TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 20 2013, 07:08 PM   #3046
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

So why are they putting out Red Three (Biggs) for the X-Wing?
Old May 20 2013, 08:23 PM   #3047
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Are these just the same damn ships that have been released over and over and over, or are there actually new molds?
cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
I haven't been able to confirm either way. I don't know just yet.
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I didn't mean to come off confrontational. I just tend to roll my eyes at Hasbro when at least half of everything that the put out for Star Wars these days is just rerelease in packaging meant to pander to people's memories of their childhood.
Nah, you didn't sound confrontational. You sounded concerned. I'm also getting tired of perpetually rehashed molds just so Hasbro can save a few tooling bucks and maximize the earnings of their shareholders.
I kind of look at it like this--even though Hasbro may release the same figures and ships over and over again, each time is always going to be someone's first time getting them, and I think that's why they re-release so much stuff.
Old May 21 2013, 12:14 AM   #3048
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Heads up! Anyone interested in Justice League cartoon or DCUC figures. BBTS has a bunch of older exclusives available!
The biggest and best in my opinion in the SDCC exclusive Swamp Thing from a couple years ago for $16!
Old May 21 2013, 02:34 AM   #3049
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

B.J. wrote: View Post
Why? Or when?

If you mean when he'll be part of the very first wave of the new 3.75" Black Series line at the end of this coming summer and he'll be on store pegs to coincide with the Toys 'R' Us-exclusive Biggs X-Wing being released around the same time.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 04:23 AM   #3050
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I kind of look at it like this--even though Hasbro may release the same figures and ships over and over again, each time is always going to be someone's first time getting them, and I think that's why they re-release so much stuff.
I don't mind it as much (nor even care at all) when the rereleased figures and vehicles are very cool and a lot of fun. When it's sloppy repacks of figure molds from 2002 or 2005 that weren't exactly the best and most popular action figures with collectors and kids then? That's when the folks start complaining, facepalming and eyerolling and I can't blame them. I do the same.

If you're going to rerelease something, make it the best mold you have in your vaults. And if you can't, find one that comes pretty close. A spring-loaded, "spinning" Yoda that was kind of McDonald's Happy Meal cheesy and lame back in 2005 shouldn't be repacked six or seven years later and sold for almost twice its original retail price.

If you're going to repack an older Yoda, go with, say, the 2004 Vintage-style clamshell figure or the well-sculpted, fun ROTS Yoda that came with the cannon accessory. There've been quite a few that are pretty good if not great and much, much better than the one I mentioned earlier. Even kids can tell if a toy's subpar junk or not.

ETA: Just Breaking....the very first carded images of the four two-packs in the upcoming Saga Legends "Mission Series." These are aimed more at younger collectors and kids and have fairly minimal articulation, but the Clones have been getting some good reviews and word of mouth on some of the collecting websites as potentially great army building and diorama fodder, and these sets might possibly sell for as little as $9.99 each, making each figure in the set only five bucks.

At least six of the eight figures pictured use completely brand new molds (the two Battle Droids appear to reuse the five-jointed mold used for four of the droids that came with the MTT Transport vehicle). All four sets are slated for widespread retail release towards the end of this coming summer or the beginning of fall, around the same time that the basic Saga Legends and Black Series figures also hit stores.

Last edited by SantaEddie74; May 21 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old May 21 2013, 03:20 PM   #3051
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Why? Or when?

If you mean when he'll be part of the very first wave of the new 3.75" Black Series line at the end of this coming summer and he'll be on store pegs to coincide with the Toys 'R' Us-exclusive Biggs X-Wing being released around the same time.
No, I meant why, and I was referring to the X-Wing itself. Specifically, if this is the only X-Wing on the shelves (and I really have no clue if it is or isn't), why would they make the Red 3 version instead of Red 5?

A related question to your answer though, if they're releasing the Biggs figure, are they also going to release R2-Q2 in that line?
Old May 21 2013, 10:24 PM   #3052
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Sideshow reveals their ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Oh!

Ok, that price is steep, but this must still be mine! The Avengers will be long done by the time this comes out. Maybe I can work it in somehow.
Old May 21 2013, 10:53 PM   #3053
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

No, I meant why, and I was referring to the X-Wing itself. Specifically, if this is the only X-Wing on the shelves (and I really have no clue if it is or isn't), why would they make the Red 3 version instead of Red 5?

A related question to your answer though, if they're releasing the Biggs figure, are they also going to release R2-Q2 in that line?
I guess Hasbro just got a bug up its butt and wanted to do Biggs' X-Wing after all these years. I think part of it had to do with the plan for the brand new Biggs action figure that was in the works as early as the planning stages for the now-cancelled Droid Factory figure line and they thought it might be cool to get the new Biggs and buy his X-Wing from the original movie at roughly the same time. So they just took the most recent X-Wing mold, painted it up in Biggs-specific colors and there you have it: "new" fighter and in an awesome retro box that takes you back to 1979 if you were alive then and old enough to collect and play with the original toys.

As per R2-Q2, there are no plans to make him at present. We got Red Leader's astromech (R2-X2) back during the 2009-10 Legacy Collection line as well as a few years earlier in one of the online-exclusive astromech droid multipacks, but they've never done Biggs' droid as far as I can recall.

What do you guys think of the new "Mission Series" figures? I think I can predict what most of you will say based on past discussions of reduced-articulation figures, but I'm curious as to your takes on the new Saga Legends packaging and the choices of characters in these sets.

Old May 21 2013, 10:59 PM   #3054
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The high res images of Biggs' X-Wing looks like a brightly coloured Happy Meal toy. Hopefully they give it a dirty 'wash' to weather the paint job a little.

I can't get too excited about the Mission series. I may pick up the Vader one for the droid though.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 11:07 PM   #3055
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

The Anakin/501st Clone set is piquing my interest right now, but I won't know for sure until I see these in person and get to hold them in my hands. The sculpts look impressive, but the first promotional photos can sometimes be misleading and the final store product could look less interesting.

Old May 21 2013, 11:58 PM   #3056
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@OdoWan I'm getting an error message with your link.

After a delay...Eaglemoss is bringing their Starship Collection line to the States...here is what the line will feature.

http://www.thetrekcollective.com/201...ing-to-us.html

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 01:39 AM   #3057
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The high res images of Biggs' X-Wing looks like a brightly coloured Happy Meal toy. Hopefully they give it a dirty 'wash' to weather the paint job a little.
I'm a smidge unimpressed by the paint apps in the promotional image, too. I don't think it looks bad, but I'm hoping the final retail version coming out of the factory looks a little bit better.

This is going to be a Toys 'R' Us exclusive, but since it doesn't have any pack-in figure nor any appreciable electronic features than I can detect upon glancing at the packaging I'm hoping that the price is kept to a reasonable minimum. It's TRU and they love a good, meaty markup on their exclusive items, but they'd do good to not slap an exorbitant price on this thing. Part of the reason this exists is to be a companion ship for the brand new Biggs action figure, but if it winds up costing more than a lot of parents and collectors are willing to shell out then you're going to get a lot of Biggs figures that don't have an X-Wing to pilot or have to settle for piloting an older one.

Old May 22 2013, 01:55 AM   #3058
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
@OdoWan I'm getting an error message with your link.
Seems this announcement is killing their server.
It seems to be working fine right now.
Old May 22 2013, 02:55 AM   #3059
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Our first look at the DC Unlimited "Beware The Batman" Batman figure. I've been looking forward to this series and it looks like this will be the second figure of the line I'll be getting (I'll be getting Damian when he's finally released).

http://www.dccollectors.com/2013/05/...b_source=pubv1

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 03:35 AM   #3060
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

The plus side: It looks just like the character model from Beware the Batman

The down side: It looks just like the character model from Beware the Batman