RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,566
Posts: 5,402,281
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 705
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 21 2013, 09:01 PM   #31
I Am Groot
I Am Groot
 
I Am Groot's Avatar
 
Location: I Am Groot
Re: Major Plot hole (spoilers)

foxhot wrote: View Post
Spock cries with one eye instead of two. Yes, I know, it looks more memorable, and since 1989 or so it's been a staple in movies, but who among us has this capability?
Illogic at its greatest. IS it possible?
That's pretty funny. Nice parody of fans taking things to the extreme to find any bit of minutiae that they can erroneously call a "major plot hole."

foxhot wrote: View Post
It's not a new thing, of course. It's been all over the place since Denzel Washington in GLORY, and maybe it did start with Nimoy. But ever since then, EVERY film, EVERY time, single tear. It's a cliche now. Did Robert Wise make it one tear in the Director's Cut, but two in the original 1979 version? In this case I don't recall Nimoy single-tearing, thus I ask.
Waaaaait a minute...



foxhot wrote: View Post
Not to your satisfaction, but indeed yes. Who did it start with? Or is that the best you can offer? GLORY's one-tear scene was so unremarakable it Denzel Washington earned his first Oscar. I see length police, satire police, clever police, ''screaming'' police (where no screaming occurred), and accusations of stupidity from posts even less intellectually giant coming out of the woodwork, especially in Abrams-oriented posts. . But where are the smug police and supercilious police? STID was largely successful, but plot hole declarations, serious or not, hardly constitute a declaration of war against OPs. Don't just assume superiority, demonstrate it. And STAR TREK III and VI are as good as it gets.
Oh, oh god, you are serious.

__________________
We are Groot and Locutus of Bored.
I Am Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:01 PM   #32
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Major Plot hole (spoilers)

Does anyone know when the first use of the single tear was? I was going to say La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc, but a quick Google corrected me in that Falconetti had a tears in both eyes.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:04 PM   #33
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Major Plot hole (spoilers)

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...n0OifRDM4LsgBI
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:06 PM   #34
ITHell
Vice Admiral
 
ITHell's Avatar
 
Location: ITL
Re: Major Plot hole (spoilers)

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Does anyone know when the first use of the single tear was? I was going to say La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc, but a quick Google corrected me in that Falconetti had a tears in both eyes.
Oh, it goes back further than that:

Offspring of Lugalbanda, Gilgamesh is strong to perfection
And when he cries it's from one eye, and one eye alone
That's right, you heard me, one eye, and one eye alone
The left one
__________________
"Closed this morning as Ravenscroft, the bakery's dog, sprained his mouth whistling round a corner."
- Tockleys Bakery
ITHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:08 PM   #35
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral
 
Enterprise is Great's Avatar
 
Re: Major Plot hole (spoilers)

I must be a plot hole because I cried out of one eye once.
__________________
JJverse Star Trek...ROCKED on May 17, 2013 and beyond!
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:15 PM   #36
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Major Plot hole (spoilers)

ITL wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Does anyone know when the first use of the single tear was? I was going to say La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc, but a quick Google corrected me in that Falconetti had a tears in both eyes.
Oh, it goes back further than that:

Offspring of Lugalbanda, Gilgamesh is strong to perfection
And when he cries it's from one eye, and one eye alone
That's right, you heard me, one eye, and one eye alone
The left one
I see. The "blame Iraq" card. How typical.


CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:31 PM   #37
I Am Groot
I Am Groot
 
I Am Groot's Avatar
 
Location: I Am Groot
Re: Major Plot hole (spoilers)

It can't be a plot hole. The same thing happened in Waterworld, and if there were any holes in that movie, the whole thing would have been sunk.

__________________
We are Groot and Locutus of Bored.
I Am Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:37 PM   #38
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral
 
YellowSubmarine's Avatar
 
Re: Major Plot hole (spoilers)

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
It can't be a plot hole. The same thing happened in Waterworld, and if there were any holes in that movie, the whole thing would have been sunk
No, I'm pretty sure Ringo picked the plot hole up, saved it in his pocket for later, observing “I've got a hole in me pocket”.
__________________
R.I.P. Cadet James T. Kirk (-1651)
YellowSubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:58 PM   #39
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Major Plot hole (spoilers)

ITL wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Does anyone know when the first use of the single tear was? I was going to say La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc, but a quick Google corrected me in that Falconetti had a tears in both eyes.
Oh, it goes back further than that:

Offspring of Lugalbanda, Gilgamesh is strong to perfection
And when he cries it's from one eye, and one eye alone
That's right, you heard me, one eye, and one eye alone
The left one
Aw, gee - trumped by French silent film and Sumerian Lit.

And here I was, thinking we'd be able to pin blame for the Trail of (one-eyed) Tears on this guy.
__________________
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.