Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old May 21 2013, 06:35 PM   #16
aeriolewinters
Lieutenant

Re: A response to the Nerd Rage. Spoilers

I think alot of the hate is a smokescreen to the real issue at hand: WAHHH OUR SOCIAL CLUB ISN'T EXCLUSIVE TO US ANYMORE. GO AWAY DUMB REDNECKS WHO CAN'T UNDERSTAND MUH STAR TREK.

let people have their opinions
Yeah, they let Hitler have his opinion...look what happened.
Old May 21 2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

R. Star wrote: View Post
So because people don't share your opinions, don't like the same things you do, and have the audacity to express them, you hate them? Really classy. And really... ranting against "nerd rage?" Is your own post not an example of the exact opposite side of the same coin?

No, i hate irrational ignorant people who scream things like "There was no prime directive in TOS!"
Old May 21 2013, 06:39 PM   #18
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

EnterpriseF wrote: View Post
Sorry. The death scene and the fact that a star ship can withstand ocean pressures does nothing for me. Remeber when Trek was about science?
No, and I've been watching it since 1966. I understand it just fine, too, he said preemptively.

Star Trek used bits of science and technology - often in a misleading or misunderstood fashion - but what the posture of the series did represent was an endorsement for addressing experience in a reasoning, evidence-based and open minded fashion, all of which was certainly inspired by the mid-century American popular embrace of science and discovery as good in themselves.
Old May 21 2013, 06:39 PM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

aeriolewinters wrote: View Post
I think alot of the hate is a smokescreen to the real issue at hand: WAHHH OUR SOCIAL CLUB ISN'T EXCLUSIVE TO US ANYMORE. GO AWAY DUMB REDNECKS WHO CAN'T UNDERSTAND MUH STAR TREK.
I see a lot more people complaining about people who don't like it, than people who don't like it complaining. To say nothing of the mind boggling arrogance it takes to assume one's own opinion is right because it's yours and anyone else who thinks differently is somehow subject to ridicule because they have the audacity to express it.
Old May 21 2013, 06:40 PM   #20
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

Sorry. The death scene and the fact that a star ship can withstand ocean pressures does nothing for me. Remeber when Trek was about science?
um, Voyager episode "30 days" Tom took the Delta Flyer to Planet Ocean, deep in the core. Janeway said Voyager could do it, but it would take a week to modify Voyager for the journey down...
Old May 21 2013, 06:41 PM   #21
aeriolewinters
Lieutenant

To say nothing of the mind boggling arrogance it takes to assume one's own opinion is right because it's yours and anyone else who thinks differently is somehow subject to ridicule because they have the audacity to express it.
I.Know.Right? This statement is actually quite reflective for everyone. You say you have higher moral ground, but you still participate in this thread. So yeah.
Old May 21 2013, 06:42 PM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah, citing Voyager as an example of "Trek science" is an exercise in futility. Just sub the word science for magic and proceed.
Old May 21 2013, 06:42 PM   #23
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

I see a lot more people complaining about people who don't like it, than people who don't like it complaining. To say nothing of the mind boggling arrogance it takes to assume one's own opinion is right because it's yours and anyone else who thinks differently is somehow subject to ridicule because they have the audacity to express it.

I am not telling anyone they are WRONG for not liking it. I am pointint out that the reactions I am seeing online and in the podcast reviews I have heard, there is an irrational hatred that is not based on facts, but on an emotional feeling of what Trek "should be."
Old May 21 2013, 06:42 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Chu'lak wrote: View Post
um, Voyager episode "30 days" Tom took the Delta Flyer to Planet Ocean, deep in the core. Janeway said Voyager could do it, but it would take a week to modify Voyager for the journey down...
Let's not forget that a shuttlepod and a Klingon ship were both able to withstand the pressure of a gas giant atmosphere in Sleeping Dogs.

The technical aspects of hiding a starship under water don't bother me. It's the reason for doing it that alludes me.
Old May 21 2013, 06:42 PM   #25
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Chu'lak wrote: View Post
No, i hate irrational ignorant people who scream things like "There was no prime directive in TOS!"
Well, you could always hide in one of those threads titled "Only People Who Liked the Movie Post Here" to psychologically reinforce your view that the movie was great and nobody anywhere has any legitimate reason for not liking it. Then you can continue with like-minded fans to generalize anyone with a different viewpoint and never have to be challenged by any other view.
Old May 21 2013, 06:43 PM   #26
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

The hatred of Star Trek fans is the best endorsement Abrams could ask for.
Old May 21 2013, 06:43 PM   #27
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

Yeah, citing Voyager as an example of "Trek science" is an exercise in futility. Just sub the word science for magic and proceed.
Ok, we'll just take transporters for instance, for a transporter to really work, you'd have to heat the body to about 3 million degrees to break it down into energy....
Old May 21 2013, 06:44 PM   #28
R. Star
Rear Admiral

To say nothing of the mind boggling arrogance it takes to assume one's own opinion is right because it's yours and anyone else who thinks differently is somehow subject to ridicule because they have the audacity to express it.
I.Know.Right? This statement is actually quite reflective for everyone. You say you have higher moral ground, but you still participate in this thread. So yeah.
Did I mention a moral high ground beyond calling out certain behavior as I saw it? But thank you for proving my point that because you seem to dislike my stance on the issue, that you imply I shouldn't be posting here. So yeah.
Old May 21 2013, 06:44 PM   #29
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

This.
Old May 21 2013, 06:45 PM   #30
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

-Brett- wrote: View Post
The hatred of Star Trek fans is the best endorsement Abrams could ask for.

^This.

But that is what makes me so sad. Star Trek is about acdeptance, and opening ones self to the possibilities of countless opinions, but Jim Kirk dies and his best friend and him share a moment that they shared in another quantum reality and people want to march on JJ's house with pitchforks and torches.
Closed Thread