Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 20 2013, 06:25 AM   #751
Qutluch
Commander

Re: My first voyage with Voyager

Bride of chaotica

Awesome, horrible....this episode was all of both. Cheesy, black and white scenes, blood curdling screams, suspense, machoism, horrible 1930's plot lines, you name it...a standard holo deck scene, but with Janeway in a badass (rather than Victorian) dress! All in all, I loved it! ( I am not sure if this is a bad or good thing)....

Paris' holo deck episode gets disturbed by an aliens presence who think his version of Captain Proton and Chaotica is the real part of Voyager, not Voyager itself. To,keep peace with the aliens they have to act out the episode, but with Queen Arachnia crossing Chaotica to save the aliens. The Doctor goes in as the President of Earth (with all the pompousness and more) to convince the aliens to stop firing so Captain Proton could save the day! Janeway goes iN as Queen Arachnia and there Mulgrew puts on the best performance I have seen! Her facial gestures, particularly with her eyes and eyebrow twitches had me laughing in stitches ( yes, I rhymed on purpose, I felt it went appropriately well with the cheesy episode). In the end, Queen Arachnia stops her fake wedding and kills Chaotica....supposedly....the TV recap ends with a question mark.

I loved ever cheesy bit of this episode! The Doctor, albeit his brief appearance and Janeway stole the show with their wonderfully hysterical performances.

Least favorite part: this episode made me stop and ponder...do I want to go to the next Vegas convention as a Klingon (as planned)...or queen arachnia? Tough decisions... I suppose my hair is more Klingon appropriate, but I love the costume! My husband does not know it yet, but he will be going as Captain Proton!
Old May 20 2013, 06:40 AM   #752
Qutluch
Commander

Seriously though, does anyone know a good place to find a queen Arachnia costume, or would that be a make it yourself one?
Old May 20 2013, 06:42 AM   #753
R. Star
Rear Admiral

You know... the whole Chaotica/Captain Proton subplot was always a guilty pleasure of mine. It just.... embraces the cheeziness so much that it's amusing to me. And don't tell me Janeway didn't get off on playing a megalomaniac villain.
Old May 20 2013, 06:57 AM   #754
Third Nacelle
Captain

What I like about Captain Proton is that it's the present's conception of the future's conception of the past's conception of the future.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:12 AM   #755
Qutluch
Commander

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
What I like about Captain Proton is that it's the present's conception of the future's conception of the past's conception of the future.

Well said. I was trying to figure out how to word that and gave up. It is an interesting point!
Old May 20 2013, 07:13 AM   #756
Qutluch
Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
You know... the whole Chaotica/Captain Proton subplot was always a guilty pleasure of mine. It just.... embraces the cheeziness so much that it's amusing to me. And don't tell me Janeway didn't get off on playing a megalomaniac villain.
I am sure she loved it! I want to re/watch this tomorrow just to see her eyebrow twitches.
Old May 20 2013, 12:48 PM   #757
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Bride of Chaotica is a good guilty pleasure episode. I like to rewatch it from time to time.

And yeah I think Kate Mulgrew probably enjoyed the fact that she would be getting a change of pace character-wise and finally a different costume to wear. It would have been cool if she kept in character after the fact and went out onto the bridge in that costume...

Dead Lazlo's Place
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 03:03 AM   #758
Qutluch
Commander

Dark frontier

First, we see that Sevens earth parents went to study the Borg with Starfleets approval...I did not think that Starfleet knew about the Borg yet....

Nonetheless, I still do not like this episode. When did Janeway start to revel in stealing? Even with the excuse that she is tired of being attacked first. The vessel they attacked was heavily damaged and moving slowly as it regenerated. It did not pose a threat. The real allure was to steal a warp coil. When did plundering become acceptable?

Another complaint, Seven suggested the technology that her parents used in order to break in to the Borg. Seven would have known that the Borg had already assimilated that technology, making it irrelevant to Voyager's heist. I do not think it is suppose to look like Seven overlooked this, I think it is a plot flaw.

The only real part that I liked was when Seven confessed that she was attached to the crew, and considered them her new collective. I did appreciate it that this was a double episode. It seemed more like a movie than anything.

At the end, Janeway takes Seven back (with Sevens assistance). When they make it back to the ship, Voyager fires into the conduit and the Borg vessel was blown up. Why didn't Voyager go through the wreckage this time to find useful stuff?

I would have liked this whole episode a lot more had it not been instigated by Voyager trying to steal technology. If she was going to disregard her honor to get Voyager home quicker she should have taken Qs offer, which was better.
Old May 22 2013, 05:29 AM   #759
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I was originally thinking that maybe Seven was gonna be one of those people scooped up from those colonies in The Neutral Zone when we first met her. The ages would be... close anyways. Or maybe just a deep space ship that was randomly scooped up somehow. But yeah, her parents having heard of the Borg when Picard and Data had no clue of their existence is a little silly.

It's a good character piece on Seven, but yes... Janeway's cavalier attitude towards piracy is more than hypocritical when you go back to season 2 when she's haughtily declaring that sharing technology is morally wrong and she'll destroy Voyager rather than trade a minor peace of technology for safe passage. They could've come up with a better excuse to get Seven on a Borg Cube than that.

Though the ending is... beyond silly that they can charge into the heart of Borg territory and somehow strongarm Seven out.
Old May 22 2013, 07:57 AM   #760
Mayack419
Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're getting close to Equinox. You're gonna like those.
Mayack419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 01:26 AM   #761
Qutluch
Commander

Disease

How the hell was Wang voted the sexiest man? I just don't see it.

Kim falls in love with an alien....then he had to go to the sickbay... I was hoping for a STD! Then the doc said he had to tell the captain. what happened to patient confidentiality... They need permission to have sex with aliens? I do not think Riker had permission for his numerous sexual encounters...

Harry really sucks with women. No cuddling, no pillow talk, when she tells him about their deep connection, he asks how to stop it.. No wonder he never gets laid.

Kim argues with Janeway when he was sent to be treated. He pleads with her. He asks her if she would have taken a numbing hypo spray to numb the sadness she felt in losing her fiancé. Valid point, I guess.

Favorite part: Kim was given a formal reprimand.

Least favorite part: Harry Kim.
Old May 24 2013, 02:40 AM   #762
Qutluch
Commander

Course oblivion

Really? Really? Can it be true? Is this a trick? this has to be a trick! These were my first thoughts. I was right! She said lieutenant Paris in the vows.

What the hell? They are all duplicates? The entire ship is full of duplicates. "Janeway" tries to maintain course to the alpha quadrant and then changed to go back to their " home", which was the demon planet. Their are several lines about survival and touching scenes with the crew, which meant nothing to me. Even though the duplicates have the same base personality, once they found out they were duplicates their behavior changes.

Least favorite part: the whole episode. I feel like any character development that occurred does not count since they are duplicates, and they know it. Having that knowledge changes their behaviors.

Also, if this is going to be a coulda woulda episode at least let Chakotay and Janeway hook up!
Old June 2 2013, 12:37 AM   #763
Qutluch
Commander

Think Tank

Interesting episode. Great title, I don't know why, but the title is intriguing. For some reason a "think tank" just did not seem to be a trustworthy group. They seemed like villains from the beginning. I kind of wish they would have seemed like a trustworthy group until the moment that asked for Seven as payment for their assistance. After having gone through Voyager's logs they should have known that they would not willingly given up a member of their crew. That aside, the episode was not bad. Janeway outsmarted the think tank, which made me think of the dos equis commercials. I can just imagine them panning in on Janeway, as she whips around with one hand on her hip and a dos equis in the other hand...."Janeway, the smartest woman alive".
Old June 2 2013, 12:39 AM   #764
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Think Tank is a good one~

Dead Lazlo's Place
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 02:22 AM   #765
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Qutluch wrote: View Post
Course oblivion

Really? Really? Can it be true? Is this a trick? this has to be a trick! These were my first thoughts. I was right! She said lieutenant Paris in the vows.

What the hell? They are all duplicates? The entire ship is full of duplicates. "Janeway" tries to maintain course to the alpha quadrant and then changed to go back to their " home", which was the demon planet. Their are several lines about survival and touching scenes with the crew, which meant nothing to me. Even though the duplicates have the same base personality, once they found out they were duplicates their behavior changes.

Least favorite part: the whole episode. I feel like any character development that occurred does not count since they are duplicates, and they know it. Having that knowledge changes their behaviors.

Also, if this is going to be a coulda woulda episode at least let Chakotay and Janeway hook up!

I liked this ep.

To me it was Voy's version of a MU ep... much more so than even "Living Witness".

And that ending... where only we the audience (and any races who interacted with MU Voyager) know there was a duplicate Voyager... and only we know what happened to the Duplicate.

It is almost a "there but for the grace of God"(and Captain Janeway) reminder for our own intrepid travelers.

At any time, any moment, they too could have their very existence wiped from the universe with no-one else the wiser to mourn their passing.

JANEWAY: Make a note in the ship's record. We received a distress call at oh nine hundred hours, arrived at the vessel's last known co-ordinates at twenty one twenty. The ship was destroyed, cause unknown. No survivors. Mister Paris, resume course.