Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: 'Who' is John Hurt
The original incarnation of The Doctor (pre-Hartnell) 9 9.09%
The 9th Doctor, the one who ended the Time-War 57 57.58%
The Doctor's final incarnation, the 13th Doctor 3 3.03%
Something else entirely 30 30.30%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19 2013, 09:58 PM   #16
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: John Hurt as The Doctor

Procutus wrote: View Post
3chordboy wrote: View Post
if the name The Doctor is supposed to be a promise then trapping billions in a time lock and leaving them to die goes completely against the notion of a doctor doing no harm. got to be the real 9th doctor...

It really is the theory that makes the most sense, but I wouldn't put it past The Moff to try to turn this into something a bit more complicated.

But the dialogue between Hurt and Smith sure make it seem as if Hurt is the real 9th. The name, the promise and what little we know of the Time War... It makes sense.
And, I imagine Clara didn't encounter Hurt's Doctor was because his events happened during the Time War and were locked away. However, Clara did have at least one life on Gallifrey which could have lived on into the Time War and be making a crack in that so called perfect lock. Not that it's stopped the Daleks, the Master, Rassilon's drums, or the kitchen sink escaping that time lock.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:01 PM   #17
Starkers
Admiral

Doctor 8.5
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:11 PM   #18
Neroon
Mod of balance

Re: One particular SPOILER from The Name of the Doctor

Remember to be careful about spoilers in subject lines, folks
Old May 19 2013, 10:28 PM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

Wereghost wrote: View Post
There's a possibility of him being the final incarnation, but I think that the ninth is more likely given Eleven's famiiarity with him. This also fits in, I think, with Ten's statement to Sarah Jane that he's changed half a dozen times (given that she briefly met Five in The Five Doctors).

Another question concerns what he's going to be called in the anniversary special. Maybe he'll be from a point prior to whenever he discarded the name of the Doctor.
Yep I had thought of that line as well that Tennant's Doctor said to SJ. She might not remember them meeting in The Five Doctor's but the Doctor would. So it is possible for their to be a lost regeneration and remain consistant with what we've seen. esp. if the Eccleston onwards Doctor's made a choice to supress memories of that incarnation.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:37 PM   #20
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I voted for "Something Else Entirely." He's the Doctor in the same sense the Valeyard is--he is, yet isn't.
My thoughts as well.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:48 PM   #21
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

My impression from the episode was that it was the Doctor from before he was called the Doctor. But it seems most people think he's the Time War Doctor. I guess that makes sense too.

I do wish they had gotten Christopher Eccleston back for this if that's what they had intended.
Old May 19 2013, 10:50 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

Nobody's thinking he could actually be the Valeyard?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:54 PM   #23
SeerSGB
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Isn't the Valeyard supposed to be between the 12th and finale Doctors? 11(12?) make it's clear that all the Doctor's we seeing in his past
Old May 19 2013, 10:54 PM   #24
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

What we know about TJHD (The John Hurt Doctor) lines up well with what we know about The Valeyard.

So, yeah. I vote for The Valeyard.
Old May 19 2013, 10:57 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Isn't the Valeyard supposed to be between the 12th and finale Doctors? 11(12?) make it's clear that all the Doctor's we seeing in his past
He makes it clear that Hurt's incarnation is someone he has prior knowledge of, yes, but he also has prior knowledge of his death at Trenzalore. And he learned about the Valeyard five incarnations ago. So it's not out of the question.

Old May 19 2013, 10:59 PM   #26
SeerSGB
Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
He makes it clear that Hurt's incarnation is someone he has prior knowledge of, yes, but he also has prior knowledge of his death at Trenzalore. And he learned about the Valeyard five incarnations ago. So it's not out of the question.
I got the impression that what we were seeing were past regenerations. I'll have to rewatch the end tonight when get time, see if I missed something.
Old May 19 2013, 11:19 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

^They were within the Doctor's timestream, which should've included everything from the beginning to the end of his life. There's no reason to think it had to be limited only to his past.

Old May 19 2013, 11:25 PM   #28
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
I think he is either McGann's doctor but a older version
I thought we saw McGann's doctor run by?
I think it's weird that we saw #2 and #8 in the same place (California) when they went to the trouble of putting all the other Doctors in different places & times.

But it's not like they edited #8 out of all the multi-Doctor montages we've seen since Eleventh Hour.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 11:30 PM   #29
MacLeod
Admiral

^They were within the Doctor's timestream, which should've included everything from the beginning to the end of his life. There's no reason to think it had to be limited only to his past.
Agreed.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 11:30 PM   #30
RTOlson
Rear Admiral

View RTOlson's Twitter Profile

This may have been stated by others in the episode review thread, but I support the notion that the Hurt Doctor pre-dates the Doctor as we know him. If one buys into the Carmel Masterplan (which I can understand if people don't), the Doctor may have been The Other, who alongside with Rassilon and Omega helped found the Time Lord culture by engineering the black hole that led to the Eye of Harmony.

In that context, Hurt's line that he acted for peace and sanity makes sense and the Doctor's rebuttal that his actions weren't in the name of the Doctor. I think it works because founding the Time Lords eventually drove both Rassilon and Omega mad (unless they were mad already) and who knows who or what else stood in the way of the founding of the Eye of Harmony.

There's a lot of upsides to telling this story, especially on the 50th anniversary — it could be a key element that led the First Doctor to run all those years ago and it addresses some of the gaps that fans have wanted to learn for decades. I must admit some downsides — modern fans may not know or care about the earliest incarnations of the Doctor and it's very easy to get bogged down in the show's mythology.

However, if a show is going to revel in its mythology, a 50th anniversary is perhaps one of the best times to do it and Moffat generally does a pretty decent job of accommodating new and older viewers. Also, the way this "secret" has been foretold makes it sound like it is the key to everything. Sure, it could be Moffat selling a pig in a poke, but it makes a certain kind of sense to subscribe to the idea of the Hurt Doctor being at the founding of Time Lord society and … being the cause of why we're all here after 50 years.

Some of the other theories could work, but Clara says that she's seen all 11 Doctors and I think it's possible she witnessed the eras and acts described by other posters (the Time War and Sixth's encounter with the Valeyard). Of course, she didn't see the Hurt Doctor's face … and she apparently hasn't remembered the name of the Doctor that she learned during her flight to the centre of the Tardis.

Last edited by RTOlson; May 19 2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Grammar!
RTOlson is offline   Reply With Quote