RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,586
Posts: 5,515,342
Members: 25,158
Currently online: 523
Newest member: Giarc1982

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 20 2013, 02:28 PM   #316
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

beamMe wrote: View Post
Well, the impulse engine is just bigger now.

But I got the impression that the bridge deck looked taller after the refit.
If you look at the screencap, there seems to be blue light coming from the depressions in the front end of the nacelles. I was under the impression that it was dark before. Maybe there are other small cosmetic changes.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:32 PM   #317
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Belz... wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
Well, the impulse engine is just bigger now.

But I got the impression that the bridge deck looked taller after the refit.
If you look at the screencap, there seems to be blue light coming from the depressions in the front end of the nacelles. I was under the impression that it was dark before. Maybe there are other small cosmetic changes.
I've noticed those lights - I like them, they're exiting
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:35 PM   #318
cbspock
Rear Admiral
 
cbspock's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

beamMe wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
Well, the impulse engine is just bigger now.

But I got the impression that the bridge deck looked taller after the refit.
If you look at the screencap, there seems to be blue light coming from the depressions in the front end of the nacelles. I was under the impression that it was dark before. Maybe there are other small cosmetic changes.
I've noticed those lights - I like them, they're exiting
There are 4 lights


-Chris
__________________
"It's important to give it all you have while you have the chance."-Shania
cbspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:05 PM   #319
EJD1984
Commander
 
EJD1984's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

beamMe wrote: View Post
EJD1984 wrote: View Post
I just saw the movie yesterday. For some reason it seemed like in some of the outside panning shots into and around the bridge window (and other exterior areas) I got the feeling that they may have tried to visually reduce the size of the Enterprise by about 10-15%. Just seemed a little smaller to me overall.

Also, did anyone notice a change in the design of the ship at the end of the movie?

I'm sure there's more, but I'll probably have to wait for the disc to find them.
Well, the impulse engine is just bigger now.

But I got the impression that the bridge deck looked taller after the refit.
It's still a design change.

That could be where the sense of smaller size is coming from for me.
__________________
NXX-1701
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:50 PM   #320
anh165
Commander
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

A subtle change ...

__________________
No animals were harmed during posting ...
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:53 PM   #321
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

anh165 wrote: View Post
A subtle change ...

Trust me, we'd notice. And the change was put in probably to note that some time had passed.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 04:04 PM   #322
EJD1984
Commander
 
EJD1984's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
A subtle change ...

Trust me, we'd notice. And the change was put in probably to note that some time had passed.
And to sell more (updated) Enterprise merchandise.
__________________
NXX-1701
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 04:13 PM   #323
anh165
Commander
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

Trust me, we'd notice. And the change was put in probably to note that some time had passed.
And to sell more (updated) Enterprise merchandise.

Well if that is the case, perhaps it would have been better for the stuidio to have


But I personally wouldn't like that idea so I happly take what they did.
__________________
No animals were harmed during posting ...
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 04:31 PM   #324
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

anh165 wrote: View Post
Well if that is the case, perhaps it would have been better for the stuidio to have
Or...

Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 04:43 PM   #325
EJD1984
Commander
 
EJD1984's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Belz... wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
Well if that is the case, perhaps it would have been better for the stuidio to have
Or...

__________________
NXX-1701
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:02 PM   #326
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

I'm not sure a TV series would involve the Enterprise.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 01:09 AM   #327
EJD1984
Commander
 
EJD1984's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

I just watched part of the History Channel special - Star Trek: Secrets of the Universe, and there were some nice shots from the new movie.

From this (high-res) close up of the Bridge at the end of the movie, in comparison to the first movie, the window appears to be substantially taller. In consequence, the area above the bridge in the original 2009 construction pictures appears to have enough room for two decks. Now it looks like there is only room for maybe one deck.

My (personal) conclusion - ILM has shrunk the Enterprise size down by 15-20% at the end of the movie.
__________________
NXX-1701
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 01:16 AM   #328
Kpnuts
Commodore
 
Kpnuts's Avatar
 
Location: London
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
I just watched part of the History Channel special - Star Trek: Secrets of the Universe, and there were some nice shots from the new movie.

From this (high-res) close up of the Bridge at the end of the movie, in comparison to the first movie, the window appears to be substantially taller. In consequence, the area above the bridge in the original 2009 construction pictures appears to have enough room for two decks. Now it looks like there is only room for maybe one deck.

My (personal) conclusion - ILM has shrunk the Enterprise size down by 15-20% at the end of the movie.
That bridge shot is from the middle of the film, not the end. And why would ILM scale the size down, it makes no sense? More likely the model from the 2009 teaser trailer is just out of date, understandably so.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 01:28 AM   #329
EJD1984
Commander
 
EJD1984's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

^^^Middle or end - There is a real change here. Watch the first 00:45 seconds of the special, and compare the height of Kirk walking up to window, and you'll see.
Plus there is a pan over from the end of the new movie at the 2:22 mark that matches up.

Maybe ILM and the producers listened to the fans criticism and did a slight/small appeasement.
__________________
NXX-1701
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 01:44 AM   #330
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
I just watched part of the History Channel special - Star Trek: Secrets of the Universe, and there were some nice shots from the new movie.

From this (high-res) close up of the Bridge at the end of the movie, in comparison to the first movie, the window appears to be substantially taller. In consequence, the area above the bridge in the original 2009 construction pictures appears to have enough room for two decks. Now it looks like there is only room for maybe one deck.

My (personal) conclusion - ILM has shrunk the Enterprise size down by 15-20% at the end of the movie.
I think we should compare with the first movie, not the trailer for the movie. But let's check a shot from '09:



It's hard to say because there seems to be some CGI lens-like distortion... but it doesn't look quite the same scale. It's still _much_ bigger than the 'classic' 1701.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
argument, size, starship

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.