Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 20 2013, 09:47 PM   #751
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

section9 wrote: View Post
You know WHY Lucasfilm put out Clone Wars, don't you? Not out of the goodness of their hearts.

Lucas and his people understood that it would be a decade between films. They wanted to get that generation of kids hooked on Star Wars.

Nobody at Paramount has that kind of foresight. If they did, they'd have the cast in studios doing audio and doing a decently made, canon, animated series based on the Five Year mission to get people ramped up for the next movie.
As far as getting kids hooked goes, SW has it over ST by far (as do all the comic book series). Therein lies the problem. It doesn't even have to do with the quality of the toys, but just what they are. A Spock doll or C3PO? Khan or Darth Vader? Kirk in uniform or a swashbuckling Han Solo? Data or R2D2? A light saber or a phaser? Which is cooler, a TIE fighter (with no pretense of being real) or the Enterprise (which pretends to be)?

Would a kid want to be Iron Man on Halloween or McCoy?

Disney is going to do all it can to work the Marvel characters it has legal rights to into its Florida theme parks. There's already a large "Star Wars" presence at the Disney Hollywood Studios. DC characters (at least used to) have a tie-in with Six Flags.

The closest thing to any of this I've seen in Trek over the years was a Borg-themed roller coaster at Paramount Kings Dominion around the time FC came out. That, and you could buy t-shirts with the Starfleet arrowhead on them. I guess the Las Vegas Trek experience would count, too. But that was hardly at a kid-friendly place.

Not to sound facetious, but comparatively speaking, what the hell is there in "Star Trek" to market to kids? Cultivating young fans seems to be an area where Trek will always lose out.
Old May 20 2013, 09:48 PM   #752
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
I also rarely go to a film on opening day, or opening weekend. Too much hassle, too many crowds. One exception to this was in fact Star Trek Into Darkness. I saw it opening day here (the 9th), but during a daytime showing, on my day off, when the theatre was nearly empty.
I always go to tentpole movies weekdays/early showings now. I loathe the Friday/Saturday night throng, which are usually replete with assorted feckless idiots, insistent on volumously regaling the audience with their continuous witticisms.
Old May 20 2013, 09:52 PM   #753
I am not Spock
Commodore

I got into Trek when I was 12 (shrugs). I loved the action figures, and the phasers, micro machines ship models, etc. I saw Trek some time before I saw Wars.

But yeah, you may be right. Wars has a broader appeal. There's more there for children.

I do think they should make another TAS though, with this cast
Old May 20 2013, 09:53 PM   #754
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
Not to sound facetious, but comparatively speaking, what the hell is there in "Star Trek" to market to kids? Cultivating young fans seems to be an area where Trek will always lose out.
Puring Tribbles? Scotty's side kick Keenser?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 10:01 PM   #755
MacLeod
Admiral

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
I also rarely go to a film on opening day, or opening weekend. Too much hassle, too many crowds. One exception to this was in fact Star Trek Into Darkness. I saw it opening day here (the 9th), but during a daytime showing, on my day off, when the theatre was nearly empty.
I to very rarely go see a film opening weekend, it's usually one or two weeks later. Though I did go to see Into Darkness on opening morning, opening morning being 00:05. Their were only about 40 people tops viewing it in the screen I was in, but they did have it on 2 screens.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 10:14 PM   #756
Flake
Commodore

Paramount & CBS should have worked together on a cartoon to rival 'Clone Wars' years ago... still nothing. Adventures of the Enterprise in-between movies! It would be a hit.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 10:19 PM   #757
pineiskirk
Ensign

timtonruben359 wrote: View Post
I'm sick of people portraying this as some massive box office bomb. It's number 1, and took in 84M+ over the weekend which is actually where Paramount had originally projected it before they moved the IMAX opening to Wednesday. The problem is the IMAX opening I think was moved too late and that probably affected the numbers.

Yes, the domestic numbers are lower than what I think the studio had hoped for but the international markets are making big gains compared to previous Trek movies. Studios are turning more and more to international markets as domestic box office hasn't been as strong as in the past.

The movie had some cons (no pun intended) going for it. The first movie in 09 was set up to reboot and refresh the franchise, problem is they waited 4 years for the second installment. When you're tying to build up a franchise, 4 years is too long. The second movie should have been out in 2011 or 2012 at the latest. Also, Star Trek is not a mainstream thing as much as Paramount is trying to turn it into one. It's still a bit of a niche market. Finally, why all the secrecy surrounding the villian? Now that the truth is out and we've learned who Harrison really is I've found people around me going cool I'll have to see it now. They should have promoted the heck out of that IMO! The word of mouth seems to be good for the movie and I think that'll keep it standing.

That being said it's a forgone conclusion there will be a third movie. I think it'll be out by 2016 to mark the 50th anniversary. Whether JJ Abrams is involved or they trim the budget a little, we'll see.
I agree with you 4 years was too long but i don't think JJ helped anything by accepting star wars episode 7 since that's all anybody talked about not his current star trek movie .
pineiskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 10:23 PM   #758
I am not Spock
Commodore

I would be all for another TAS.

I don't know why they don't go for it. I wish CBS and Paramount would play nice, and one or the other not throw their toys out of the sandpit and go home.

Just get the cast into a booth, get the guys who made Clone Wars on the phone, and go at it
Old May 20 2013, 10:31 PM   #759
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

Interesting boxoffice analysis from Forbes magazine:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...st-84-million/
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 10:42 PM   #760
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
Overall, a very good analysis.
Old May 20 2013, 10:46 PM   #761
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Cyrus wrote: View Post

Its easy to disagree with much of the opinion in the article. Starting with Gatsby, which didnt really blow anyone away, got mediocre reviews and only slightly surpassed expectations ($45 million to $50 million was the prediction, and it made $51 million). Perhaps they took a small percentage of the female audience, the ones that would have made the opening hit $90 million, but its not really huge. Also if it holds to pattern and with the Memorial day weekend, we're looking at another $40 million+ next weekend, plus whatever it makes during the week, possibly pushing up the total to $140-150 million in 12 days. Its not a bad total at all.

RAMA
Old May 20 2013, 10:47 PM   #762
Vyse
Lieutenant

Good, objective analysis. The film seems to be in a grey area. It certainly isn't a bomb, but it isn't the big hit they were hoping for either.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 10:57 PM   #763
Dream
Admiral

The good news is that after this weekend, there won't be another big movie until Man of Steel. So two free weeks of weak competition until Superman returns.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 10:59 PM   #764
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
The good news is that after this weekend, there won't be another big movie until Man of Steel. Sp two free weeks of weak competition until Superman returns.
There's lots of good news, starting with the fact that even with the two opening this week, it's memorial day weekend where all the movies get a bump.

RAMA
Old May 20 2013, 11:02 PM   #765
The Transformed Man
Commander

View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile

RAMA wrote: View Post

Its easy to disagree with much of the opinion in the article. Starting with Gatsby, which didnt really blow anyone away, got mediocre reviews and only slightly surpassed expectations ($45 million to $50 million was the prediction, and it made $51 million). Perhaps they took a small percentage of the female audience, the ones that would have made the opening hit $90 million, but its not really huge. Also if it holds to pattern and with the Memorial day weekend, we're looking at another $40 million+ next weekend, plus whatever it makes during the week, possibly pushing up the total to $140-150 million in 12 days. Its not a bad total at all.

RAMA
^^^^^^
This.

The Forbes article has some interesting observations but Forbes is selling this week's potential grosses very short. Given the film has performed in line with Trek 2009 there's no reason not to expect it the perform similarly during the week bringing in $25-28 million Mon-Thurs, and next weekend the film will certainly make some $40+ over the four day weekend giving it a total close to $150, again on par with Trek 2009.

I think waaaaay too much is being made of this last minute $100 million estimate.

Yancy