Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old May 20 2013, 02:24 AM   #76
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Post here if you actually loved this movie!!

tmosler wrote: View Post
I am a big fan of star trek and have watched very episode of original series, next generation, ds9, and all the feature films. With that being said I loved it. Without a doubt this movie is now my favorite star trek movie ( sorry wrath of kahn) my family loved it and parts such as the kahn scream which I was holding my breath for didn't seem that bad. in fact the scream only lasted 2 seconds before the cut to another scene so I dont see the big deal. The only part I didnot like was that the villain is khan but I think it worked out good in the end. Also the Kirk death scene was not a copy of the original they added plenty of new dialog and there was only 3 short lines they copied. Lastly the audience greatly enjoyed it and laughed at all the funny parts.
Yeah, the scene right after made me jump in my seat. It's just "KHHAAAAN!" and then "FWOOSH!" and I nearly dropped my popcorn.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Old May 20 2013, 02:45 AM   #77
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

I also, by the way, loved the few small nods to Sulu as a captain. Especially him mentioning that it's hard to leave the chair once you get a taste for it with a reply of "Maybe someday."

I might be messing up the wording, but that was the sentiment, and as someone who always liked that aspect of Star Trek VI, I thought it was neat.
Old May 20 2013, 03:11 AM   #78
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

Scottys accent was great I almost thought it was the original scotty saying it. Also the audience and me burst into laughter during lines such as Jim I am a doctor not a torpedo mechanic.
Old May 20 2013, 03:15 AM   #79
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

I'm so glad I wasn't spoiled for this film (and I say that as someone who made it a point to get insider info on Revenge of the Sith - basically, I love being spoiled). The whole Warp Core Values scene was just brilliantly done. I kept thinking to myself, "They really are going to do this, aren't they?" And it was so well done that, for the entire sequence, I completely forgot about the magic blood. I was so completely wrapped up in the characters' actions - Kirk's sacrifice and fear ("I'm afraid), Spock's rage ...

I had no idea that "Khaaaaaan!" was coming ... and it completely worked for me. On several levels. The call backs were great, but I loved how the moment was the mirror of TWOK. In the older film it cements the end of profound relationship (TSFS notwithstanding). In STID, in cements the beginning. Just amazing stuff.
Old May 20 2013, 03:26 AM   #80
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

The movie was great. The reverse death scence was perfect and the Khannnnnn! was perfect. I knew the death couldn't stick but that whole scene was what made the movie even better than it would have been.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
Old May 20 2013, 03:38 AM   #81
CorporalClegg
Admiral

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
The movie was great. The reverse death scence was perfect and the Khannnnnn! was perfect. I knew the death couldn't stick but that whole scene was what made the movie even better than it would have been.
I agree. I thought it was brilliant.

Abrams & CO. have weaved undertones of a sort of Bradfordian paradox theme into the nuVerse, and this scene was the perfect culmination of that.
Old May 20 2013, 06:18 AM   #82
datagal
Admiral

I loved it. I was genuine surprise to see Nimoy in a cameo. I enjoyed it. I took my mother with me and she loved it too. She's not a big sci-fi fan.

rmi
Old May 20 2013, 06:21 AM   #83
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I've seen people complain about the Nimoy/Spock Prime cameo. I don't know why. They want nuTrek to be as much like old Trek as possible, but when the original Spock makes another appearance they come up with every flimsy excuse to say it was dumb, superfluous and wasn't any good.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
Old May 20 2013, 06:21 AM   #84
Silversmok3
Commander

Late as usual, but here I am nonetheless.

I just finished watching it, and I can proudly say I loved this movie. Perhaps this is colored with some degree of bias regarding my prior military service in the USAF, but out of the multiple touching moments in this film one which sticks out to me is the scene of Kirk, Commander of the Enterprise, and Leader of His Crew, facing the loaded guns of his enemy and knowing its curtains for himself and his people.

Its the visual expression of my worst nightmare when I was in the military: the person next to you IS the mission, and to face the no-win scenario not only served as a great thematic call back to Star Trek II, but it crystalizes the military leader's greatest fears.

I also liked the angle of the mad Starfleet Admiral attempting to use Khan for his own ends. Its a great example of the old controversy of the Means Justify the Ends argument. After a traumatic incident like the events of the previous movie, the prospect of losing a war with the Klingons would weigh very heavily on the brass. Its thus quite plausible someone would take things way to far in the name of "national security", an allegory quite appropriate to our current state in America today.
Old May 20 2013, 11:45 AM   #85
starbuck
Commander

Yes i loved it, and enjoyed seeing them set of on there 5yr mission
Old May 21 2013, 12:54 AM   #86
poundpuppy29
Lieutenant Commander

View poundpuppy29's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Yahoo to poundpuppy29

I am glad there are more lovers of the movie than haters
Old May 21 2013, 01:29 AM   #87
CorporalClegg
Admiral

poundpuppy29 wrote: View Post
I am glad there are more lovers of the movie than haters
As a rule, that's a good thing.
Old May 21 2013, 01:38 AM   #88
Worf'sParmach
Commander

Just saw it. Absolutely fricking loved it. Loved it. I can't even figure out what there is to not like.
Old May 21 2013, 01:45 AM   #89
Jen
Vice Admiral

Loved it. Drove down to Chicago last Wednesday for one of the advanced screenings, and the entire 2 hour drive home me and my friends could not shut up about how awesome this movie was. Like many others, I loved Pine as Kirk in this one. I finally bought that Pine is Kirk.

I was spoiled about the villain the day before the movie came out, and I was really hesitant about this British dude playing Khan. As I said to my TrekBestie....you can't replace Khan. You just can't.

I.Was.Wrong. CumberKhan was FREAKING awesome! We actually got to see Khan be cool and smart and strong and outsmart everyone. Love it. Plus...dude is hot. There's just something about his voice.

I can't wait to see it again. I'm taking my brother, against his will, because he needs to see just how epic this movie is.
You people have ruined Star Trek: The Next Generation for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all die. - Stewie Griffin
Old May 21 2013, 01:50 AM   #90
Tuskin38
Ensign

I loved it, I think I loved it more then XI.
Closed Thread