TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 19 2013, 07:53 PM   #16
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Re: The Sisko/Picard scene in "Emissary"

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
DarKush wrote: View Post
If they could've found a way to put Sisko into the "Descent" two-parter I probably would've liked it better. And I finally would've gotten to see Sisko v. Borg Round Two (even if it wasn't the actual Borg Collective).
Interestingly enough "Descent" was originally supposted to be a TNG/DS9 crossover.
WHAT?! That would have been very interesting. I wonder how that would have worked? Borg going after the wormhole?
Old May 21 2013, 12:08 AM   #17
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think Sisko's response to Picard was perfectly reasonable. On one hand it was very unfair to blame Picard for Locutus' actions, but on the other hand, if you were in that battle it's impossible to avoid having those feelings.

Like, if somebody had a stroke while driving a car and then the car ran over your wife. You would know intellectually that it wasn't the person's fault, but you'd still feel like it was.

I think some of the hostile reaction toward Sisko at the beginning was due to the shock of seeing 'Our hero' criticized. Star Trek at that point had been a Starfleet love-fest, so seeing such hostility was unexpected. In retrospect it comes off much better.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:37 AM   #18
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Not a fan of Brooks in that show.

"WhhhhoooooEEE!"

The different tones in his character. I just would have liked more consistency. He was fine in the preamble, I had no problem with "Auuughhhhhhh we can't just LEAVE her!" and of course his stuff with Jake is always great.

Like, if somebody had a stroke while driving a car and then the car ran over your wife. You would know intellectually that it wasn't the person's fault, but you'd still feel like it was.
No...no I wouldn't. If the guy was still alive, I'd make sure he carried no guilt over it.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 07:44 AM   #19
CobraCommander
Lieutenant Commander

As was shown by the prophets; Sisko had ceased to be linear. He was trapped at Wolf 359 seeing Locutus' smug face every night in his nightmares. By chosing to remain in Starfleet, Picard had to expect these kind of reactions to him. It just goes with the territory.
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 03:04 PM   #20
RXTT
Lieutenant

The Sisko was upset in a way that Picard will never know. Picard never married (at that time), had not fathered any children, and did not have to think of how to raise a child without his spouse. Instead Picard has to live knowing he nearly commited genocide.
RXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 03:39 AM   #21
Anwar
Vice Admiral

It was a perfectly human reaction, and it fit Sisko's character at the time. He was still angry, bitter and hadn't realized how far he'd fallen as a person. The whole Prophets thing made him realize he had to let go and accept what his life had become, accept pain and loss as part of the human experience, etc.

The novelization of Emissary made it clear that Sisko felt awful over how he treated Picard and realized that Picard was just another victim of the Borg and didn't deserve any hatred from him.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 04:54 AM   #22
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

I don't think Picard had any right to 'chew out' Sisko for being pissed. I mean, Locutus was responsible for Jennifer's death. I think it would be hard for anyone to completely separate Picard from his actions as Locutus when they were such an up-close-and-pesonal victim of those actions. If Picard didn't know and appreciate that, then he has no conscience at all.

Yes... I think the conversation was intended to pass the baton and perhaps put a bit a distance between the two shows - give DS9 it's own identity. But asking Sisko to just forgive and forget without even a comment or attitude would have been pretty unrealistic, so I think they played it just right. For Sisko to just forgive and forget without struggle would be like a murder victim's husband in our own day, just forgiving and forgetting a criminal who had murdered his wife just because that criminal was found insane.

It's hard to do something like that - at least right away. Getting to forgiveness can take a long time.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote