Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 139 19.36%
A 157 21.87%
A- 98 13.65%
B+ 78 10.86%
B 58 8.08%
B- 27 3.76%
C+ 38 5.29%
C 37 5.15%
C- 23 3.20%
D+ 11 1.53%
D 13 1.81%
D- 6 0.84%
F 33 4.60%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21 2013, 09:32 PM   #3421
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I think we may have moved just a bit off topic here. Perhaps we should start a thread elsewhere in this section to discuss the film and body images?
Old May 21 2013, 09:32 PM   #3422
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
It takes the thoughts and feelings and worth out of the woman and says "As long as you look like this, you can get whatever you want." That's all that matters.

Do you ever stop to think: What is she thinking about in that picture? What is the picture trying to tell me? Or are you just glancing over the pretty parts?
I'm guessing I have no idea what I'm talking about because I have a twenty-year old daughter in a healthy relationship and with a healthy body image. She never wanted to be a size 0 because we always taught her to be who she was meant to be and not what someone else wanted her to be.

Why would I care what someone is thinking in a photo?

This is actually veering wayyyyy off course. Best to get back to the topic of the movie.
Old May 21 2013, 09:40 PM   #3423
Amasov
Rear Admiral

topas wrote: View Post
I didn't see anyone addressing this, so thought I'd ask:

How did Uhura and Sulu get off their shuttle and what happened to it?

From what I gather after one viewing; they did not beam off it, they wore wetsuits as well (Sulu's line "ready to swim" from the trailers), so they probably flew it out of the volcanic ash cloud into the ocean, close to the E, abandoned the shuttle and swam to the Enterprise like Kirk and McCoy did later? If so, add even more cultural contamination once they find the wreckage someday...
Set it to self-destruct just after they bail out?
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:44 PM   #3424
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post
I think we may have moved just a bit off topic here. Perhaps we should start a thread elsewhere in this section to discuss the film and body images?
Sounds good. Sorry for the intrusion.
Old May 21 2013, 09:50 PM   #3425
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post
Sounds good. Sorry for the intrusion.
Oh no intrusion at all! This is something that folks talked about before the film came out, and it only came back with a vengeance with the Lindelhof (sp?) interview.
Old May 21 2013, 09:57 PM   #3426
Belz...
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
All I know is that I thought I'd seen every episode of Star Trek and its spin-offs. But apparently there is this romanticized version that I've completely missed where warp speeds are consistent, women never wore skimpy outfits and no plot-holes ever existed.
Yeah, it's the Star Trek I dream about.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
The women here are more than welcome to start a 'Dude of the Week' thread.
Yeah because two wrongs make a right.
Aw, come on. There's nothing wrong about appreciating the human body.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:18 PM   #3427
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I think I first became a science fiction film buff watching the captivating Altaira on "Forbidden Planet" when I was about age eight - and then, as a young teen, a TV presentation of "Barbarella" (in b/w) in the privacy of my bedroom. I saw almost as much female flesh on Jane Fonda as I did male flesh on John Phillip Law's Pygar.

Those movies just wouldn't have been the same if the characters were all in bulky neck-to-knee costumes. Nor as memorable/enlightening.

Sorry, now I've quite forgotten why scenes of Gaila, Carol and Kirk in underwear are so... eh?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:31 PM   #3428
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Look, just to remind people who we're arguing about - look at Eve (yes, I'm serious).

That young woman has the fortune to be physically attractive by Hollywood standards, and of course she wouldn't be successful in commercial movies if she weren't.

That said, there is nothing "anorexic" about her in the least - that's plain hysteria. She looks to have a healthy amount of body fat for a young person. If you think you can count her ribs here you're imagining things:

No, it's not possible for everyone to look like that no matter how hard they try - I could never have looked like Chris Pine, either. Both cases are matters of heredity, not how much willingness to abuse one's health in the pursuit of an unrealistic goal one may or may not possess.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:33 PM   #3429
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Because your girlfriend wants to look like that, can't, and she's going to kill herself trying to look like that. Because the standard of beauty is not realistic. What do I mean? Photoshop. As Cindy Crawford says "I wish I looked like Cindy Crawford, too." Because of how much time and energy goes into each photograph for it to be right. Because women compare themselves to that image, that isn't really what the woman on the cover looks like.

It takes the thoughts and feelings and worth out of the woman and says "As long as you look like this, you can get whatever you want." That's all that matters.

Do you ever stop to think: What is she thinking about in that picture? What is the picture trying to tell me? Or are you just glancing over the pretty parts?
Talk about misguided rage. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at parents who don't teach their daughters not to tie their sense of self-worth to their body image.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:40 PM   #3430
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Okay, you've been warned - a lengthy and somewhat disjointed synopsis of the movie from someone at IMDB.

If even a fraction of this crap is what's really in the movie, I won't even watch it when it eventually comes on TV. The last one was bad enough.

This is crap to the infinite power. Why can't Abrams come up with an original story? Why does he need to plagiarize (oops, "re-imagine") what far better storytellers and artists have already done?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:43 PM   #3431
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Meh. Skip it then, because it's ALL TRUE (AGGGHHH!). Just don't post diatribes about what's wrong with a movie you haven't seen, and everything will work out even.

It's a really good Star Trek movie. TWOK may be better - I haven't decided - but it's the only one.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:46 PM   #3432
BillJ
Admiral

Meh. Skip it then, because it's ALL TRUE (AGGGHHH!). Just don't post diatribes about what's wrong with a movie you haven't seen, and everything will work out even.
Why didn't Roddenberry, Bennett and Berman create new space operas instead of constantly reusing Trek?

Oops, quoted wrong post.
Old May 21 2013, 10:48 PM   #3433
BillJ
Admiral

It's a really good Star Trek movie. TWOK may be better - I haven't decided - but it's the only one.
I watched TWOK last night and the two are such different films I'm not sure it's fair to compare.

They both simply rock the house.
Old May 21 2013, 10:52 PM   #3434
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
This is crap to the infinite power. Why can't Abrams come up with an original story? Why does he need to plagiarize (oops, "re-imagine") what far better storytellers and artists have already done?
By "better storytellers," you mean Nick Meyer--the guy who "re-imagined" Melville, Dickens, and Shakespeare.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:53 PM   #3435
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I think you're missing out on some pretty good Trek. But you have to be A) open-minded about the movie being different than previous Trek, which is actually not a bad thing, because I hate it when things get stale and the statu quo is untouchable, which is why Vulcan's destruction is such a good idea.

And B) Learn to live with the fact that movies have mistakes and inconsistencies. I mean, I'd like nothing more than all movies and books and video games to have perfect storytelling with no errors, but guess what ? Only reality's like that, and we're still not happy with it. So I enjoy it when movies are better scripted or the people involved make extra effort to get the details right, but I'm okay with movies that aren't perfect if they are entertaining.

Of course, then I nitpick because I like to do that, but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

And by the way, spoiling the entire movie in text form usually sounds a lot worse than the finished product.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote