Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 21 2013, 09:07 PM   #76
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

Apparently MS are saying they have a "plan" for used games, which won't attract a fee but the copy on the hard drive of the seller will be disabled. How they know the difference between second account activation, which you pay for, and used games I don't know.
Old May 21 2013, 09:17 PM   #77
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Wow. First Windows 8 and now this. WTF are their business planners thinking? I guess it's just another sad attempt at a money-grab under the pretense of "piracy mitigation" and "intellectual property protection". I will be staying with 360, but it won't be long before game makers will be coerced into making games exclusively for the X1, pushing the 360 into forced obsolescence.

And did I hear that the new controllers have integrated batteries? Great. Now I got to wait for the damn thing to charge before I use it. But wait! That just means I'll have to BUY more controllers and switch them out for uninterrupted play. Yay!
Old May 21 2013, 09:37 PM   #78
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

That's the other weird thing, 3 operating systems? Xbox OS, Windows and virutalisation OS? Why? Surely it's a minefield for bugs.
Old May 21 2013, 09:45 PM   #79
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Heh...that's never stopped them in the past. Back in 2000 they had:
- Windows Millennium Edition (AKA Windows ME)
- Windows 2000 (Probably the best of these)
- Windows XP (Granted, 1 year later in 2001, but definitely a close overlap)

Then there was Windows 95, followed by 98, NT and - Microsoft Bob all at around the same time (Did anyone ever see this abortion, MS Bob? I did - eewwww!)

Parallel OS development & deployment has always been a "hallmark" of the Microsoft business model, as were/are bug minefields.
Old May 21 2013, 09:46 PM   #80
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Yeah, but they weren't generally running beside each other on the same machine at the same time.
Old May 21 2013, 09:51 PM   #81
throwback
Captain

For me, the allure of a used game market is that I can try different genres of games, and see which I like or don't like. I, too, was wondering what will happen to Gamefly. I am not sure this is the death bell of this company, but it will make it harder to survive I think.

Of the two next generation consoles, I think the edge is to Playstation 4. They seem to have a stronger focus on gaming.

The next generation of Kinect is on the XBOX One. The current iteration of that device was poorly integrated into games, and many of the games were rated poorly. I am hesitant to buy any motion controlled device or any machine that has one, for I have balance issues.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:17 PM   #82
MacLeod
Admiral

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
Wow.. That's a game changer if true. What gets me is that if Microsoft is doing it, then Sony is likely to do something similar... For one to take this step without the other Woukd be suicide. To tie a game to a single account on a console. If youre a consumer, why would you buy a game with no resell value if you have an alternative? If you're a developer, why would you make games for a system that will cut you out of any secondary markets, especially if there's an alternative that will protect your software from that? Sony and Microsoft more than likely will make this move in lock step.

I have a big family. I buy a game and there are likely to be 3-4 people play the game in my household alone. To pay an extra fee for each kid is unacceptable... but there's probably no alternative in the next gen.
I suspect that unless you have multiple machines it won't be a problem. Plenty of DLC works with other users once it has been download onto the HD of the machine. So it might be more of a case that a bit like some PC games you have to enter a code that ties it to the console rather than the user?

Developers don't benefit from the used games market. They earn their money from the first sale market. So from a developers point of view might it not mean more revenue?

And by having to enter a code could help fight piracy of games, on which the developers can lose a signifigant amount of money.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:20 PM   #83
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Did they name the thing one just so they could use the slogan... "All in One"?

Besides it can't play 260 games or used games, so much for "one".
Old May 21 2013, 10:26 PM   #84
MacLeod
Admiral

260, did I miss a console?

But then again the PS4 can't play PS3 games, either? And did they say for definate that the Xbox One isn't backwards compatable?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old May 21 2013, 10:54 PM   #85
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post

But then again the PS4 can't play PS3 games, either? And did they say for definate that the Xbox One isn't backwards compatable?
Yep, read it somewhere.

And the 260 is the Xbox 360 minus One hundred.
Old May 21 2013, 11:25 PM   #86
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

MacLeod wrote: View Post

It was a statement released after the event. Basically, the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 used POWER-based processors by IBM, which is a completely different instruction set than the x86 processors used in both of the new consoles. Emulating the Xenon / Cell processors would be a Herculean effort and would require hardware well beyond what would be feasible to put in the boxes.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 11:35 PM   #87
MacLeod
Admiral

WHich will no doubt mean the 360 will be around for sale for several years to come.
Old May 21 2013, 11:48 PM   #88
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

According to MS, there will be some way to buy and sell used games, but it will be done online and they're just not announcing it yet. It sounds to me like they're trying to cut out Gamestop and other resellers by handling the reselling of the games themselves, maybe buying publishers' support by offering them a cut.

Then there's this:
But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.
Fuck that.
Old May 22 2013, 12:17 AM   #89
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/21/xb...nd-used-games/
Major Neslon has cleared it up...somewhat.

"We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. "

"Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.
Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile."

This ultimately doesn't bother me, because once we make the final transition to no discs all digital content, there won't be any reselling of games at all. You don't go trade in games you buy on Steam any more than you can trade in music you buy on iTunes, and that is where we're headed. This is part of that step towards the disc-less future.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 12:26 AM   #90
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Looks like the Xbox One will force you to be online to play your single player games after all.

Kotaku wrote:
And here's the bombshell:

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.
http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-requ...ay-o-509164109

Outsold by the Wii U. I'm calling it now.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote