Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 19 2013, 11:40 PM   #1
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

One Year Gap (spoilers, kinda)

in the final scene of the movie, Kirk in his speech said that a year had passed since the attack on London and Starfleet and i was wondering what do you think happened during the one year that the enterprise was being refitted?
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 11:46 PM   #2
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: One Year Gap

A tribble invasion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 11:49 PM   #3
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Kirk went to a lot of bars?
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Pavonis
Commodore

A lot of paperwork, I imagine.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Honestly I think some of the characters were temporarily re-assigned to other ships in the fleet. Scotty was on Earth, leading the Enterprise repair/refit. As for Kirk, I have no idea. Part of that time was, no doubt, spent recovering from the experience of death, perhaps he also went to the Academy to teach. He may have also done a brief media circuit as a Starfleet hero.

Also, I'm sure that at some point the senior staff was briefed on the new Five Year Mission. Maybe other ships already on the mission have supplied Starfleet with initial impressions of what they're finding on the frontier and the Enterprise staff is taking the lessons to heart?
Old May 20 2013, 12:03 AM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Picking up the pieces after a lunatic crashed a giant starship into San Francisco.

Oh, and the whale probe from STIV came along, but Old Spock went to the shore and held up his iPod and played whalesong at it until it went away.
Old May 20 2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Belz...
Fleet Captain

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Picking up the pieces after a lunatic crashed a giant starship into San Francisco.

Oh, and the whale probe from STIV came along, but Old Spock went to the shore and held up his iPod and played whalesong at it until it went away.
So next movie they find god in the center of the galaxy and make peace with the klingons ?
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:28 AM   #8
Nightowl1701
Commander

I gotta admit, when they mentioned the one year gap (bringing us to mid-2260), and then Kirk/Carol had their little exchange on the bridge about "being part of the family/Nice to have a family," I was fully expecting the camera to pan down to reveal she was pregnant...
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:29 AM   #9
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
I gotta admit, when they mentioned the one year gap (bringing us to mid-2260), and then Kirk/Carol had their little exchange on the bridge about "being part of the family/Nice to have a family," I was fully expecting the camera to pan down to reveal she was pregnant...
Haha, me too.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:42 AM   #10
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Phily B wrote: View Post
Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Haha, me too.
never really thought about it like that but according to memory alpha David was born in 2261, so it could be theoretically possible.
Old May 20 2013, 12:47 AM   #11
propita
Rear Admiral

Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post
Honestly I think some of the characters were temporarily re-assigned to other ships in the fleet. Scotty was on Earth, leading the Enterprise repair/refit. As for Kirk, I have no idea. Part of that time was, no doubt, spent recovering from the experience of death, perhaps he also went to the Academy to teach. He may have also done a brief media circuit as a Starfleet hero.

Also, I'm sure that at some point the senior staff was briefed on the new Five Year Mission. Maybe other ships already on the mission have supplied Starfleet with initial impressions of what they're finding on the frontier and the Enterprise staff is taking the lessons to heart?
I thought this would be the first five year mission?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:52 AM   #12
AbramsIsSatan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Belz... wrote: View Post

So next movie they find god in the center of the galaxy and make peace with the klingons ?
Yes, and God will be played by Shatner.
AbramsIsSatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:55 AM   #13
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

AbramsIsSatan wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post

Yes, and God will be played by Shatner.
i wonder if chris pine / kirk would still say "what does god need with a starship." line.
Old May 20 2013, 01:37 AM   #14
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

propita wrote: View Post

You know, I think you may be right. I guess I just assumed, based on Kirk already talking to Spock about a five year mission at the start of the movie, that Starfleet in the intervening year would have already sent a few ships out there.

But I think you're right. To be absolutely sure perhaps I should see the film again.....
Old May 20 2013, 01:37 AM   #15
Pavonis
Commodore

propita wrote: View Post

You're both right - it's the new 5-Year Mission Program, which will be the first mission of that duration.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote