New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Booji, May 20, 2013.

1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Wondering that too. Would love to know what Ron Moore had cooked up.

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree! Even if it's late in the series (like the excellent Darth Maul vs. Palpatine duel) it would be a thrilling end to Ahsoka's journey. Plus, maybe (unlike Obi Wan in ep.IV) Ahsoka pounds the crap out of him and almost kills him as Vader - since he's in the armor who knows how much more punishment he could take?

Even if there's only one appearance of Vader in the series I would be so satisfied with that. Fanwank territory maybe, but these two have a real history and a real reason that Vader (and the Emperor) would consider her a threat.

I said a lot of bad shit about Disney recently.... :vulcan: If they'd canceled TCW with this announcement it would have avoided a lot of bad publicity for them with the core fans. I guess I'll have to take a lot of that back. Serials are great and I was surprised at how good TCW turned out to be in that format, historically favored by Star Trek. It will be interesting to see how much involvement with the Jedi have the rebels while establishing themselves. I'm off to check the deleted scenes from ROTS for some perspective on that.

And now we have to wait until fall 2014. Well, that's better than summer 2015. I'm a bit more excited for this series than ep VII. :D

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I can't see him actually headlining the series as a lead villain. Maybe as the shadow lurking in the background. Or spending most of his time on command ships... geez, who knows? I guess anything's possible at this point. I'd be thrilled with Vader as lead bad guy but I can't see it materializing.

Hope the style isn't any more kid friendly/cartoonish either. A seamless transition between it and TCW would be important.

4. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I would love for this fight to be the finale of the series. I'm also hoping they incorporate the fanwank idea I had for the finale of TCW and have Ahsoka pop up as Leia's nanny. It would only make sense that she would have a guardian angel like Luke did.

5. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I'm still behind on Clone Wars (I think I'm on season 3 of the DVDs), but bring it on! Am I right in saying this area has hardly been touched per GL's edict?

6. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

The emphasis they seem to be putting on the work of Ralph Mcquarrie really excites me. One of the things that really captured my imagination way back when the first movie came out, was seeing his work beforehand in magazines like Starlog (issue #6, IIRC) and such. If they can bring that look to the screen in animated form, it could really be pretty cool, I think.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

If that means Ahsoka beats or regularly outsmarts Vader, shoot me now.

Vader would mop the floor with her.

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. So Disney CAN do more than one thing at a time! :eek: I can't believe it because they spent the past couple of weeks trying to convince everyone that they couldn't. It's clear that they just wanted a Star Wars cartoon that they created and could control 100% of time. By Disney's logic, they shouldn't even be doing this series because it has nothing to with Episode VII. Disney hasn't earned the right to make me excited about any SW animation project they've started.

That being said, this could be a really good series. I'm happy that Filoni is back and he's bringing some CW crew with him. Hopefully this will allow him to bring over elements like Ahsoka, Rex, Darth Maul, etc. Hope we'll get an Obi-Wan on Tatooine story too.

I've heard good things about Weisman. The SW cartoons have always had talented people running them. I like what Kinberg did on X-Men First Class but he also was involved in X3 The Last Stand and I hated that Sherlock Holmes film. But he's working on the new movies so that should be interesting.

I'm curious what the animation will be like. The 3D animation they used in The Clone Wars made me skeptical at first but I became a big fan on it and it literally got better every year.

Here's hoping this will be a really great show!

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

You want her dead?

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. It's the best explanation for her absence during the OT.

Wouldn't mind some Force Unleashed characters popping up.

11. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This could be a very, very interesting series! At first I was a bit reluctant (I've grown a bit tired of Clone Wars/Dark Times stuff) but this specific period hasn't been covered very much outside of Force Unleashed and a few books and comics. Should be fun.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see any downside to this news, sounds good.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I have a hard time getting excited about anything to do with SW, so we'll see.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I was that way for a long while, but between this news, the new JJ trilogy, and the new comic, I find myself slowly getting excited about it again.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Greg Weisman was born to writer Emperor Palpatine. This is a perfect combination in my opinion.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I have mostly optimistic thoughts about this new series. There are so many opportunities to explore OT characters during the course of the 20-year gap between the birth of the Empire and the events of the original movie and chronicle what some of them experienced during those shadowy years of the Dark Times.

Boba Fett. Obi-Wan as he slowly transitions from Ewan McGregor to Alec Guinness. The earlier exploits of Vader as he learns to live and function from inside his life-support armor. Boy Luke and Girl Leia.

I'm looking forward to it. Disney: don't screw this up.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It'll also allow enough time for boy Luke and girl Leia to be old enough to be getting into trouble (in Luke's case) and becoming educated about and aware of galactic and Imperial politics (in Leia's). Plus, it'll allow Obi-Wan (now "old Ben") to have aged enough during his exile to look and act more like Alec Guinness.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I dunno... I'm not sure Palps is a subtle or intelligent enough character to be up to Weisman's standards of villain writing. Not every bad guy can be a Xanatos.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

YES! I just knew that they would do something like this the moment Clone Wars ended! :techman:

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Movie, not trilogy.