Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 21 2013, 03:21 AM   #796
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Joby wrote: View Post
This may seem like out there theory to some of you, but I honestly think one of the reasons for Trek 09's success was that it had far better trailers compared to ST: ITD.

The trailers for Trek '09 really pumped people up, I even remember plenty of non-fans talking about how they wanted to see the movie just by the trailers alone. I never heard the same sentiments from people who saw the STITD trailers. ITD trailers were nice, but they were not as epic and grand as Trek '09. That's partly why a huge mainstream audience flocked to see that movie.

Go to Youtube and compare to the trailers for Trek '09 to ITD,...Trek '09 is still stirring.

Here is a sample of Trek '09 trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RflL86cmMFA

So I think it came down to marketing as well, they should have bragged about having Khan more instead of the big secret.
While I don't agree with the idea about bring out the fact that Cumberbatch was playing Khan (mostly because people would've been WAY more negative up to and after release), I do agree that most of the STID trailers sucked. Only the final domestic trailer one felt like it was actually interesting, since most of them kept rehashing the same footage over and over.
Old May 21 2013, 03:34 AM   #797
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

What they needed more of in the marketing.

- Klingons
- Khan
- Spock
- Vengeance firing phasers on the Enterprise

Too secretive, especially for a sequel 4 years later. I remember people on this board saying it's way too secretive, JJ Abrams would go onto a chat show and show 3 frames of it...which was what..six months before release? We knew nothing.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 03:50 AM   #798
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Phily B wrote: View Post
Too secretive, especially for a sequel 4 years later. I remember people on this board saying it's way too secretive, JJ Abrams would go onto a chat show and show 3 frames of it...which was what..six months before release? We knew nothing.
They had the same problem with the game. Six months before release and we barely knew or saw anything, despite the game being announced at E3 a few years ago. Although in that case, it was understandable, since they were hiding how bad the game was.
Old May 21 2013, 04:13 AM   #799
Phily B
Fleet Captain

bullethead wrote: View Post
They had the same problem with the game. Six months before release and we barely knew or saw anything, despite the game being announced at E3 a few years ago. Although in that case, it was understandable, since they were hiding how bad the game was.
It blows my mind over and over how incompetent a lot of video game developers are. I worked in that industry for about a year, it's pretty unprofessional and it shows in a lot of work. It's scandalous that they had an entire extra year, but don't appear to have done anything during that time. An extra year should allow them to tighten up the gameplay, hype the game up and add new features.
Old May 21 2013, 04:53 AM   #800
donners22
Commodore

I thought the trailers were quite impressive, and I saw (and saved) a couple of newspaper articles which commented on how impressive the film looked. The final full trailer was spectacular. I don't see them as a significant problem.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:08 AM   #801
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

I think hiding Khan was a mistake. I don't see where the movie really gained anything by keeping it a secret. The reveal itself was kind of "meh." The artistic merits certainly don't outweigh any publicity gains they might of otherwise had.

And, without any proof to the contrary, have pin that blunder on Abrams.

Vyse wrote: View Post
Heck, you can argue that the 2009 film is darker due to the destruction of Vulcan.
I agree.

They also liked to play the "it's a very different kind of film" card a lot. Except it wasn't. The plotting/pacing was almost identical to the first one.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:32 AM   #802
timtonruben359
Lieutenant

There`s a lot of reasons why the movie didn`t get the box office that was predicted (the long gap between movies, the lack of actually promoting the plot) etc. But the big reason was the fact that younger audiences stayed away. Which means the next movie (and there will be a next movie whether Paramount keeps Abrams or not...and I`m leaning towards not) it will be made to appeal to younger audiences....which is not necessarily a good thing.
timtonruben359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 07:08 AM   #803
Lynn Minmay
Captain

I'm gonna see it at least two more times (like I did with the reboot).
Old May 21 2013, 11:01 AM   #804
Phily B
Fleet Captain

Gitesh Pandya ‏@giteshpandya 15h
Top Trek debut pre-JJ was 1996's FirstContact w/ $30.7M. Factor in
2013 prices 3D/IMAX & 4day admissions close to STID's.

man they really dropped the ball on the TNG movies after FC didnt they?
Old May 21 2013, 11:22 AM   #805
Kpnuts
Commodore

Gitesh Pandya ‏@giteshpandya 15h
Top Trek debut pre-JJ was 1996's FirstContact w/ $30.7M. Factor in
2013 prices 3D/IMAX & 4day admissions close to STID's.

man they really dropped the ball on the TNG movies after FC didnt they?
First Contact had the Borg, that's probably Trek's biggest seller in terms of storyline. Insurrection's fountain of youth idea was a slight step down from that.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:12 PM   #806
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Kpnuts wrote: View Post

First Contact had the Borg, that's probably Trek's biggest seller in terms of storyline. Insurrection's fountain of youth idea was a slight step down from that.
And then next up, the wedding of the ape and commander obvious. SO HOT.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:22 PM   #807
Dream
Admiral

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
The problem is that they couldn't come up with any interesting TNG film scripts outside the Borg. They did the movies just because they thought Trek fans would watch anything. If they don't care, why should we?

TNG was far better as a show than movies. I'd rather watch any of the countless great episodes from the show over any of TNG movies.
Old May 21 2013, 12:49 PM   #808
AbramsIsSatan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Going to be interesting to see how this fares compared to 09 Trek.

AbramsIsSatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:09 PM   #809
AbramsIsSatan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Iron Man 3 has already made a billion dollars worldwide (with a budget of only 200 million). It's opening weekend was 174 million. Paramount has to be disappointed with Star Trek in comparison.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ironman3.htm
AbramsIsSatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:14 PM   #810
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Flake wrote: View Post
Something overlooked by everyone when adjusting the old movies for ticket price inflation from 1979-1991 onward is the population of NA has increased by a great deal. Even though ST09 sold the most tickets of any Star Trek movie, the percentage of the population that went to see it was much less than TMP/TWOK/TVH maybe even TSFS?
True, and the funny part of it all is that for all of the in-house hype about this reboot production, the general public is not buzzing about this film at all. Early in the year, people were anticipating Iron Man (and easter eggs / subplots to future Marvel movies), but few--if any were looking forward or even mentioning ST. I've heard more public and industry talk about The Lone Ranger (of all concepts) than ST.

The status ST once enjoyed as "something to see" is not there anymore, but that's not entirely the fault of the underwhelming JJ films; years of lackluster, or just plain awful Berman TV series sent a torpedo into the body that has ST's cultural positon still in the ICU.