MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old May 20 2013, 04:05 PM   #1
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

Right so we have a lot of material to go on for a new series, temporal agency thingy, section 31 is possible, or maybe a series from the klingons point of view, maybe something to do with the vulcans, all series set around the abrahamverse trek, the sky's the limit if anything happens...
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:00 PM   #2
section9
Commander

Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

God, please, NO TEMPORAL COLD WAR, PLEASE!
Old May 20 2013, 08:07 PM   #3
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

By the temporal thing I meant department of temporal investigations
Old May 20 2013, 10:10 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

surak-toc wrote: View Post
Right so we have a lot of material to go on for a new series, temporal agency thingy, section 31 is possible, or maybe a series from the klingons point of view, maybe something to do with the vulcans, all series set around the abrahamverse trek, the sky's the limit if anything happens...
Wow...pretty much everything I don't want to see in a new Trek show.
Old May 20 2013, 10:21 PM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral

So Timecop then? Or if they travel through time Doctor Who.

I'm just not sure if it has the legs, it also sounds expensive to produce multiple sets for each episode, little to no real standing sets if you are travelling through time.

Whilst maybe an interesting idea I don't think it's feasible.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 11:11 PM   #6
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

ok, so yeah maybe its not that feasible and a big budget may be needed, what would be a good idea you reckon..
Old May 21 2013, 12:49 PM   #7
LtChange
Commander

I really don't think that a Klingon PoV or Vulcan PoV would be appealing to anybody but hardcore fans. A Klingon PoV or Vulcan PoV could work as an episode in a series, but making the whole series like that would not bring in casual viewers. Temporal Agency Thingy would be once again hard to do to bring in casual viewers, Section 31 could work if it is done right, as a spy series intersecting from time to time with the main universe. It would be more OK to do a series in the abrahamverse set aboard a starship different than the Enterprise that would be kicked of by a crossover with the movie Enterprise and some of the crew, and it would have higher ratings if they could cast some of the stars of the movies as recurring or regulars characters. But than again, I don't think they would do a series where they would compromise their own big screen adventures with some on screen continuity. I think it would be more interesting rebooting TNG in the abramsverse though ... Because of the new universe they would have the liberty to choose from established characters not only from TNG but DS9 and VOY as well, and they could mix them up as well as give them different roles. Now there they could have some fun with the established continuity, there you can have a sky is the limit scenario
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:40 PM   #8
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

now that idea sounds a lot more promising
Old May 21 2013, 02:26 PM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Time travel is overused in Trek as is. It's freaking easier to go back in time a 100 years than to warp from point a to point b conventionally.
Old May 22 2013, 03:34 AM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Humans on a starship or GTFO.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 11:47 AM   #11
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Humans on a space-station can work too, if done properly.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 11:54 AM   #12
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

i think if another series like that would happen then it would have to be far further into the future maybe, either that or maybe a series of star trek vanguard if that's plausible or not.
Old May 22 2013, 06:03 PM   #13
stj
Rear Admiral

The relentless insistence on treating the fictional science in SF as equivalent to fantasy means that all you have left is the characters. Treknology is retro, and it makes the stories retro. Going retro means choosing the old ideas.

The recent movies have given us Bond in Space meets the Odd Couple. But Spock is not Felix Unger. Given the ineptitude of the character work, there are very few ideas for a new show. That's why we're already reduced in the movie series to an alternate-universe remake of Wrath of Khan.

What they're not going to do is write SF stories with any relevance, no matter how strongly the characters' choices would define them. The only conceivable "interesting" characters in this mindset are cool, bad ass clichés, which means modern day characters. The disconnect between those characters and the supposed future will inevitably disconnect real emotional investment for anyone who doesn't identify with a particular sock puppet.
Old May 22 2013, 08:43 PM   #14
LtChange
Commander

Vanguard would be fun
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 02:32 AM   #15
Belz...
Fleet Captain

stj wrote: View Post
The relentless insistence on treating the fictional science in SF as equivalent to fantasy means that all you have left is the characters. Treknology is retro, and it makes the stories retro. Going retro means choosing the old ideas.

The recent movies have given us Bond in Space meets the Odd Couple. But Spock is not Felix Unger. Given the ineptitude of the character work, there are very few ideas for a new show. That's why we're already reduced in the movie series to an alternate-universe remake of Wrath of Khan.

What they're not going to do is write SF stories with any relevance, no matter how strongly the characters' choices would define them. The only conceivable "interesting" characters in this mindset are cool, bad ass clichés, which means modern day characters. The disconnect between those characters and the supposed future will inevitably disconnect real emotional investment for anyone who doesn't identify with a particular sock puppet.
I seriously have no idea what you're talking about.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote