Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 20 2013, 11:38 AM   #61
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Would you like a bsg style reboot of Star trek?

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
There's NOTHING wrong with the holodeck
There's ALWAYS something wrong with the holodeck.

(or any other aspect of Star Trek), period.
I don't think you can determine that by decree. Personally I think, tech-wise, the Replicators were a bad idea because it's a god-tech. Ditto with the transporter when it's not used just to, you know, transport.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:27 PM   #62
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Faria wrote:
I'd like tp see a reboot of star trek like the reboot of BSG:

-no alien
-no superweapons
-no magic technology (transponder,replicator,universal translator)
-no particle of the week
-with more internal coherence
-no time travel
ecc

and you?
It just isn't Star Trek without those things, what would be the point? Even the shows that strayed farthest from what TOS was featured all those tropes.
Faria wrote:
ùmy idea is to set star trek thousands of years in the feature:

earth colonies many world, then there were wars for the independence of the colonies, a space middle age, with lost of technology and knowledge. The eart will be discriminate for its past of oppression and submit to occupation by one or more of indipendent colonies.

I begin a serie here: the colonie/colonies which occupy earth allow to earth people to explore the space, but gradually, and finally with a long rage exploration ship. It'll be a rebbot of Star trek enterprise.
That's a great idea for an original setting, I think it would be hampered by shoehorning it into Star Trek.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:54 PM   #63
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

It sounds a lot like season 2 of Buck Rogers.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 04:36 PM   #64
Faria
Lieutenant

Belz... wrote: View Post

Isn't that what we have ? A meaner, more modern Trek ?
I mean a more realistic, less naif and more meture star trek

So... not Star Trek, then ? Haven't we seen all that in other series and franchises ? You don't seem to like Star Trek very much.
I was A star trek fan between 14 and 18, then I find it to naif (with the exception of some episodes) and started to fantasize about a reboot

And did I just read that you don't like horizontal turbolifts ??
yes, i don't like it, they are dumb
Faria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:08 PM   #65
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

Faria wrote: View Post
I was disappointed by 2009 reboot of star trek because i hoped it was an opportunity to put off the most naif part of star trek. Unfortunately the reboot highlight the part of star trek i don't like.

-no alien
-no superweapons
-no particle of the week
-no time travel
ecc

and you?
What you are proposing is just BSG, which we already have If you take those things out of Star Trek, then it is no longer Star Trek, but just a generic dark scifi thing. Anyway, the transporter may or may not be possible, the the ransponder and universal translator are certainly not magic heck, google has an app right now that is probably the beginnings of an eventual universal translator. Heck, even BSG had a warp drive type system, although in Star Trek, that device doesn't actually take the Enterprise 'faster than light' per se. It's more like a short cut (at least it was retconned that way in TNG). I say just let shows like BSG and Firefly do the darker themes and more practical universe, and let Trek be Trek.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:12 PM   #66
Faria
Lieutenant

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
I was disappointed by 2009 reboot of star trek because i hoped it was an opportunity to put off the most naif part of star trek. Unfortunately the reboot highlight the part of star trek i don't like.

-no alien
-no superweapons
-no particle of the week
-no time travel
ecc

and you?
What you are proposing is just BSG, which we already have If you take those things out of Star Trek, then it is no longer Star Trek, but just a generic dark scifi thing. Anyway, the transporter may or may not be possible, the the ransponder and universal translator are certainly not magic heck, google has an app right now that is probably the beginnings of an eventual universal translator. Heck, even BSG had a warp drive type system, although in Star Trek, that device doesn't actually take the Enterprise 'faster than light' per se. It's more like a short cut (at least it was retconned that way in TNG). I say just let shows like BSG and Firefly do the darker themes and more practical universe, and let Trek be Trek.
For how they work in ST translator and transponder are magic (same for holodeck)
Old May 20 2013, 07:23 PM   #67
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

So is artificial gravity. Should they get rid of that?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:30 PM   #68
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

Well, I could fall back on that often-used quote 'any technology sufficiently advanced.....

our modern smart phones, with their LCD touch screens and internet, and even just the wireless phone part, would look like pure magic and witchcraft to someone from 100 years ago. People should remember that Star Trek is 'science FICTION' and the fiction part is very important The technology doesn't always have to be intricately explained or even possible in the way it is presented, as long as it has some in-universe consistency and it serves the story. I would also argue that the holodeck and translator are 'magic' to us, but because this is fiction, the writers provide some vague plausible science in the background, and then we just fill in the blanks on our own, or just accept it for what it is, and there is nothing wrong with that . If you can't just enjoy Star Trek for what it is then maybe you just need a bit more of an imagination .
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:33 PM   #69
Faria
Lieutenant

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
yes but, i don't know how to ezplain it in english, artificial gravity is necessary for the show sight
Old May 20 2013, 07:39 PM   #70
Pavonis
Commodore

You're not describing a reboot so much as something more like wiping your computer and installing Linux, then saying it's a Windows OS because you used a Windows logo for your desktop wallpaper.

Your new rebooted "Trek" might be interesting, but, as others have pointed out, it wouldn't be Trek. Why stick the Trek label on it when it's so different?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:41 PM   #71
Marten
Captain

Absolutely not. BSG was wonderful with all it's grittiness, but Star Trek is not supposed to be that way.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 10:13 PM   #72
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It's really a "let's take all the fun and wonderful stuff out of Trek" approach.
Old May 20 2013, 11:02 PM   #73
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Faria, a lot of us here get picky and critical about little stuff in Star Trek because, overall, we love it so much. But you don't seem like the concept of Trek at all. I don't understand why you're even here.
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 11:37 PM   #74
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

You do need aliens and exploration to be Star Trek, and you also need optimism. But, I think you could scale back the tech and still have it be Star Trek.

Warp drive is a plot necessity in order to make it possible to visit other planets. Transporters could be removed, or you could make it so for transporters to work you have to have a transporter fixture at both ends. You can remove all other god-tech to give it that BSG machine gun aesthetic. You can also make the aliens less humanoid and less like us, like the ones in the Ender series. Just so long as the basic drive of the show is to go out, explore space, and try to make friends with aliens.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:50 AM   #75
The Wormhole
Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
yes but, i don't know how to ezplain it in english, artificial gravity is necessary for the show sight
Artificial gravity is necessary for the show's budget. They simply don't have money (or even time) to hook all the actors up to harnessess so they float everywhere all the time. It's why BSG never once considered not having artficial gravity.