RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,937
Posts: 5,390,153
Members: 24,721
Currently online: 584
Newest member: Miltan08

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 19 2013, 05:55 AM   #61
Triskelion
Rear Admiral
 
Triskelion's Avatar
 
Location: \,,/. ▷\✦_✦ L L + P
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post

OMFG.

SVU is one of my favorite shows ever so I love this.

That hot trek girl version of Munch is just insane.
Glad you like it Captain Kathryn!

I've been a fan of Richard Belzer since his standup days. I think he would make a better nuSpock than Quinto.

Spock in a skant?
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 06:04 AM   #62
Captain Kathryn
Commodore
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

Robert Downey Jr. was pretty sarcastic and funny in Ironman 3.

But I still wouldn't want to replace Picardo!
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 06:06 AM   #63
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

Picardo could easily play the EMH again, just add that he made himself look older because he realized it garnered him more respect
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 06:24 AM   #64
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Robert Downey Jr. was pretty sarcastic and funny in Ironman 3.

But I still wouldn't want to replace Picardo!
Oh there's no substitute for Picardo at all. Just Downey's sarcastic wit, I could see him pulling it off. Maybe in 20 years once his hairline's gone!
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:58 PM   #65
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

teacake wrote: View Post
Picardo could easily play the EMH again, just add that he made himself look older because he realized it garnered him more respect
The hologram finds a mate and decides to grow old with her, and to eventually even die. Adds another dimension to the whole thing. What if you are immortal, do you have the right to decide to die?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 11:19 PM   #66
Triskelion
Rear Admiral
 
Triskelion's Avatar
 
Location: \,,/. ▷\✦_✦ L L + P
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

R. Star wrote: View Post
Triskelion wrote: View Post
EMH: Robert Downey, Jr.
You know... I could see him pulling this off if his Ironman performances are anything to go by.


I know, right?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Picardo could easily play the EMH again, just add that he made himself look older because he realized it garnered him more respect
The hologram finds a mate and decides to grow old with her, and to eventually even die. Adds another dimension to the whole thing. What if you are immortal, do you have the right to decide to die?
If you have no soul, then there is no death, only permanent deactivation.

If you have a soul, then that's the question, innit. After reading about what happens to suicides in Dante's inferno - no thanks!
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 11:29 PM   #67
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

Bicentennial man was a little pat.

Triskelion, I know how to break this to you, no one has a soul.

Well there's one on the bottom of each of your feet, but apart from that souls and god are fanticrap just like Santa Claus.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:19 AM   #68
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

Triskelion wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Triskelion wrote: View Post
EMH: Robert Downey, Jr.
You know... I could see him pulling this off if his Ironman performances are anything to go by.


I know, right?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Picardo could easily play the EMH again, just add that he made himself look older because he realized it garnered him more respect
The hologram finds a mate and decides to grow old with her, and to eventually even die. Adds another dimension to the whole thing. What if you are immortal, do you have the right to decide to die?
If you have no soul, then there is no death, only permanent deactivation.

If you have a soul, then that's the question, innit. After reading about what happens to suicides in Dante's inferno - no thanks!
Data has been decided to be a sentient individual in Measure of a Man, and the EMH has a lot more personality, and emotions (!). He has an ego, you can hurt his feelings. That guy has a soul, and deletion means death. Permanent deactivation would be a coma.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:30 AM   #69
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Data has been decided to be a sentient individual in Measure of a Man, and the EMH has a lot more personality, and emotions (!). He has an ego, you can hurt his feelings. That guy has a soul, and deletion means death. Permanent deactivation would be a coma.
But isn't a soul something that survives after death? If he has a soul then deletion doesn't mean he loses his soul.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:33 AM   #70
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

teacake wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Data has been decided to be a sentient individual in Measure of a Man, and the EMH has a lot more personality, and emotions (!). He has an ego, you can hurt his feelings. That guy has a soul, and deletion means death. Permanent deactivation would be a coma.
But isn't a soul something that survives after death? If he has a soul then deletion doesn't mean he loses his soul.
I'll answer that question when I've died and saw what happened. In my book, everything that is self aware and sentient has a soul.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:50 AM   #71
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

The EMH doesn't have emotions.

He expresses the effects of emotions in response to specified stimulis per the parameters of his programming.

If you put a thousand EMH's in a thousand cubicles and had them take the same identical personality tests from blade runner, their responses would be identical. They would respond with the same words, the same inflections and the same emotional responses.

It's like a calculator.

Every time you add 2 plus 2 ( in base 10 you asshat) the answer is always going to to be 4.

Answer me this.



The above smilie is evidence that your PC is smiling and has emotions or not?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:41 AM   #72
Triskelion
Rear Admiral
 
Triskelion's Avatar
 
Location: \,,/. ▷\✦_✦ L L + P
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Bicentennial man was a little pat.

Triskelion, I know how to break this to you, no one has a soul.

Well there's one on the bottom of each of your feet, but apart from that souls and god are fanticrap just like Santa Claus.
Thanks, I but I wouldn't take any person's encapsulation of the universe on faith. I'm sure you'll understand.

What did Da Vinci say to Katarina's swallow metaphor?
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:43 PM   #73
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander
 
Halmirdax's Avatar
 
Location: Studio
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Captain Janeway: Kate Winslet. British Janeway!
Yes!
Halmirdax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 04:10 PM   #74
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander
 
Halmirdax's Avatar
 
Location: Studio
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

Kathryn Janeway - Devika Parikh
She's got a commanding look about her, similar glint.

Chakotay - Benjamin Bratt

Tuvok - Don Cheadle
He's kind of hilarious without trying too hard.

Tom Paris - Can we just write him out? Or Improve it by replacing him with John Hawkes.

B'Elanna Torres - Angela Bassett...

Harry Kim - Hyun Bin? Lee Min Ho, probably too tall.

EMH - Tommy Lee Jones, serious and humorous!

Neelix - William H. Macy maybe.

Kes - Bethany Joy Lenz would really add something to this role.

Seven of Nine - Summer Glau
If there is one things she could play supremely, it's robot/human.

Last edited by Halmirdax; May 20 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Halmirdax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 07:35 AM   #75
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: Recasting Voyager with actors from today

ok, let's play game of trek

Janeway - Lena Headey or Michelle Fairley
EMH - Aiden Gillen
Chakotay - Iain Glen
Paris - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
Kim - Alfie Allen (he must suffer!)
Torres - Natalia Tena or Sibel Kekilli
Neelix - Peter Dinklage
Kes - Emilia Clarke
Seven - Gwendoline Christie

Mmmmm...Trek procedural sounds fun

__________________
"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha"

Last edited by lurok; May 22 2013 at 07:54 AM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.