Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Name Of The Doctor"
Merlin 111 72.08%
Radagast the brown 30 19.48%
Barty crouch jr 5 3.25%
Destro 5 3.25%
Malekith 3 1.95%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20 2013, 03:10 PM   #271
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: 7X13 The Name Of The Doctor(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Okay, maybe this is totally reaching (also super fanwanky), but it's Moffat, so who knows?

With the re-introduction of Library River, I really can't help feeling that we might find ourselves back there. Could there be any significance to the episode title "Silence in the Library?" Eh?
Old May 20 2013, 03:16 PM   #272
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

If Clara hadn't intervened this would have been the Fall of the 11th Doctor. The Silence didn't want the Doctor to live to open the door and let the GH undo all of the Doctor's victories and leave the Universe in ruin. It was better to kill him early than to have his previous battles undone.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:18 PM   #273
RoJoHen
Awesome

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
If Clara hadn't intervened this would have been the Fall of the 11th Doctor. The Silence didn't want the Doctor to live to open the door and let the GH undo all of the Doctor's victories and leave the Universe in ruin. It was better to kill him early than to have his previous battles undone.
I get that. I guess I just figured that the Silence would actually be there. If all else fails, Trenzalore would be their one last chance to stop him.
Old May 20 2013, 03:21 PM   #274
Starkers
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Silence will fall when the Question is asked. Well, the Question was asked. What exactly was supposed to happen? Why was Madame Kovarian so crabby?
Well, we've seen what was supposed to happen, haven't we? Billions of people dead, history rewriting itself. The Silents were just trying to prevent all that from happening, they were the good guys! Hell, I'm sure one of them works with Madame Vastra and we've just forgotten about him!

Also, it must be said that the short scene in which the Doctor was crying was heartbreaking and very well acted.
Very much agreed

I get that. I guess I just figured that the Silence would actually be there. If all else fails, Trenzalore would be their one last chance to stop him.
Why would they be there? Their agent killed the Doctor by Lake Silencio
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:22 PM   #275
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I get that. I guess I just figured that the Silence would actually be there.
They were. They even broke a glass panel on the TARDIS' front door.
Old May 20 2013, 03:22 PM   #276
RoJoHen
Awesome

Starkers wrote: View Post

Why would they be there? Their agent killed the Doctor by Lake Silencio
That...is a very good point.

I would have worked that out eventually. This is what I get for watching things first thing in the morning.
Old May 20 2013, 03:23 PM   #277
RoJoHen
Awesome

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I get that. I guess I just figured that the Silence would actually be there.
They were. They even broke a glass panel on the TARDIS' front door.
Pretty sure that was from the fall.
Old May 20 2013, 03:43 PM   #278
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Well, The TARDIS did fall at/to Trenzalore with 11 in it.

Silence did fall when the question was asked and The Doctor didn't say anything at first

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:19 PM   #279
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Well, The TARDIS did fall at/to Trenzalore with 11 in it.

Silence did fall when the question was asked and The Doctor didn't say anything at first
Maybe the Silence were involved in a battle that the Doctor helped prevent or stop? Him being undone by the GI would mean that they would've been defeated or completely eradicated. So him answering the question, and allowing the GI to do what he did, would result in their fall.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:21 PM   #280
Saul
Rear Admiral

No no no.

If the Doctor had fallen here then it would have been a paradox because he would have fallen before he was supposed to have fallen. This is his future where he "fell in battle". The silence might be referring to that event. I don't see the Tardis falling out of the sky as being more significant than his actual death fall in battle.
Old May 20 2013, 06:29 PM   #281
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Saul wrote: View Post
No no no.

If the Doctor had fallen here then it would have been a paradox because he would have fallen before he was supposed to have fallen. This is his future where he "fell in battle". The silence might be referring to that event. I don't see the Tardis falling out of the sky as being more significant than his actual death fall in battle.
Sure, but the GH going back in time and defeating/killing the Doctor over and over in the past created a paradox as well, since if the Doctor died at Adrozani, the Dalek Asylum, or in Victorian England (or all three and then some) then he could never have died at Trenzalore, leaving behind the means for the GH to go back and kill him.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:49 PM   #282
MacLeod
Admiral

The phrase "silence will fall" could refer to the Doctor's victories turning into death. "The Stars are going out". Which we saw in TNOTD, no stars could = no life hence silence.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:51 PM   #283
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

This has been mentioned once or twice so far but Clara being on Gallifrey before the First Doctor sets out on his adventures is interesting. Does that in fact mean The Time Lock was broken or was it something like The Time Lords using a loophole to send the White-Point Star diamond to Earth out of The Time War?
Old May 20 2013, 06:54 PM   #284
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
This has been mentioned once or twice so far but Clara being on Gallifrey before the First Doctor sets out on his adventures is interesting. Does that in fact mean The Time Lock was broken or was it something like The Time Lords using a loophole to send the White-Point Star diamond to Earth out of The Time War?
Could be that the Doctor himself is the only pre-Time War space/time construct that extends (properly) into the post-Time War space/time manifold.

Hence, the Doctor's own timeline is the only portal between the pre- and post-Time War realities.
Old May 20 2013, 06:55 PM   #285
MacLeod
Admiral

Clara could be on Gallifrey because The Doctor was on Gallifrey, she was in his timeline.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote