. Guess you'll have to draw straws to see who has to hide behind the couch.

Just adding that, yes, this is just a patent that has a 99% chance of never seeing the light of day, but it's still a pretty fucked up idea.
Seriously ... 1984 anyone? That really is fucked up. That's not the kind of gaming system that I'd want anywhere near my home. That's a little too privacy invading for my taste.

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
i tell ya what, if this thing forces us to have an always-on kinect than fuck em, I won't buy, I don't want a camera and microphone in my den. Period.
Same here. Especially if someone finds a way to hack the fricken stuff like they have on laptop cameras/pc ones >_>... Not something I'd want on all the time. There has to be a way to turn it off, it wouldn't make any sense to keep it on 24/7.