Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 20 2013, 06:05 PM   #31
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Ideas for episodes

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Early in S1, one of the little people onboard can't handle what's happened to them and the fact that they may never see their family again and attempts suicide. They are saved and in sickbay recovering from the effort, where Janeway tries to counsel the crewman to help them come to terms with what has happened.
I had a similar idea once, about a depressed crewman and the staff organizing an all-ship olympics, with a foot race, endurance tests, etc... with the grand prize being some replicator rations or something, but instead, at the end, Q shows up, says he's been greatly entertained by the event and offers to send the winner only home. Either the winner is the depressed guy or he's friends with him, and Q zaps said one person home.

I also wanted Janeway to keep the dog Q gave her, or else have them brought a dog over in the pilot, or picked one up somewhere. That show badly needed a pup, and I'm not talking Chuckles.

Follow-up eps with the Equinox crewpeople woulda been good.

There should of course have been far more shagging, dating, etc. Multiple kids, and I'm not talking Borg ones... but that's not a specific episode idea.

The FPS game "Elite Force" could've made a pretty great 6-7 episode arc. "The Void" was similar in ways; maybe there was an inspiration there?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:03 PM   #32
hux
Lieutenant Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
"I'm going to have you executed in a slow and painful fashion if you don't tell me where your captain is so I can hunt him down and kill him because he's a disgrace to humanity!"

Yeah... she was nuts that episode. But given how irrational she was behaving in Year of Hell when her ship was damaged heavily, I could see her doing exactly what Ransom did if Voyager was heavily damaged and the space slugs were dropped on her doorstep. But evil Doctor is fun stuff.
I didn't really mind her behaviour....it was Chakotay being utterly powerless to stop her or remove her from duty....Riker would have done if Picard was acting that way.....but then again, that's the point isn't it...she wasn't really acting out of character in that episode....it was just more severe than usual...so i guess Chakotay knew the crew wouldn't back him if he suggested she was not behaving normally...i'm sure most of the crew would have looked at him and said..."erm yes she is"

Gaith wrote: View Post
I had a similar idea once, about a depressed crewman and the staff organizing an all-ship olympics, with a foot race, endurance tests, etc... with the grand prize being some replicator rations or something, but instead, at the end, Q shows up, says he's been greatly entertained by the event and offers to send the winner only home. Either the winner is the depressed guy or he's friends with him, and Q zaps said one person home.
I really like that idea as a Q episode but without the depressed crewman aspect...and maybe it would be better if Q informs the crew what the real prize is right at the outset and this causes conflict and jealousy among them

Lister - Don't give me any of that Star Trek crap, its too early in the morning
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 10:52 PM   #33
teacock
Admiral

I also wanted Janeway to keep the dog Q gave her,
But where did it come from? Was it a real dog Q snatched from somewhere in the universe? All the other stuff Q appeared on people could be just replicated by his fabness but the dog is a living creature.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 11:53 PM   #34
Gaith
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
But where did it come from? Was it a real dog Q snatched from somewhere in the universe? All the other stuff Q appeared on people could be just replicated by his fabness but the dog is a living creature.
Does it matter? Voyager needed a ship dog. Period.

I honestly thought you'd be on my side for this one, teacake.
Old May 21 2013, 12:20 AM   #35
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Eh, I think the Voyager crew would have started to make a lot more moral compromises if they were in Equinox's position, but I don't think they would have gone as far as to murder innocent creatures.

They might, however, have gotten rid of their 'No sharing technology' rule, tossed aside the underdeveloped species noninterference clause, or had a different attitude in cases like Prime Factors or False Profits.

That would have been an awesome storyline where the ship is on the brink of destruction, and Janeway finally caves "Okay, we'll give you replicators if you help us".

Also it would have been great to see the real Maquis philosophical differences. I don't think they should have rebelled and taken over the ship. But, every time the Maquis were differentiated from the Federation they were portrayed as if the 'Maquis way' was behaving like opportunistic thugs. The Maquis were never portrayed as thugs in DS9, the Maquis we meet have the same kind of moral certitude as the Federation with different morals. Chakotay should have been pushing Janeway to say, support rebels against tyranny.

That would have been a great episode. Voyager runs into a semi-reasonable dictatorship. One that's not going around slaughtering people, but are still tyrannically oppressing people. The dictatorship makes a deal with Voyager to cross their space. They then come across colonies of people who are fighting for their freedom against the dictatorship. Prime directive, yadda yadda yadda, can't interfere. The Maquis start secretly sending supplies to the rebels, and some of them even want to stay behind and fight.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:30 AM   #36
lurok
Commodore

They really missed that trick in Future's End LA-setting where they could have had Paris and Janeway pursue Braxton on to the Paramount lot where they were filming a certain sci-fi series...

I'd still like to see a Doctor Who episode where they travel back to Sixties and meet Verity Lambert.
Old May 21 2013, 09:32 AM   #37
teacock
Admiral

Does it matter? Voyager needed a ship dog. Period.

I honestly thought you'd be on my side for this one, teacake.
All the men on this show are ridiculous puppies so I never felt like there was a need.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 21 2013, 08:54 PM   #38
Gaith
Rear Admiral

All the men on this show are ridiculous puppies so I never felt like there was a need.
... Aaaaand now I'm picturing Beltran with furry cheeks and a wagging tail.
Old May 21 2013, 09:36 PM   #39
M
Vice Admiral

hux wrote: View Post
The one i'd like to see would be an episode where the universal translator stops working (TBH i'm amazed Star Trek has never done this episode already....
Well, they kind of did exactly that on Deep Space Nine. There was the season two episode "Sanctuary", where the entires first act was about the universal translator not being able to decipher the language of the alien of the week. An then there was "Littel Green Men", where the universal translator wasn't working properly either.

The whole scenario you're describing also vaguely sounds like the season one episode "Babel", in that all the characters can't understand each other anymore.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 11:45 PM   #40
Queen Arachnia
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia

^^I love your Garak signature!

That scene was great.
Old May 22 2013, 12:06 AM   #41
teacock
Admiral

lurok wrote: View Post
They really missed that trick in Future's End LA-setting where they could have had Paris and Janeway pursue Braxton on to the Paramount lot where they were filming a certain sci-fi series...
That would have completely freaked me out.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 22 2013, 12:24 AM   #42
Gaith
Rear Admiral

How about an episode where the ship is hit with a gender-o-beam, and everyone temporarily switches genders?

... Yeah, that would only have had a 96% chance of being completely terrible.

Dang, VOY's a hard one to come up with episode ideas for! So many of the missed opportunities were in the details and through-lines, not the lack of this or that gimmick of the week.
Old May 22 2013, 01:06 AM   #43
R. Star
Rear Admiral

How about an episode where the ship is hit with a gender-o-beam, and everyone temporarily switches genders?

Dang, VOY's a hard one to come up with episode ideas for! So many of the missed opportunities were in the details and through-lines, not the lack of this or that gimmick of the week.
Oh but Q has to be in that one...
Old May 22 2013, 07:46 AM   #44
teacock
Admiral

We already had the EMH and 7 switch.

Would the have just turned into the other gender, like BAM! Janeway is suddenly a man or would they switch bodies with crewmen. The switching with crewmen thing has been done in so many other shows but I guess they don't just BAM! change genders because it's going to be costly.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 22 2013, 06:39 PM   #45
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ "Body and Soul" is a pretty good installment of Sitcom Trek Voyager, but it wasn't exactly a switch in that we never got Seven-as-Doctor.

And I'm definitely suggesting a BAM! change rather than a body-for-body switchapalooza. I mean, to the extent I'm suggesting it at all.