Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old May 20 2013, 10:46 AM   #1
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

TV GUIDE: "STAR TREK SHOULD RETURN TO TV...

TV Guide takes up what I have been saying for 2 years now:

Why Star Trek Should Return to TV

Star Trek had been off television for four years before J.J. Abrams rebooted the film franchise in 2009. While Abrams' vision has clearly struck a chord with audiences (Into Darkness took in $84 million in its opening weekend), there are still many die-hard Trekkies who argue that Star Trek belongs on the small screen — and they have a point.

As a huge fan of Abrams' films, it's hard to admit that there is something very un-Trek about them. Instead of a contemplative study questioning the boundaries of morality, what Abrams delivered are exciting, shoot-em-up action flicks that happen to take place in space. Star Trek once excelled as a form of social commentary, and in an era of remote drones, ubiquitous surveillance, and phones that talk back to us, I can't think of a better time for it to return to its philosophical roots.
Old May 20 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: TV GUIDE: "STAR TREK SHOULD RETURN TO TV...

Except doing the long form contemplative morality play can't really be shoved into a two hour movie, nor should it. I think J.J. blends just enough philosophy and morality to go with the action thrill ride to hearken back to Trek's roots. Because if this is unTrek, so is First Contact, Wrath of Khan, and a number of other Star Trek movie staples.

I do agree that Trek belongs on the small screen, though.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 11:20 AM   #3
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Except doing the long form contemplative morality play can't really be shoved into a two hour movie, nor should it. I think J.J. blends just enough philosophy and morality to go with the action thrill ride to hearken back to Trek's roots. Because if this is unTrek, so is First Contact, Wrath of Khan, and a number of other Star Trek movie staples.

I do agree that Trek belongs on the small screen, though.
I agree the movie isn't the appropriate format, but Khan is hardly devoid of social commentary. "I'm trying to tell you that scientists have always been pawns of the military!" This is true of today's drones and computers. Molding metal that led to new swords. Splitting the atom leading to the atomic bomb. Just remember that Genesis is a scientific weapon that out-paces our morality. Like the nuclear bomb. Khan is also a creation that out-paced our morality. Spiritual death versus fulfillment in Kirk and Spock, respectively. "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few." That's what makes Khan worth re-watching, in my house. And that's why it's the best Star Trek film.

First Contact is not liked by this Star Trek fan because it's most discernible commentary is about heroes and if their human, and Data's "resistance is futile" line to the Borg Queen. We will fight to the last man. It's not a strong enough version of Star Trek.
Old May 20 2013, 01:47 PM   #4
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

If they did happen to do another tv series setting it in the abrahamverse would be a good thing, but instead of it being all travel and stuff then maybe have it about the klingons instead, their fight, their tech and planet, would be interesting, maybe even a series set on new Vulcan or some other place and character base
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

TV GUIDE is still published?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:32 PM   #6
mos6507
Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Except doing the long form contemplative morality play can't really be shoved into a two hour movie, nor should it.
There was a fair amount of that going on in the Nolan Batman films.
Old May 20 2013, 05:13 PM   #7
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

surak-toc wrote: View Post
If they did happen to do another tv series setting it in the abrahamverse would be a good thing, but instead of it being all travel and stuff then maybe have it about the klingons instead, their fight, their tech and planet, would be interesting, maybe even a series set on new Vulcan or some other place and character base
If the licensing issues between CBS and Paramount are half as bad as the story last week made it sound, then I expect any new series to be set in it's own universe with no use of JJ IP.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:52 PM   #8
section9
Commander

Oh yes, by all means then, let's ring up the Phase II folks and put them on the air.
Old May 20 2013, 07:59 PM   #9
thumbtack
Commodore

AviTrek wrote: View Post
I expect any new series to be set in it's own universe.

So does the tv industry itself. Which means more whining from the truefans no matter how "deep and meaningful" it is.
Old May 21 2013, 09:08 PM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

If the licensing issues between CBS and Paramount are half as bad as the story last week made it sound, then I expect any new series to be set in it's own universe with no use of JJ IP.
As the license holder to all things Trek, CBS owns it in all its various incarnations, and could set a new series in the Abramsverse if they wanted to and Abrams, Bad Robot, and Paramount can't say anything about it.

But it's probably a case that CBS could probably care less what universe a new show is set in. In any event, it's likely to look different from anything we've seen before, IMO.
Old May 22 2013, 02:29 AM   #11
Ain Jalut
Lieutenant

surak-toc wrote: View Post
That's just great....
Ain Jalut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 03:32 AM   #12
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
As the license holder to all things Trek, CBS owns it in all its various incarnations, and could set a new series in the Abramsverse if they wanted to and Abrams, Bad Robot, and Paramount can't say anything about it.
No.

Their being the "license holder" does not mean that they own copyright to Paramount's movies.

OTOH, they could certainly do their own new version of TOS without any reference to the Abramsverse.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 04:22 AM   #13
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
No.

Their being the "license holder" does not mean that they own copyright to Paramount's movies.

OTOH, they could certainly do their own new version of TOS without any reference to the Abramsverse.
Truth is, it could go either way. It all depends on the contract between CBS and Paramount. And anything we say is just speculation.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 06:29 PM   #14
Ryan8bit
Commodore

What exactly about the Abramsverse is even exclusive anyways?

I'd imagine only the newly developed characters and ships, and there's not exactly a ton of those.

Like if a new show continued with the premise of Vulcan not being around, could Bad Robot even do anything about that?
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 10:22 PM   #15
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
No.

No yourself.

CBS owns the Star Trek IP (and works derived from it). Paramount's ownership extends only to the release and distribution of the actual film, but the licensing of its actual content belongs to CBS.
http://www.cbsconsumerproducts.com/s...new_movie.html

(the above will probably be updated soon with Star Trek XII).

It's not like Paramount will have a say in it anyway.