Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 21 2013, 01:16 PM   #811
Roald
Commander

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

AbramsIsSatan wrote: View Post
Iron Man 3 has already made a billion dollars worldwide (with a budget of only 200 million). It's opening weekend was 174 million. Paramount has to be disappointed with Star Trek in comparison.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ironman3.htm
ST has never had the appeal of the 'big superhero movies'... There have been much bigger hits than ST, but also many, many films with a similar (or even bigger) budget that have done far worse... In the end, STID will be a hit, but a modest one, rather than a monster hit like IM3. And I'm okay with that, because I think STID is an incredible film, so much more better than IM3.... I'd rather have a decent hit that I truly love, than a monster hit that I really can't connect to...
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:19 PM   #812
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Iron Man 3 has already made a billion dollars worldwide (with a budget of only 200 million). It's opening weekend was 174 million. Paramount has to be disappointed with Star Trek in comparison.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ironman3.htm
Yeah, but it was a better film in spite of its issues. Quite enjoyable, towards the end even touching, and I'll be getting it on DVD. I can't say the same for STID.

Phily B wrote: View Post
What they needed more of in the marketing.

- Klingons
- Khan
- Spock
- Vengeance firing phasers on the Enterprise

Too secretive, especially for a sequel 4 years later. I remember people on this board saying it's way too secretive, JJ Abrams would go onto a chat show and show 3 frames of it...which was what..six months before release? We knew nothing.
I'd say no to your list only because I think that would have made the ads even more misleading. The Klingons were barely used, and not used well, Khan went by a different name for most of the film and was definitely a hit-and-miss bad guy (that might be good kind of?), Spock (don't get me started) just... wasn't, and well I guess the Vegeance firing on Enterprise would work. There was definitely a lot of action.

The sad thing for me is that it was mostly dumb action that felt like it was piles and piles of crash-crash-bang-bang-boom-boom-'splosion-run-run-crash-crash.....................'splosion.

One thing that would have been honest would have been to make Kirk the center of every ad because that was definitely the case in the film.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:23 PM   #813
Vyse
Lieutenant

There were never any expectations that STID would perform at the same level as IM3. That would be totally unrealistic.

As far as how good the films are, that is all subjective. I still think the only good IM film is the first one. IM3 was no better than IM2 in my opinion, I was bored to tears watching IM3.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 03:15 PM   #814
Flake
Commodore

Iron Man 3 would've made much less at the box office if the Avengers did not come out last year. The first two got to 600m worldwide, IM3 will make it to over double that.

I too was bored watching IM3, though I have my issues with STID getting bored was not one of them
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 03:21 PM   #815
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Paramount's goal was likely for worldwide box office to go up to $500-600 million.
Old May 21 2013, 03:56 PM   #816
Joby
Fleet Captain

The ironic thing is that previous Trek films have always talked about having "the best villian since Khan" or "we have another Khan". I remember how ridiculous it got in the 90s and early 2000s. Soran was supposed to be Khan in GEN back in 1994. Then Ru'afo was supposed to be Khan in INS, then Shinzon was the next Khan in NEM.

The Khan silliniess wasn't limited to the TNG movies, I think I even remember reading about comparsions of Sybok to Khan around the time TFF came out. Khan, Khan, Khan, so many Trek films have tried to replicate a singular manipulative villian to the lengths of Khan.

ITD actually HAS freakin' KHAN, and they don't even want to brag about it!!! They having the villian to end all villians in Trek lore here. J.J. and the marketing department really dropped the ball by being so damn secretive about Khan. Even people that don't know Trek that well have heard of Khan at some point, they could have told everyone "we have the Joker of our universe in this movie, you better come see it!"

But face it, Trek will never be as mainstream or kid friendly as Star Wars or Batman. Ofcourse, we all know this is not new, this was the case back 30 years ago. What did a typical kid want to see? Vader and Luke in Return of the Jedi or Mr. Spock talking about "the needs of the many" in Wrath of Khan? That whole dork/loser sitgma is powerfully attached to the franchise, so it's amazing that despite that Trek still puts up very respectable summer box office numbers. Just not the numbers Paramount was hoping for. There's obviously a ton of closet Trek fans out there. And even Star Wars took some damage in the public cool-O-meter with the lackluster prequel movies and and the rabid fans dressed up was Wookies or Stormtroppers running around with lightsabers.
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 04:04 PM   #817
thumbtack
Commodore

Going to be interesting to see how this fares compared to 09 Trek.

Wow. I knew Nemesis bombed, but I didn't know it bombed that bad!
Old May 21 2013, 04:21 PM   #818
Vyse
Lieutenant

thumbtack wrote: View Post
Going to be interesting to see how this fares compared to 09 Trek.

Wow. I knew Nemesis bombed, but I didn't know it bombed that bad!
Yeah, Paramount opening "Star Trek: Nemesis: 5 days before "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" was idiotic.
Old May 21 2013, 04:28 PM   #819
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Vyse wrote: View Post
Yeah, Paramount opening "Star Trek: Nemesis: 5 days before "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" was idiotic.
It did badly right from the start, though. It lost its opening weekend to Maid in Manhattan, making it the only Trek film to fail to open at #1.
Old May 21 2013, 04:37 PM   #820
Vyse
Lieutenant

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Vyse wrote: View Post
It did badly right from the start, though. It lost its opening weekend to Maid in Manhattan, making it the only Trek film to fail to open at #1.
Definitely, but the close proximity also hurt it greatly I'm sure. While LOTR is fantasy, it was arguably the most anticipated movie of the year. Both are genre films that are action/adventure. So for the average movie goer, why would they see ST:N, when LOTR:TTT is coming out 5 days later.

I'm sure the terrible reviews played a role in how poorly it did also.
Old May 21 2013, 04:46 PM   #821
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

It failed because it sucked. I'm sure you can't blame TLRTTT for how bad it was received. It just sucked.
Old May 21 2013, 04:50 PM   #822
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

According to ERC on Twitter STiD made $8 million on Monday for a total of $91 million. It's a holiday in Canada, so that helps the daily take somewhat. Star Trek made $7.5 million on its first Monday. We'll get the full actuals in an hour or two.
Old May 21 2013, 04:54 PM   #823
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Funny how similar the numbers are. I guess Paramount now has a top-end by which to calculate future budgets from.
Old May 21 2013, 04:58 PM   #824
Vyse
Lieutenant

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
It failed because it sucked. I'm sure you can't blame TLRTTT for how bad it was received. It just sucked.
I'm not blaming TTT, I'm just saying I think it was the combination of the two. Even if NEM was a good film, it would have been obliterated 5 days later by TTT.
Old May 21 2013, 05:35 PM   #825
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Yeah, but it was a better film in spite of its issues. Quite enjoyable, towards the end even touching, and I'll be getting it on DVD. I can't say the same for STID.
Hooboy, that is certainly a matter of opinion. I found every attempt at pathos in IM3 to be incredibly forced and ineffective, which is surprising because of how well it did work in IM1. Hell, it was more believable in IM2 than in IM3.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of IM3 when I was in the theater, but it left me hollow once I left, and didn't stick with me at all. Knd of like the fortune cookie.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote