Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 21 2013, 05:09 AM   #16
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight

I've forgotten, I thought there was mention of an affair in season one. Or was it just implied? I do admit that later seasons played it down to simply being attraction.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:27 AM   #17
Dream
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
I've forgotten, I thought there was mention of an affair in season one. Or was it just implied? I do admit that later seasons played it down to simply being attraction.
In "Conspiracy" we learned that Picard met Jack and Beverly when they were already married. Later in "Attached" we learned that Picard always had feelings for Beverly, but never revealed them to her because he didn't want to betray Jack. The truth only came out because their minds were joined because of alien tech.
Old May 21 2013, 06:29 AM   #18
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
I get the impression Picard is a "former Kirk". The character backstory does say he had an affair with his best friend's wife, so it isn't like he's Mister Squeaky Clean. It's more that by the time we meet him he's something a dark horse. Outwardly enlightened about the mistakes of his youth, but still harboring some of those impulses somewhere deep inside him.
There was no affair. The last time I checked, Picard and Beverly were only friends.

Picard lost the "former Kirk" in him the moment he got stabbed in heart by a couple of Nausicaans.
Shinzon: Picard that was never humbled by a life threatening wound through the heart. Arrogant, brilliant, poetic, self-centered, and overconfident.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 06:38 AM   #19
Maurice
Vice Admiral

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Hey all! We've just published a two-part on-camera interview with writing/producing duo Ira Steven Behr and Ronald D. Moore.

There's some TNG gold in there which I know people will enjoy hearing. Some of the points covered:

* Ira's panicked first assignment on the job where he's told to write a treatment for Season 3's "The Hunted" but struggles to understand what a Jefferies Tube is!
* Ron rushing out scripts as fast he can to get his first episode nailed, until he's told by Michael Piller "You don't have to do it THIS fast!"
* Ira's battle with "Captain's Holiday". His original script was rejected by Gene, who went CRAZY demanding instead to "Get the captain laid!" "Patrick wants to get laid; he doesn't do enough f---ing and fighting, you gotta get him laid!"

There's lots of other great nuggets in the interview, so check it out - it's available to watch as a video or you can read the transcript:

Part 1 - http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/exc...erview-part-i/
Part 2 - http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/exc...rview-part-ii/
Funny how these stories transmogrify over time. I met and interviewed Mr. Moore in 1990 and he said Patrick Stewart who complained the "the Captain doesn't do enough screwing and shooting"...no mention of Gene.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 08:25 AM   #20
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

^ this could explain why Picard was made all action hero like in the TNG films. FC called for action captain, but INS and NEM had significant input by Stewart. Picard driving the argo (which Stewart actually did since he was into driving fast cars at the time), going to the gym in NEM also check out his biceps in INS, and scoring some poon when Anji in the cave. Movie Picard is vastly different from the reserved show Picard.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:00 PM   #21
Harvey
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Funny how these stories transmogrify over time. I met and interviewed Mr. Moore in 1990 and he said Patrick Stewart who complained the "the Captain doesn't do enough screwing and shooting"...no mention of Gene.
I haven't been able to watch the video, but the transcript attributes those comments to Ira Steven Behr, not Ronald D. Moore. It also appears that Roddenberry was repeating his star's desires ("Patrick wants to get laid; he doesn't do enough fighting and fucking."). Since Moore wasn't in the room, and Behr also had a contentious meeting with Stewart after meeting with Roddenberry, I wonder if he just didn't misunderstand the facts at the time.

(On the other hand, it has been more than two decades. Do you have the old quote from Moore?)

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:36 PM   #22
davejames
Vice Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
^ this could explain why Picard was made all action hero like in the TNG films. FC called for action captain, but INS and NEM had significant input by Stewart. Picard driving the argo (which Stewart actually did since he was into driving fast cars at the time), going to the gym in NEM also check out his biceps in INS, and scoring some poon when Anji in the cave. Movie Picard is vastly different from the reserved show Picard.
I didn't mind them making Picard a bit more physical and active in the second half of the series, because I think Stewart had a point in one of the archival interviews that Picard needed to do more than just be a negotiator or stand around on the bridge or ready room giving speeches.

But the movies unfortunately just went completely overboard with the action. To the point where it actually started to look ridiculous to see Picard running around with a phaser rifle and climbing up steel girders after bad guys.

It just didn't feel like Picard at all.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:57 PM   #23
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Not to mention punching Rom's clone just seems akin to kicking an ugly helpless puppy
Old May 22 2013, 12:06 AM   #24
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

They established early on that the captain doesn't go on away missions, so there weren't a ton of opportunities to give Picard action. Also whenever he was of the ship, he was surrounded by an android and a klingon so he didn't need to do any fighting.

They basically had to separate him from the rest of the crew any time they wanted him to fight anyone. Starship Mine was the only real opportunity they created for that.

Then yeah, in the movies they had a 70 year old man climbing up metal structures. That was a bit silly.

I think it's implied that Picard was more Kirk-like for a little while even after he was stabbed through the heart. The point of the episode was that if he weren't Kirk-like enough to get stabbed he would have never been noticed enough to become a command officer.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 09:31 AM   #25
inflatabledalek
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
I haven't been able to watch the video, but the transcript attributes those comments to Ira Steven Behr, not Ronald D. Moore. It also appears that Roddenberry was repeating his star's desires ("Patrick wants to get laid; he doesn't do enough fighting and fucking."). Since Moore wasn't in the room, and Behr also had a contentious meeting with Stewart after meeting with Roddenberry, I wonder if he just didn't misunderstand the facts at the time.

(On the other hand, it has been more than two decades. Do you have the old quote from Moore?)
Certainly in his new commentary on The Bonding Moore talks about Stewart telling him this, so in this video (which I can't watch either) it could well be Behr, or even something as simple as a brain fart on Moore's part.

On the other hand, there clearly was a push in the third season to try and placate Patrick Stewart and keep him on the show, so Gene could well have been encouraging writers to up the sex and violence for Picard as well.
Old May 22 2013, 10:09 AM   #26
Salinga
Captain

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
^ this could explain why Picard was made all action hero like in the TNG films. FC called for action captain, but INS and NEM had significant input by Stewart.
FC actually too, because initially Riker was on the ship fighting the Borg and Picard was on the planet. Stewart asked during a meeting, why the captain wasnt on the ship and was fighting the Borg and then they switched Riker and Picard.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote