MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 143 19.32%
A 160 21.62%
A- 99 13.38%
B+ 82 11.08%
B 58 7.84%
B- 27 3.65%
C+ 40 5.41%
C 38 5.14%
C- 24 3.24%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.73%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20 2013, 05:02 PM   #3271
ConRefit79
Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Yes, because regular transporters are so within the field of plausibility.
Well actually they may not work exactly as Trek says, but scientists are working on it. But what they're working on sounds more like the duplicate at a remote location then destroy the original. They've successfully "beamed" photons in the lab so far.

And they're working on Warp drive. In the 90's A physicist from Mexico came up when a formula for warp drive. But it required too much power to work. But recently they've found if you create the field in a certain way it may be doable.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:17 PM   #3272
Crazyewok
Commander

That was one of my minor quibbles is that it took only a few minutes to get from Earth to Quo nos (ITS SPELT WITH A Q DAMMIT !!!!) but the then its not really a sin confined to JJ Abraham's is it?

Im ok with the magic blood due to augment treatment being used to transform Bashir from retard into Genius. So it has already been kinda established.

As for the Vengeance only having a crew of one it was started that if NESSARY it could be crewed by one not that one was the optimal number of crew.

Transwarp beaming? against if I remember correctly section 31 had this tec in DS9 to get agents on and off stations.
It could be argued that this tec was considered a huge security risk and as such suppressed in case it fell into the hands of the Klingons or Romulans. It could also be risky too hence why its not widely adopted.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:42 PM   #3273
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
(ITS SPELT WITH A Q DAMMIT !!!!)
I let that pass as soon as I saw it, because I figure it's done that way for the same reason that Romulans were bald with facial tattoos in the previous film. The thought being that if you don't spell "Qu'Onos" the way it sounds, then the general audience (i.e. non-Trekkies) won't get it. Just like making the Romulans distinguishable in appearance from Vulcans allows you to skip a certain amount of exposition about the shared history of the two races and just get on with the parts of the story that are directly connected to the story you're trying to tell.

Not that I completely agree with either decision, but I've seen Trek film screenwriters commit worse offenses, and I can at least rationalize these choices.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:51 PM   #3274
RAMA
Vice Admiral

http://www.trektoday.com/content/201...er-darkness-2/

For fans hungry for more after seeing Star Trek into Darkness, a new comic debuting later this month will be of interest.

IDW Publishing‘s Star Trek after Darkness will continue the story after Star Trek into Darkness.

Star Trek after Darkness is written by Mike Johnson, illustrated by Erfan Fajar, and overseen by Roberto Orci.

“You’ll see immediately on the first page of [the story] that it’s very much a sequel in terms of plot,” said Johnson. “Things happen in the movie that can’t be ignored going forward, and we will see the repercussions play out over the months to come. It’s also a character-based sequel, as we see how the crew reacts to the events of the movie, and what it means for their relationships going forward.”

“You can read the comics as a lead-in to the movies, and then come back to the comics after you see the movies and feel like the story is continuing seamlessly,” said Johnson. “This is really possible thanks to Bob Orci godfathering the comics creatively, ensuring that it all feels like one big story playing out across different media.

Last edited by RAMA; May 20 2013 at 06:28 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:52 PM   #3275
T J
Commodore

Caligula wrote: View Post
In the "homage scene" for example, Giacchino provides NO music. At all.
100% agree... in WOK Kirk was running thru the ship with that wonderful score playing, tugging at your heart strings. In Into Darkness we heard Spocks shoes go clickity clack...
Old May 20 2013, 05:54 PM   #3276
Belz...
Fleet Captain

2) The new-ish look for the Klingons. The helmets look like something that belongs on a Predator, and once said helmets are removed, every Klingon depicted looks indistinguishable from the next
T'was always so, methinks.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:55 PM   #3277
ConRefit79
Captain

T J wrote: View Post
100% agree... in WOK Kirk was running thru the ship with that wonderful score playing, tugging at your heart strings. In Into Darkness we heard Spocks shoes go clickity clack...
Is it completely up to the composer where to add music? Or could this be the directors and or producers choice?
Old May 20 2013, 06:11 PM   #3278
Caligula
Vice Admiral

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Is it completely up to the composer where to add music? Or could this be the directors and or producers choice?
Regardless of whose choice it is, I just think the scene works better with that swelling score that accentuates Kirk's sense of panic in TWOK.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:16 PM   #3279
ConRefit79
Captain

Regardless of whose choice it is, I just think the scene works better with that swelling score that accentuates Kirk's sense of panic in TWOK.
Agreed. My favorite track on the ST:TWOK soundtrack is Genesis Countdown.
Old May 20 2013, 06:18 PM   #3280
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The official spelling is Kronos.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:55 PM   #3281
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I haven't read this entire 219 page thread but was there some kind of explanation how Khan's men ended up in the torpedoes other than he snuck them in there? That's the one part that didn't make a lot of sense to me. So Khan is working on these torpedos by himself? In a room full of cryo tubes?

I rated it a "B", a solid Trek outing and I'd like to see more films of this type. The original ST 2009 had the "newness" factor that put it in "A" territory for me.
Old May 20 2013, 07:17 PM   #3282
cbspock
Rear Admiral

One thing I really think worked well in both movies was having Pike as Kirk's mentor. We never got to see Capt. Garrovick in the original series but Kirk had similiar reactions to their deaths.

-Chris
Old May 20 2013, 07:21 PM   #3283
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Sometimes a good performance doesn't need music to carry it.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:24 PM   #3284
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

2) The new-ish look for the Klingons. The helmets look like something that belongs on a Predator, and once said helmets are removed, every Klingon depicted looks indistinguishable from the next.
I've only seen it three times, but I only thought one Klingon took off his helmet?
Old May 20 2013, 07:32 PM   #3285
ConRefit79
Captain

beamMe wrote: View Post

Sometimes a good performance doesn't need music to carry it.
This one did, cause it was just lame. You know they're not going to kill him yet. They telegraph it throughout the movie they can cheat death. You didn't know that the first time you saw TWOK. But I guess it moves so fast, maybe the average viewer doesn't notice.

Last edited by ConRefit79; May 20 2013 at 07:46 PM.