Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20 2013, 09:06 PM   #3301
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
^
Well since then, Nimoy insists he never wanted out. He talks about the trouble he had getting a call back about making ST:TSFS cause the CEO had heard he wanted out and wanted the character to die. That made the CEO afraid to let him direct the 3rd movie.

And I didn't even know there was another film coming until it was out.
It's likely TWOK would've been written without Nimoy if he turned down the death scene. Whether he was just playing Hamlet or not, only he knows, but it would be safe to say TWOK re-enthused Nimoy about "Star Trek". He apparently did have to convince Eisner of his real desire to do TSFS, but a lot of that was probably just showing he did sincerely enjoy it again since doing TWOK.

Last edited by Franklin; May 20 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 09:41 PM   #3302
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

You must not have been looking in magazines like Starlog, then.
Old May 20 2013, 09:44 PM   #3303
ConRefit79
Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
You must not have been looking in magazines like Starlog, then.
From time to time. But I don't remember seeing anything about it. Of course my sister was born that year, so we were a little busy.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 10:40 PM   #3304
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Caligula wrote: View Post
That was what was so great about the Klingon look from TMP to Enterprise, that no one Klingon looked exactly like another.
Actually, TMP Klingons' crests all came from the one mold. Lots of magazines used to print pics of any random TMP Klingon and label it "Mark Lenard as a Klingon".

Ditto all the chest armor. We didn't see variety until ST III.

And most of the crowd Klingons in ST VI were also one-size-fits-all, to save time and money. (The tiny ones in the distance, during the courtroom scene were actually multiple Playmates action figures of Gowron!)

We didn't see enough helmetless Klingons in STiD to judge that they all had identical crests and piercings.

Well since then, Nimoy insists he never wanted out. He talks about the trouble he had getting a call back about making ST:TSFS cause the CEO had heard he wanted out and wanted the character to die. That made the CEO afraid to let him direct the 3rd movie because he had heard Nimoy hated Star Trek and wanted in his the WOK contract to get out.
IIRC, Nimoy made it known at the ST II wrap party that he had so much fun doing ST II that he was looking forward to ST III... if he could direct. Any "trouble" getting a call back was simply typical Hollywood game-playing to secure the most lucrative deal.

Yeah, obviously you weren't reading "Starlog". Nor the "Wall Street Journal", which covered the "Spock Must Not Die!" campaign.

Franklin wrote: View Post
It's likely TWOK would've been written without Nimoy if he turned down the death scene.
And that's why Lt Saavik was written in. Originally a male, Dr Savik.

Filling a similar cast position as Phase II's Xon.

Last edited by Therin of Andor; May 20 2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: more
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 11:14 PM   #3305
Squiggy
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

J. Allen wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post

Sometimes a good performance doesn't need music to carry it.
This one did, cause it was just lame.
Death doesn't come with swells of music.

Unless you were trampled by a marching band.
That's how my grandfather died.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Caligula wrote: View Post
That was what was so great about the Klingon look from TMP to Enterprise, that no one Klingon looked exactly like another.
Actually, TMP Klingons' crests all came from the one mold. Lots of magazines used to print pics of any random TMP Klingon and label it "Mark Lenard as a Klingon".
Anyone bitching about the inconstancies regarding the Klingons' appearance really just needs to shut up.

It's also hilarious how the biggest complaint thus far is that people don't like how it's ripping off characters from The Wrath of Khan - which itself ripped off every character from Space Seed.
Old May 20 2013, 11:35 PM   #3306
flemm
Fleet Captain

Franklin wrote: View Post
Further, if they did telegraph anything throughout TWOK, it was that they could create life out of nothingness. Genesis planet, Spock's death, Genesis planet, hmmm. Just took another movie for it to happen in that case.
True. Anyway, I don't think that matters very much. I didn't even see TWoK until, I dunno... maybe 10 or 15 years after its release, but the scene still works as a scene, the aftermath of it is still poigant within the context of that movie.

I didn't feel a very strong emotional connection with what happened in this movie at that point. But... that could change for me, and anyway that type of thing is extremely subjective.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 11:37 PM   #3307
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Squiggy wrote: View Post
It's also hilarious how the biggest complaint thus far is that people don't like how it's ripping off characters from The Wrath of Khan - which itself ripped off every character from Space Seed.

My problem is not that they re-used Khan (and quite frankly, it's not even a 'problem') but that it's a bit too soon after the reboot to re-use plots. Also, they telegraphed it quite a bit. Everybody and their mother said they would do Khan back in 2009.
Old May 20 2013, 11:38 PM   #3308
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Belz... wrote: View Post
Everybody and their mother said they would do Khan back in 2009.
Bob Saget voiceover: "So kids, that's how I met your mother. She said they'd do Khan in 2009..."
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 11:39 PM   #3309
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

There are just times that the visuals are so powerful that they can make a movie.

I know that hiding a starship that has transporters in the ocean is fucking stupid. But when I see the Enterprise rise from the ocean and fly towards the volcano, I have just simply drooled.
Old May 20 2013, 11:41 PM   #3310
flemm
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
There are just times that the visuals are so powerful that they can make a movie.
Visually, I thought the film was amazing, yeah.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 11:42 PM   #3311
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

flemm wrote: View Post
I just bought the novelization hoping it makes the Nibiru mission make sense. It is really the only part of the film that I can't make work in my head.
Old May 21 2013, 12:16 AM   #3312
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I just bought the novelization hoping it makes the Nibiru mission make sense. It is really the only part of the film that I can't make work in my head.
Bob Orci did explain that on Trekmovie, but it's still open to question. The volcano interfered with their transporter lock unless it was line of sight. Apparently between motion and natural disasters, this timeline's transporters are quite finicky.

Also I gathered from Spock's line "that the planet will die" meant the small groups of inhabitants were all near the volcano, not that the planet itself would be destroyed.

RAMA
Old May 21 2013, 12:26 AM   #3313
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Starship history..Models on the desk

http://www.qmxonline.com/news/stid-h...flight-models/

-Chris
Old May 21 2013, 12:28 AM   #3314
cbspock
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post

Bob Orci did explain that on Trekmovie, but it's still open to question. The volcano interfered with their transporter lock unless it was line of sight. Apparently between motion and natural disasters, this timeline's transporters are quite finicky.

Also I gathered from Spock's line "that the planet will die" meant the small groups of inhabitants were all near the volcano, not that the planet itself would be destroyed.

RAMA
I took it that it would have killed everyone. In the book, Kirk takes the scroll to get the natives away from the initial blast radius of the volcano, and keep them distracted so they didn't see the shuttle.

-Chris
Old May 21 2013, 12:29 AM   #3315
SG-17
Commodore

I just saw it today for the first time and I was blown away. It was better than I could have hopped for. So much Classic Trek put into a bit over 2 hours. Plus the reference to ENT with the model of NX-01 on Marcus' desk was amazing.

All of the other references were awesome as well (Section 31!). The way they introduced and used Khan and the other Augments was amazing and much better than I thought could be done with the character as a first appearance in the new series. I truly didn't expect Benedict to be Khan.

Edit: I was hoping that the coordinates would be to Cold Station 12 just for more ENT references.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote