RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 524
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Name Of The Doctor"
Merlin 111 72.08%
Radagast the brown 30 19.48%
Barty crouch jr 5 3.25%
Destro 5 3.25%
Malekith 3 1.95%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21 2013, 11:15 AM   #316
VDCNI
Captain

Re: 7X13 The Name Of The Doctor(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

I think it was the About Time books who suggested if he has been hearing drumming all this time driving him slightly mad it would explain why he never seemed to realise alien races would double cross him, used ridiculously convoluted plans, disguised himself when there was no need to and why he pursued low level villany like trying to disrupt the signing of the Magna Carta.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 11:39 AM   #317
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You think the Meddling Monk was the Master?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 11:54 AM   #318
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Starkers wrote: View Post
I think because there's no indication any of the other Masters were hearing drums. You'd have thought they'd have mentioned it at some point.
Maybe it wasn't as severe back then. He didn't mention that he was lactose intolerant either.

Of course it's a retcon, but it adds a little something to the character to make him something more than just "like the Doctor, but EEEVIIIL", so that was a welcome addition to the character, as far as I'm concerned.
Old May 21 2013, 11:54 AM   #319
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
That implication is just as bad as the notion The Master has been hearing "the sound of drums" since he gazed into the Eye of Harmony, which is a notion I utterly despise
What's wrong with it?
In both cases, as Starkers suggested with The Master, there's absolutely no indication of such a thing has happened over such a long period of time (both in universe and in real time).

VDCNI wrote: View Post
I think it was the About Time books who suggested if he has been hearing drumming all this time driving him slightly mad it would explain why he never seemed to realise alien races would double cross him, used ridiculously convoluted plans, disguised himself when there was no need to and why he pursued low level villany like trying to disrupt the signing of the Magna Carta.
Interesting, which book states that and where? I have all of them but I've read small sections of each so far. (And on a completely off topic note, are they ever going to do books for Eccleston and Tennant?)

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 11:59 AM   #320
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Candlelight wrote: View Post
And I thought the Time War cut off all access to the past of the Doctor (when the Doctor destroyed Gallifrey then regenerated), so really Clara should only have been able to go back as far as the Ninth Doctor.

My theory is that the time lock is still in effect, hence why Clara missed the Hurt Doctor when she splintered everywhere. He's the Time War Doctor.

Not that I'm in any hurry to revisit the Time War. The Daleks are a threat to rival the Time Lords? LMAO. The Time Lords are elemental Gods. Give them a more interesting.. Enemy . Probably the ONE thing RTD did right in his otherwise atrocious treatment of the Time Lords was make them an all-powerful force. Swiftly stopped by a deus ex machina of course but otherwise very powerful.

Australis wrote: View Post
Speaking of novels, I'd like to declare 'Lungbarrow' non-canon.

There. I've said it.
There's no way in shit that I'm gonna accept Voyage of the Damned or whatever as canon and not the excellent Lungbarrow.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:19 PM   #321
Starkers
Admiral

If the Sontarans can invade Gallifrey then I'd say the Daleks are a decent foe for the Timelords, dangerous enough that the Timelords wanted to erase them from existance by sedind the 4th Doctor to ensure they barely made it past the drawing board. Besides the Daleks have had time travel since the time of the 1st Doctor which makes them a heck of a threat.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:45 PM   #322
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

In both cases, as Starkers suggested with The Master, there's absolutely no indication of such a thing has happened over such a long period of time (both in universe and in real time).
Yes, it's a new idea. I like that.
Old May 21 2013, 12:50 PM   #323
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I like ideas as much as the next guy but what when it contradicts (or simply doesn't line up with) a long history or said long history doesn't show any indication of such a thing happened (during a time when it was suppose to happen).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:57 PM   #324
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

I like ideas as much as the next guy but what when it contradicts (or simply doesn't line up with) a long history or said long history doesn't show any indication of such a thing happened (during a time when it was suppose to happen).
Contradicting old ideas is what new ideas do.

In my opinion, the Master is a terrible character, and anything that gives him a little substance is welcome.
Old May 21 2013, 12:59 PM   #325
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The Master is awesome in The Deadly Assassin, Logopolis, Castrovalva and Survival. Uh, that's about it.

If I were in charge I'd bring the Meddling Monk back. Much better character.
Old May 21 2013, 01:01 PM   #326
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I ret-con it as something that has always been there in a more subdued manner. The sound he heard when there was silence, a reminder of whatever he saw in the void and causing his more subtle and creeping insanity. When the Time Lords brought him back for the war, they brought him back 'wrong' and the drumming was now the ever-present and maddening sound he describes it as. By the time we meet Simm's Master it had been pounding in his mind for so long that he forgot a time when it wasn't.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:02 PM   #327
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

If the next person to write The Master has any sense they'll forget the drumming. Doesn't even make sense in the context of what RTD put it there for. Hearing drums makes you wanna kill innocent people? Da fuck?

If the Sontarans can invade Gallifrey then I'd say the Daleks are a decent foe for the Timelords,
The Sontarans invade for like 5 minutes before being stopped .
Old May 21 2013, 01:05 PM   #328
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
That implication is just as bad as the notion The Master has been hearing "the sound of drums" since he gazed into the Eye of Harmony, which is a notion I utterly despise
What's wrong with it?

VDCNI wrote: View Post
Interesting, which book states that and where? I have all of them but I've read small sections of each so far. (And on a completely off topic note, are they ever going to do books for Eccleston and Tennant?)
I don't remember it from About Time, but Russell T Davies himself said in Doctor Who Magazine that the drums must have been particularly loud on the day The King's Demons happened.

About Time 7, which will cover Series 1 & 2 (2005-06) will be out this September: http://madnorwegian.com/713/books/sf...series-1-to-2/
Old May 21 2013, 01:17 PM   #329
Starkers
Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
If the next person to write The Master has any sense they'll forget the drumming. Doesn't even make sense in the context of what RTD put it there for. Hearing drums makes you wanna kill innocent people? Da fuck?

If the Sontarans can invade Gallifrey then I'd say the Daleks are a decent foe for the Timelords,
The Sontarans invade for like 5 minutes before being stopped .
True, but they do gain a beachead on Gallifrey, and if they can do that what could the Daleks (who are clearly more advanced than Sontarans) do?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:57 PM   #330
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It was anticipation.

The Doctor assumed the worst, and let things play out just in case he was completely outguned, outwitted and outmatched...

Imagine his surprise when it just turned out to be the Sontarans.

Once he knew the face of the enemy, the all too familiar enemy, he could counter them easily.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote