IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: 'Who' is John Hurt
The original incarnation of The Doctor (pre-Hartnell) 9 9.09%
The 9th Doctor, the one who ended the Time-War 57 57.58%
The Doctor's final incarnation, the 13th Doctor 3 3.03%
Something else entirely 30 30.30%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20 2013, 12:34 AM   #31
Procutus
Admiral

Re: One particular SPOILER from The Name of the Doctor

Neroon wrote: View Post
Remember to be careful about spoilers in subject lines, folks

Sorry about that Roonie, my bad!

Old May 20 2013, 12:42 AM   #32
Procutus
Admiral

Captain Fine wrote: View Post
I do wish they had gotten Christopher Eccleston back for this if that's what they had intended.

It is interesting to note that the coat/jacket that Hurt is wearing most definitely resembles Eccleston's. It would've been great if he had turned around and it really was CE.
Old May 20 2013, 01:04 AM   #33
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Procutus wrote: View Post
Captain Fine wrote: View Post
I do wish they had gotten Christopher Eccleston back for this if that's what they had intended.

It is interesting to note that the coat/jacket that Hurt is wearing most definitely resembles Eccleston's. It would've been great if he had turned around and it really was CE.
At one point I do think that's what they intended, then after taking two meetings with the Mr. Stick in the Mud, decided to hire John Hurt and tweak the story a bit. Maybe create a new character in his place.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:13 AM   #34
The Wormhole
Admiral

I'm going with Time War incarnation who stopped calling himself the Doctor. Presumably throughout the war he did things he's so ashamed of, things he considers worse than comitting genocide against the Time Lords and the Daleks. I could see this fitting with Smith describing him as the one that broke the promise, as well as Hurt's line about being choicelss and doing what was necessary in the name of peace and sanity.
Old May 20 2013, 02:59 AM   #35
Christopher
Writer

Moffat has barely mentioned the Time War or anything from the RTD era (except River Song, whom he created himself) in the three years he's been doing the show. So I'm skeptical of the notion that this new plot twist is related to the Time War.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 04:50 AM   #36
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

Even is this is the Time War Doctor, Eccleston's Doctor would still technically be "the 9th Doctor", because this guy "broke the promise", and wasn't "The Doctor" ...though, the words on the screen said otherwise - but even 11 said "I said he was *me*, he's not The Doctor"...

Interesting though, if the Valyard is between the Doctor's 12th and final regeneration - AND of Timelords only have 13 regenerations...then Smith *is* the next to last regeneration, there's only ONE more regeneration before they are used up...and the Valyard comes immediately *after* Smith's Doctor!

(Maybe.)

Also...why did the console room that the Doctor's..."body"...look exactly the same as 11's console room...???
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:48 AM   #37
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I think he is the first incarnation of the Doctor, pre-Hartnell.

I think he must have done something so bad, that made him regenerate and then make a promise to redeem himself and call himself The Doctor now to help others.

So from Hartnell he steals the TARDIS, and runs away to explore and help people and redeem himself for whatever he had done. And that is what drives him.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:58 AM   #38
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
I think he is the first incarnation of the Doctor, pre-Hartnell.

I think he must have done something so bad, that
made him regenerate and then make a promise to redeem himself and call himself The Doctor now to help others.
So from Hartnell he steals the TARDIS, and runs away to explore and help people and redeem himself for whatever he had done. And that is what drives him.
Watch it again, that doesn't work because 11 makes it clear that the Hurt version breaks the promise that was made when he took the name 'The Doctor' not that he takes it after Hurt breaks a promise.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:33 AM   #39
RTOlson
Rear Admiral

View RTOlson's Twitter Profile

The Other may have initially taken the name Doctor, but had to forsake it and start again in light of what happened at the dawn of time travel. Since we know next to nothing about the dawn of time travel, this is relatively fertile ground for a writer.

The dawn of time travel is more enticing and more mysterious than the Time War. An origin story also ties in better with the idea of celebrating and commemorating the anniversary of "Doctor Who" than an event that chronologically happens toward the middle (relatively speaking).
Old May 20 2013, 08:35 AM   #40
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

RTOlson wrote: View Post
The Other may have initially taken the name Doctor, but had to forsake it and start again in light of what happened at the dawn of time travel. Since we know next to nothing about the dawn of time travel, this is relatively fertile ground for a writer.

The dawn of time travel is more enticing and more mysterious than the Time War. An origin story also ties in better with the idea of celebrating and commemorating the anniversary of "Doctor Who" than an event that chronologically happens toward the middle (relatively speaking).
Doesn't the fact that SM completely dodged the actual Doctor's name and the fact that every answer he provides in his stories is just provides a set-up for more questions clue people in that he is the last person who is every going to provide a origin story?
Old May 20 2013, 09:04 AM   #41
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

He's the Time War Doctor. The Ninth incarnation of the Time Lord but for whatever reason The Doctor doesn't consider that version worthy of the name.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Nobody's thinking he could actually be the Valeyard?
I'm assuming you haven't actually seen Trial of a Time Lord?
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 09:18 AM   #42
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

I think he's an amalgamation of ALL the Doctors. That all of him, at one time or another, came together in the time war, and essentially "donated" a tiny bit of their regeneration energy, to create a version of The Doctor (ala turning The Doctor's hand into 10.5) to perform some task / make some sacrifice that none of them were willing to do on their own. He is the living embodiment of some great shared shame; someone/thing they've all tried to block, but which can no longer be denied.
Old May 20 2013, 09:30 AM   #43
RTOlson
Rear Admiral

View RTOlson's Twitter Profile

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Doesn't the fact that SM completely dodged the actual Doctor's name and the fact that every answer he provides in his stories is just provides a set-up for more questions clue people in that he is the last person who is every going to provide a origin story?
Conversely, the Moffat-era Who has been marked by fairy tales and other mythical stories. While most fairy tales don't have an origin story, the story of the beginning would be one of the greatest of all — because it helps bring us to where we are now with the Doctor.

Also, the origin is ground that few have covered before and that's often where Moffat makes his hay. Bringing back a villain whose primary on-air story is lost to the ages is but one example (although I don't think the Great Intelligence was fully fleshed out in a meaningful way before the finale).

While we may not know many details about the Time War, certainly Clara would — in both her experiences with the past Doctors and her reading the freaking history of the war in the Tardis library (which I would hope she remembers at some point). It seems improbable to retread over that ground, although it remains possible if some of the hints are viewed a certain way.

In any case, I consider the Time War to be relatively small in the grand scheme of things (despite how cataclysmic it must have been to its participants). Going back to the beginning — at least for a visit — is a worthy adventure for the 50th anniversary.
Old May 20 2013, 09:32 AM   #44
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

He is never going to do the origin for the same reason he is never going to do the time war nor neither reveal the Doctor's name - it is always going to be a disappointment.

The use of the GI is largely irrelevant as that could have been anyone or anything, there is nothing intrinsic in the character of the GI that is required for the story to work.
Old May 20 2013, 09:35 AM   #45
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I think it's Doc 8.5; post-McGann / pre-Eccelston. I would then assume that he was the one who wiped out the Daleks and the Time Lords.

I remember in Parting of the Ways, 9 had the chance to do something similar (albeit on a smaller scale) and couldn't so it makes sense that someone other than the 'Doctor' could.

Personally, I think McGann into Hurt may be a forced regeneration at the hands of the Time Lords. Not only would this kinda make sense that they'd try to make a 'warrior' (they also brought back The Master to fight in the war - they were that desperate) but it would also give the 'Doctor' even more reason to be pissed off at the Time Lords.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote