Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old May 21 2013, 06:46 PM   #31
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: A response to the Nerd Rage. Spoilers

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Chu'lak wrote: View Post
No, i hate irrational ignorant people who scream things like "There was no prime directive in TOS!"
Well, you could always hide in one of those threads titled "Only People Who Liked the Movie Post Here" to psychologically reinforce your view that the movie was great and nobody anywhere has any legitimate reason for not liking it. Then you can continue with like-minded fans to generalize anyone with a different viewpoint and never have to be challenged by any other view.
I think it's great that we have diverse opinions about the various series and films. This would be a pretty boring place otherwise. What confuses me is when someone says it 'isn't Star Trek' then uses something that Trek has done all along as reasoning. That usually scores a big 'what the fuck?' from me.

BillJ wrote:
http://io9.com/damon-lindelof-admits...tuit-508967420

Is it any more gratuitous than Sherry Jackson's camel toe in What are Little Girls Made Of? Or any more gratuitous than the cat suits worn by Jeri Ryan or Jolene Blalock?

It amazes me how short some Trek fans memories are.
Old May 21 2013, 06:51 PM   #32
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Yeah. That Gorn line was kinda stupid.
Old May 21 2013, 06:53 PM   #33
aeriolewinters
Lieutenant

I think the irony is: there's this thing called IDIC. and while most non-trekkie watchers don't know this. They're actually quite better at practicing it; mostly because they don't regard trek to be something that's exclusive to the "real fans"
Old May 21 2013, 06:56 PM   #34
The Wormhole
Admiral

aeriolewinters wrote: View Post
I think the irony is: there's this thing called IDIC. and while most non-trekkie watchers don't know this. They're actually quite better at practicing it; mostly because they don't regard trek to be something that's exclusive to the "real fans"
This sense of ownership is common among fans of any franchise. I remember back in 2008 when it was announced the Trek XI trailer was going to be attached to Quantum of Solace, James Bond fandom was outraged at the thought of "Trekkies flocking to see our movie."
Old May 21 2013, 07:00 PM   #35
Belz...
Fleet Captain

You know what I am beginning to hate? Star Trek fans. I can see not liking this movie for legitimate reasons, too fast to action packed, too much fun. Not enough staff meetings and mapping stars and studying nebulae.
Although I agree that many fans are a bit rigid in their definition what constitutes Trek, I think your preamble is, at best, a misrepresentation of Star Trek fandom.

That said, I know some fans take this to extremes, like their worldview depends on a fiction franchise.

My Facebook timeline has comments like “I wasted 36 years of my life learning about Star Trek for nothing!”
That's one of the most ridiculous comments I've heard recently. Thanks.
Old May 21 2013, 07:04 PM   #36
aeriolewinters
Lieutenant

Yeah, I know... but the Trekkie rage(I know it's just some) is going overboard at this moment.

I remember jumping into TNG after I watched the TOS Movies, and I never really raged against why they were trying to do in TNG. Yes, it was really different, but I liked it anyway. It's the same thing here; I came into XI and really liked it, despite how much I loved the TNG cast..(though not the same love I have for the TOS Movies), I really felt comfortable watching this new cast.

I just kinda freak out that people are forgetting why the hell this franchise was so beloved: because it paints a future that we are all accepting of differences. It seems like the trekkies themselves don't really adhere to what Trek has been trying to say.
Old May 21 2013, 07:05 PM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It seems like the trekkies themselves don't really adhere to what Trek has been trying to say.
Most never have and never will.
Old May 21 2013, 07:06 PM   #38
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Notice that in this film, the Enterprise never actually fires a single phaser bank, other than to protect itself...
Actually, Enterprise doesn't fire a single shot in the movie.

EnterpriseF wrote: View Post
Sorry. The death scene and the fact that a star ship can withstand ocean pressures does nothing for me. Remeber when Trek was about science?
If the Enterprise's hull can take Impulse power acceleration, I'm sure water isn't a problem.

um, Voyager episode "30 days" Tom took the Delta Flyer to Planet Ocean, deep in the core. Janeway said Voyager could do it, but it would take a week to modify Voyager for the journey down...
I'm sure Janeway could do it with enough prep time.
Old May 21 2013, 07:07 PM   #39
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I don't have a problem with people hating the movie. I hate a couple star trek movies myself. I even hate one of the series. What I have a problem with is the people who seem determined to destroy it for people who do enjoy it.
Old May 21 2013, 07:08 PM   #40
Belz...
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
This sense of ownership is common among fans of any franchise. I remember back in 2008 when it was announced the Trek XI trailer was going to be attached to Quantum of Solace, James Bond fandom was outraged at the thought of "Trekkies flocking to see our movie."
Right. I had a friend who thought that the increased Lord of the Rings popularity due to the movies was a bad thing because people were styling themselves experts in the LOTR lore.

Truth is, they _were_ experts because they read the novels in a few weeks and became just as knowledgable with the franchise as she was after years of being a die-hard fan. Truth is, she felt her exclusive club was threatened.
Old May 21 2013, 07:18 PM   #41
sj4iy
Commander

The reason that Khan and the Borg are considered the best villains is because the heroes were outmatched and bad things happened. There's no thrill to it if it isn't dark. You can't do all of Trek like that, but it's a great building block for character relationships when their backs are to the wall. Most of my friends and my former Trekker husband loved it, but two of my friends weren't sure about it. I can respect everyone's opinion about it, but I will say that some people have rose-colored glasses on when it comes to the older stuff. I was never the type of person who could stick with one hobby for my whole life, so it seems strange when I have friends who do...but I think it has to do with change. I love change, and I hate routine. I try to figure everything out about something as fast as I can, and then move on to something else. But I know that not everyone is like that - I am married to a routine-loving nuclear engineer, so it's all about balance. Both of us really liked this movie, though, because it does have that balance to us- the old with the new. You can't make something completely new because then it really doesn't feel like Star Trek. But you can't keep everything the same because then you're just rehashing the same things. I know not everyone feels this way, but we do, and I guess that's good enough for me. I don't demand everyone else like it, though.

I will fight anyone that says a bad word about Cumberbatch, though, lol. He could have played a redshirt and he STILL would have stolen the scene.
Old May 21 2013, 07:56 PM   #42
Ryan8bit
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
It seems like the trekkies themselves don't really adhere to what Trek has been trying to say.
Most never have and never will.
Well, it's not as if Star Trek is a religion. Or so you'd think.
Old May 21 2013, 08:01 PM   #43
aeriolewinters
Lieutenant

It's only a matter of time until Futurama's version of the events will unfold.
Old May 21 2013, 08:13 PM   #44
dub
Fleet Captain

I'm outraged that you're outraged about some fans being outraged.
Old May 21 2013, 08:16 PM   #45
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's only a matter of time until Futurama's version of the events will unfold.
That would be nuFuturama - Seth McFarland's doing it.
Closed Thread