RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,687
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 570
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old May 19 2013, 03:45 AM   #46
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Let's get back to Roddenberry's trek

The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
the Ferengi being extremely well endowed in their nether regions (that would have been fun to see on syndicated TV).

More Sex Trek baby!
Oh you -know- Quark would've bragged about that.
Old May 19 2013, 05:29 AM   #47
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Jesus Christ, I pointed out, barely an episode went by that Kirk didn't get into fistfight, Federation colonies and outposts were wiped out on a regular basis, and all those redshirts didn't exactly die of natural causes. "Non-violent" indeed!

Where do people get this stuff?
From faulty memories and also from their bums.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:03 PM   #48
Belz...
Fleet Captain

LancerKind wrote: View Post
(Spoiler Free) The Trek movie franchise was in trouble. JJ Abrahms has made it a commercial success but at the cost of the Trek vision of social utopia.
I'm not sure the latter is that great for the franchise. Maybe in the 60s and 80s it was relevant, but these days, I don't know. We should also distinguish between the Trek movies, which have almost always been more action-oriented, and the series, which can afford to expand on more complex themes.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 03:12 PM   #49
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

Belz... wrote: View Post
LancerKind wrote: View Post
(Spoiler Free) The Trek movie franchise was in trouble. JJ Abrahms has made it a commercial success but at the cost of the Trek vision of social utopia.
I'm not sure the latter is that great for the franchise. Maybe in the 60s and 80s it was relevant, but these days, I don't know. We should also distinguish between the Trek movies, which have almost always been more action-oriented, and the series, which can afford to expand on more complex themes.
Of course it's relevant. It's one of the key things that makes Trek different from so much other science fiction and space opera--the idea that the future will be better that the present, that technology is not something scary but can be friendly and free humanity from the drudgery of working just to survive. If that goes away, then I don't really know what makes Trek anything special at all.
Old May 19 2013, 03:32 PM   #50
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Sorry. I meant relevant as in "appealing to people today". The studios don't seem to think so, but as long as we're stuck with movies it's hard to tell.
Old May 19 2013, 03:34 PM   #51
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I don't know, the cities and civilians looked pretty Utopian to me.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 07:03 PM   #52
stj
Rear Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Jesus Christ, I pointed out, barely an episode went by that Kirk didn't get into fistfight, Federation colonies and outposts were wiped out on a regular basis, and all those redshirts didn't exactly die of natural causes. "Non-violent" indeed!

Where do people get this stuff?
From faulty memories and also from their bums.
The faulty memories come from so easily forgetting the supposedly exciting action scenes.

Misusing "violent" as a synonym for "aggressive," particularly in relation to modern idealizations of aggression as heroic, would be the part grabbed from the ass.

What has never seemed to be legit is the implication that the Kirk the womanizer and the scifi action is what made people watch Star Trek in syndication. Really?
Old May 19 2013, 08:30 PM   #53
mlk
Ensign

Roddenberrys star trek isn't applicable to today, he created a sci fi show in the 60s and you could say the 80s, it's 2013 today, people have matured, they're not as naive. Today's biggest issues aren't USA vs Soviet, it's not interracial problems, it's culture clashes, religious clashes, and according to Roddenberry, earth 2260 is more or less western/christian culture. You can't create a tv show today which still pretends that the biggest issues we have today is if a white guy kisses a black woman, it has to be far more up to date, less cheezy, I mean by god I can barely stand 50% of Voyager's episodes today..
mlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 11:27 PM   #54
Casas9425
Lieutenant

I can't help but think that Roddenberry was something of a hack. Outside of the first 2 seasons of TOS the rest of his credits are garbage.
Casas9425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:55 AM   #55
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I wouldn't go so far as to say he was a hack. He did have the vision to Trek, and I did like some of the episodes/movies he helmed, but I don't think he understood how to appeal to audiences in general.

Anyway, some good, some bad.
Old May 21 2013, 02:27 PM   #56
R. Star
Rear Admiral

wissaboo wrote: View Post
I don't know, the cities and civilians looked pretty Utopian to me.
Was this before or after a megavillain started blowing them up, then culminating with a giant megaship crashing into it having to kill thousands at the very least?
Old May 21 2013, 04:32 PM   #57
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Anji wrote: View Post
You honestly think TNG got better after Roddenberry passed on the reigns???

The characters lost their souls. They didn't care about each other. Under Roddenberry the members of the USS Enterprise were family. Berman turned the ship into a cold, corporate work place.

They were one-dimensional characters that served nothing but to advance the plot.

And how about a little philosophy with your science fiction? You didn't see it under Berman. Berman era writers could barely write a plot let alone put some meaning into it.

Watch an episode of ENT and tell me that's not true.

Now, what I intended to post:

Star Trek is like fine art in this respect: there are many Cubists but only one Pablo Picasso. With Picasso dead we will never see Cubism created at such a high level. Same with Star Trek: Roddenberry died and took Star Trek with him. Such is the nature of creativity.

Enjoy what he left us.
Were we watching the same shows?

I'm a big fan of TOS. TNG, not so much. But your characterization of the "Berman era" doesn't ring very true.
Not in the least, agreed. Overpraising Roddenberry for the creative work done by many, many people does Trek no favors.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 08:15 AM   #58
Norsehound
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tracer Bullet wrote: View Post
Of course it's relevant. It's one of the key things that makes Trek different from so much other science fiction and space opera--the idea that the future will be better that the present, that technology is not something scary but can be friendly and free humanity from the drudgery of working just to survive. If that goes away, then I don't really know what makes Trek anything special at all.
I recall reading someplace Roddenberry wanted to illustrate a humanist utopian society with Next Generation. That meant no tensions between the characters. Things got pretty boring when the characters weren't allowed to bounce off one another and be flawed in the slightest possible way. Utopia is boring.

TNG played this down in later seasons and ultimately DS9 put some cracks in the foundation of that perfect utopian society to make it a little more colorful.

Humans of the future being similar to humans of today is, well, human. If you want a perfect utopian society where everyone is striving for perfection and goodness, look at the Borg. And we all know how exciting they are.
Norsehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 09:17 AM   #59
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Norsehound wrote: View Post
Tracer Bullet wrote: View Post
I recall reading someplace Roddenberry wanted to illustrate a humanist utopian society with Next Generation. That meant no tensions between the characters.
Which was actually true of TOS as well because there really wasn't any tension between the characters there as well. Sure, Spock and McCoy occasionally got into disagreements and traded barbs with one another, but it wasn't like they hated one another.

The only real difference with the TNG characters was that their disagreements were more civil and didn't resort to name-calling.

But with both TOS and TNG, the main conflicts involved characters who weren't members of the crew (the sometimes referred to "conflict from outside").
Old May 23 2013, 02:40 PM   #60
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

All evidence is that nine out of ten trekkies like Abrams's Trek movies, about the same percentage that shows up in polls of the general movie going public.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote