RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 396
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 22 2013, 08:52 PM   #271
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

13 hours if you don't stop.. but i'm sure not all the roads are clear and many grown over.

Also no gas stations to refuel, unless he used multiple vehicles or had a big ass gas tank.

Lastly, people on the way would be like WTF a working car? and try to stop and get a hold of it. (kind like the Tom Cruise movie War of the Worlds)

As far as the Walking Dead there should be plenty of gas because the living polulation is not there to use it all, unlike Revolution, where there is a population sure, they can't use it for cars but you have to figure it's pretty scarce because people would use any flamible fuel they can find to heat powerless homes and buildings.
Old May 22 2013, 09:07 PM   #272
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

There are a bunch of "survival" shows on A&E, History, NatGeo, etc., that explore wood-burning gassifiers, animal fat rendering, distilling and other procedures by which you can acquire and use a viable natural fuel source so long as the vehicle is in relatively good working order. And since we've already seen some steam engines, it would stand to reason that some people may be able to successfully convert various vehicles to steam power. Not a big stretch.
Old May 22 2013, 09:07 PM   #273
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
13 hours if you don't stop.. but i'm sure not all the roads are clear and many grown over.

Also no gas stations to refuel, unless he used multiple vehicles or had a big ass gas tank.

Lastly, people on the way would be like WTF a working car? and try to stop and get a hold of it. (kind like the Tom Cruise movie War of the Worlds)
There are definately practical problems with him getting there in 13, 15, even 20 hours based on some of the obstacles.

You have to wonder though, in the Revolution world without power- what shape the fwy system would be in for someone to travel solo down it and would people have thought to scavange the underground fuel tanks at gas stations when the cars don't run? Also, do those tanks keep gasoline viable for a long time and are they treated with those chemicals to last longer.

But I get ya - lots of, 'suspensions of disbelief,' for that roadtrip.

There are always the magical nanites to solve any problem.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 09:10 PM   #274
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I'd be more worried about collapsed bridges than anything else. Yes, concrete roads would be cracked and overgrown, but I suspect would still be relatively passable.
Old May 22 2013, 09:14 PM   #275
Lyon_Wonder
Commander

I wonder if there’s “assimilated” cyborg zombies in the tower too?
Lyon_Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 09:17 PM   #276
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I'd be more worried about collapsed bridges than anything else. Yes, concrete roads would be cracked and overgrown, but I suspect would still be relatively passable.
Phili is pretty much a straight shot down the i-85 fwy system to Atlanta.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 09:18 PM   #277
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

You mean I-95? Again, lots of bridges and overpasses along that corridor, especially around Baltimore, DC and Richmond. If any one of them collapsed onto the road, or gave out underneath the road, 13 hours could easily be doubled.
Old May 22 2013, 09:52 PM   #278
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Tom wrote: View Post
As far as the Walking Dead there should be plenty of gas because the living polulation is not there to use it all
But with enough zombies stumbling around, I'd think some of them would accidentally start a fire and blow up gas stations or something like that...

Also the living might well try to start fires just to keep the zombies away.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 09:53 PM   #279
Lyon_Wonder
Commander

DarthTom wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Phili is pretty much a straight shot down the i-85 fwy system to Atlanta.
Highways in the Georgia Federation would be in better shape do to their use of steam-powered vehicles. The Georgia Fed likely has horse-drawn and steam-powered road construction, concrete and asphalt paving equipment to keep their highways maintained. Though I imagine they'd prioritize and the primary surface roads between towns and cities would get the most maintenance.

Last edited by Lyon_Wonder; May 22 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old May 22 2013, 09:54 PM   #280
Tom
Rear Admiral

I noticed in the credits they had Glenn Moshower, i believe we see a glimpse of him in the episode when they show the backside of 4 people in the tower looking the the monitor of Randell trying to get in.
Old May 28 2013, 10:15 PM   #281
Marten
Captain

These nanites are becoming more magical by the week. Setting the world on fire? The amount of energy needed is staggering. Not to talk about the chemistry of it.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 10:28 PM   #282
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's like turning a vacuum cleaner from suck to blow.

Those fuckers have been absorbing electricity for 16 years...Have they been routinely purging or are then all tanked?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 12:29 AM   #283
Lyon_Wonder
Commander

For some reason when I saw "Dan", the bald headed guy who seems to be in charge of the Tower, I thought of General Hammond on Stargate SG1. Of course someone else's playing Dan since Ron S Davis died several years ago. Though I can picture Davis portraying this character if he was still alive.
Old May 29 2013, 12:40 AM   #284
Tom
Rear Admiral

Lyon_Wonder wrote: View Post
For some reason when I saw "Dan", the bald headed guy who seems to be in charge of the Tower, I thought of General Hammond on Stargate SG1. Of course someone else's playing Dan since Ron S Davis died several years ago. Though I can picture Davis portraying this character if he was still alive.
That was Glenn Morshower who has been in tons of shows and movies. He gets a lot of military type roles, like the colonel in Xmen: First Class.

Anyways, pretty good episode, those coil guns are pretty powerful. I would could see Nevelle taking over the Monroe republic but I can't see them killing Monroe off just yet, especially when they just introduced the whole my son is out there story line.
Old May 29 2013, 05:36 AM   #285
tighr
Commodore

[QUOTE=Tom;8168341]
Lyon_Wonder wrote: View Post
I would could see Nevelle taking over the Monroe republic but I can't see them killing Monroe off just yet, especially when they just introduced the whole my son is out there story line.
Really? I could see it. These writers don't seem that smart.