Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old April 27 2013, 01:22 AM   #121
Danger Ace
Commander

Re: why is there no more talk of a new star trek tv series?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Here's the lowdown regarding Trek's ownership. There was a time in which Star Trek was wholly owned by Paramount (which in turn, was owned by Viacom). But that ended in 2006 when Viacom and its sister/rival company, CBS, were separated and Paramount was divided between them. Viacom got Paramount Pictures, while what was formerly Paramount Television (which includes Star Trek in all its various incarnations) eventually became the property of CBS. Paramount continues to make Star Trek movies, but only under license from CBS (Paramount pays CBS for the use of Star Trek). CBS is the ultimate owner of Trek and any new TV series is theirs to say, not Paramount or anyone else.

The current relationship between CBS and Viacom is like a separated couple that underwent a very messy divorce. CBS got full custody of Star Trek and Paramount got visiting rights. They don't really get along that well, otherwise as feuding and infighting was among the reasons why CBS and Viacom were separated.
Great info. Out of curiosity, do you know if that restructing was further fallout from the disasterous AOL/Time-Warner merger (man, that one was really f'ed up and I know took a really long time to recover from)?
Old April 27 2013, 01:43 AM   #122
Harvey
Admiral

What would AOL-Time Warner have to do with Viacom?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 02:04 AM   #123
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Here's the lowdown regarding Trek's ownership. There was a time in which Star Trek was wholly owned by Paramount (which in turn, was owned by Viacom). But that ended in 2006 when Viacom and its sister/rival company, CBS, were separated and Paramount was divided between them. Viacom got Paramount Pictures, while what was formerly Paramount Television (which includes Star Trek in all its various incarnations) eventually became the property of CBS. Paramount continues to make Star Trek movies, but only under license from CBS (Paramount pays CBS for the use of Star Trek). CBS is the ultimate owner of Trek and any new TV series is theirs to say, not Paramount or anyone else.

The current relationship between CBS and Viacom is like a separated couple that underwent a very messy divorce. CBS got full custody of Star Trek and Paramount got visiting rights. They don't really get along that well, otherwise as feuding and infighting was among the reasons why CBS and Viacom were separated.
Great info. Out of curiosity, do you know if that restructing was further fallout from the disasterous AOL/Time-Warner merger (man, that one was really f'ed up and I know took a really long time to recover from)?
Nah, that was something between AOL and Time-Warner, the CBS and Viacom split was totally different and unrelated (different companies from the get-go).
Old April 28 2013, 11:51 AM   #124
Shazenab
Ensign

My only hope fora returning Star Trek series is that it's good. If a new series is rushed into production (unlikely, I know) off the back of the films and ends up being horrendous then that'll solidify the death of the franchise. I'd rather wait far longer for a good trek show that'll run a number of years.
Shazenab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:02 PM   #125
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The "Our stuff is better than Their stuff" syndrome.
Or as another poster once put it succinctly:

"My nostalgia trumps your nostalgia."
Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.
Old May 17 2013, 02:18 AM   #126
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Yeah, the situation as to who owns the rights is a mess.

But the we still need someone with enough creative vision to lead the franchise...and dudes, I don't see anyone able to do that.

And that includes JJ.
Old May 17 2013, 02:35 AM   #127
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

What about the rights is a mess? CBS owns Star Trek. Paramount has the license to make Star Trek movies.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 08:26 PM   #128
mlk
Ensign

I'm sure this has already been written but here goes:

The TV audience today is not the same as it was in the 70s, 80s or even 90s. The audience today needs something that is intelligent, not full of politically correct cliches etc etc.

I think if DS9 had been made today(Or Babylon 5) it had been a bigger success than it was because today the audience demands story arcs and plausible plots that aren't rediculous.
mlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:52 PM   #129
Belz...
Fleet Captain

CoveTom wrote: View Post
horatio83 wrote: View Post
I love the gems of classical cinema but I have never seen a great TV show from the past. Either I am ignorant or they are simply pouring more money and creative juices into TV nowadays.
Really? You don't think there are any great TV shows from the past?

If we just want to stick to the science fiction genre, I would submit Twilight Zone as one example. Frankly, I'd also offer TOS. For all it's cheesy 60's goodness, there's a lot of real high-quality storytelling in there.
Also Mission: Impossible.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:22 AM   #130
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

mlk wrote: View Post

The TV audience today is not the same as it was in the 70s, 80s or even 90s. The audience today needs something that is intelligent, not full of politically correct cliches etc etc.

I think if DS9 had been made today(Or Babylon 5) it had been a bigger success than it was because today the audience demands story arcs and plausible plots that aren't rediculous.
Nah, they just want to be entertained. Sometimes its just a singing competition. Other times it might be what amounts to a Soap Opera with zombies. No one cares if the shows contain "politically correct cliches" or if the plots are "plausible". Sometimes the more ridiculous, the better.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:40 AM   #131
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

DS9 was behind the times relative to most first class TV drama in terms of style and content in the early 90s; it wouldn't do better now.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:58 AM   #132
dulcimer47
Lieutenant Junior Grade

mlk wrote: View Post

I agree.

Television is actually the medium where the best work is being done today. There is just too much runtime, even a 13-episode season, to get away with just using explosions and CGI - there needs to be characters and a story that is interesting.

Now, I should qualify that by saying cable television - basic cable, premium cable, even Netflix, but the over-the-air networks produce almost nothing of value.

Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
etc.
dulcimer47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 08:21 PM   #133
xortex
Commodore

Exploration is not really a specific job people can identify with anymore. It has to resonate with the general populace and with women. 24 resonated with women because of the character's journey and arc which was in conflict with itself.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 09:32 PM   #134
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

xortex wrote: View Post
Exploration is not really a specific job people can identify with anymore. It has to resonate with the general populace and with women.
In TOS and TNG, exploration was by no means limited to just new worlds and astronomical phenomena, it also included investigating anything our heroes came upon that wasn't quite right. That enabled them to also seek out and deal with threats to Earth/Federation, something amiss on a Federation member world or colony, or a Starfleet/civilian effort gone south, etc.--anything unusual that might require our heroes to take a look and see what's going on or what's wrong.

In a real sense, the various CSI and Law & Order shows are exploration shows, but they explore murders and other crimes.
Old May 24 2013, 04:52 PM   #135
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

dulcimer47 wrote: View Post
Television is actually the medium where the best work is being done today.
As far as writing is concerned, this is true.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote