Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Name Of The Doctor"
Merlin 111 72.08%
Radagast the brown 30 19.48%
Barty crouch jr 5 3.25%
Destro 5 3.25%
Malekith 3 1.95%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19 2013, 09:10 PM   #211
Nightowl1701
Commander

Re: 7X13 The Name Of The Doctor(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Letting Doctor Who die a natural death at the end of the 13'th incarnation may be a simple matter of practicality for the BBC. Just like in 1989, the BBC (remember, owned by the British government and run like our country's PBS) simply can't afford to produce it much longer (hence this last split-season). At least not to current US sci-fi TV standards, and certainly not to longer than 13 episodes a season. The country's chronic economic woes and government budget crises won't allow it. Finding a co-producer isn't an option either; trying to find one was a large part of the reason Doctor Who stayed off the air for 16 years (minus that one-off TV movie which Universal chipped in for).

If I was a BBC exec, I'd be thinking right now "The sooner this thing ends, the sooner we're freed up money-wise to produce other shows and the sooner we can farm it out to Hollywood for the JJ Abrams treatment and rake in the profits from the licensing fee." The 13 lives limit, and inserting John Hurt as this lost Doctor, moves the saga very close to Trenzalore - to the point where the Beeb can end it without facing a backlash from the fans (as they did in '84). Yeah, they'll still grumble, but the novels, comics and radio dramas continue to be churned out on autopilot for next to nothing and will continue to do so for years to come.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:13 PM   #212
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Where'd you get any of this from?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:13 PM   #213
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I'll have to be honest, I think you have got your hands on a good stash.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:19 PM   #214
Jax
Admiral

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Letting Doctor Who die a natural death at the end of the 13'th incarnation may be a simple matter of practicality for the BBC. Just like in 1989, the BBC (remember, owned by the British government and run like our country's PBS) simply can't afford to produce it much longer (hence this last split-season). At least not to current US sci-fi TV standards, and certainly not to longer than 13 episodes a season. The country's chronic economic woes and government budget crises won't allow it. Finding a co-producer isn't an option either; trying to find one was a large part of the reason Doctor Who stayed off the air for 16 years (minus that one-off TV movie which Universal chipped in for).

If I was a BBC exec, I'd be thinking right now "The sooner this thing ends, the sooner we're freed up money-wise to produce other shows and the sooner we can farm it out to Hollywood for the JJ Abrams treatment and rake in the profits from the licensing fee." The 13 lives limit, and inserting John Hurt as this lost Doctor, moves the saga very close to Trenzalore - to the point where the Beeb can end it without facing a backlash from the fans (as they did in '84). Yeah, they'll still grumble, but the novels, comics and radio dramas continue to be churned out on autopilot for next to nothing and will continue to do so for years to come.

No
Old May 19 2013, 09:24 PM   #215
MacLeod
Admiral

BBC owned by the Government, that's a new one on me.

The BBC is funded by the public via the license fee, it has a charter to cater for all tastes (and that includes Sci-Fi fans).

The country's economic woes and the governments budget crisis doesn't have any impact on the BBC. (Though the BBC charter is coming up for review soon with the government, but at the end of the day I suspect a majority still support how the BBC is funded).

The BBC via it's subisderies earns millions from DW.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:26 PM   #216
davejames
Vice Admiral

So I wonder what this means for the 50th. Will we see Ten, Eleven, and Clara jumping around in time and interacting with old clips of the Doctors like in the teaser? Or is that a mission only Clara goes on, while Ten and Eleven remain behind and focus on stopping the Great Intelligence in some other way?

And after this episode it seems pretty apparent that the "museum with the paintings" is just a representation of something going on in the Doctor's mind, where each painting is basically a window into the past that the Doctor's are using to monitor Clara.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:28 PM   #217
SeerSGB
Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Racer_X wrote: View Post
Here's one weird observation: when the Tardis crash-landed on Trenzalore, one of the window panes cracked, as the Doctor duly noted upon exiting. This exact same window pane crack appears on the large future dead Tardis when Vastra looks up after first waking up on Trenzalore. Kind of strange; wouldn't that get repaired somehow between now and the Tardis' future (which I assume would be hundreds or thousands of years long)? Was this just artistic license by the FX folks? Or was this a subtle yet intentional hint of some sort?

Hey, I said it was a weird observation....
Not only that, but the 'tomb' version of the TARDIS control room is the same desktop theme as the one 'Eleven' recently got. Yeah, it IS a subtle, intentional hint. And a very heartbreaking one.

We're very near to THE END of the entire Doctor Who saga. 'Eleven' is Twelve, and they're sticking to the whole 13-incarnation lifecycle. When Matt Smith finally decides to leave, the next regeneration will be the LAST regeneration. The Last Doctor. An old man. Maybe ginger at last, maybe not. His birth will also see the birth of the fully-formed Dream Lord/Valeyard.

And his very last adventure, on Trenzalore, will be a 'relatively minor skirmish' as Doctor Who episodes go. The last will die as the first did - collapsing on the floor of the TARDIS from extreme old age and sheer exhaustion.

1.>The TARDIS already has all the control rooms stored even ones the Doctor hasn't uesd yet. ("The Doctors Wife"). So just because the room resembled the 11ths current one doesn't mean he changed it several times over and went back to it at some point. Or due to the TARDIS dying that was one of the few still around.

2.>Just because we've seen the Dcotor's grave doesn't mean it wasn't after his 13th life

3.>We don't know when we visited Trenzalore.

4.>Time can be re-written
My going theory on the current "stripped down" console room is that's the default setting This is what you get when you turn off most if not all the customing.
Old May 19 2013, 09:28 PM   #218
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

First and foremost, the money invested in making Doctor Who is made back with extra from selling the Series (Unless things have changed this half Series) and although the ratings have gone down, everyone's ratings have gone down, hence why the share hasn't changed.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:32 PM   #219
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

The BBC is funded by the public via the license fee, it has a charter to cater for all tastes (and that includes Sci-Fi fans).
Actually, from a technical POV, the license fee is considered a tax. It is paid into the Government's Consolidated Fund, before a convention has the Department for Culture, Media and Sport voting to hand it to the BBC for their own use. This is why the BBC have to negotiate with the Government of the day in regard to license fee increases.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:33 PM   #220
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I think Murray Gold's music is generally shit but it was nice hearing his Gallifrey theme again as I've always liked it.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:41 PM   #221
MacLeod
Admiral

Atticus wrote: View Post

Actually, from a technical POV, the license fee is considered a tax. It is paid into the Government's Consolidated Fund, before a convention has the Department for Culture, Media and Sport voting to hand it to the BBC for their own use. This is why the BBC have to negotiate with the Government of the day in regard to license fee increases.
That may be, but the BBC is not owned by the Government. In theory the Government can't tell the BBC what to do. Though the BBC does have to play nice when it comes up to renewing the charter time.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:23 PM   #222
Starkers
Admiral

Seen it twice now. That was utterly, utterly wonderful, just amazing. Damn when Moffat's good Moffat's amazing!

It might have worked better at the end of the full series rather than half a series, certainly Clara would have come across better that way, and her potential sacrifice would have had more meaning. JLC was great in this though, hell everyone was. Matt Smith was stupendous, and his goodbye to River sent chills down my spine.

Might well be the best season finale since the show came back...

Oh and thank god the Paternoster gang all survived!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:25 PM   #223
Nightowl1701
Commander

OK, I misunderstood (or at least oversimplified) the relationship between the BBC and the British government. Thanks for clearing it up.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:30 PM   #224
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Starkers wrote: View Post
Might well be the best season finale since the show came back...
Agreed. Though The Big Bang and The Parting of the Ways are the only other good ones.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:30 PM   #225
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
- I know it shouldn't bother me after the cell phones and other things we've been introduced to but the time traveling trance was rather ridiculous. This bothered me less on second viewing but really irritated me initially.
That's funny because I actually much prefer the trance over the cell phones (although they've grown on me a little).

Racer_X wrote: View Post
Here's one weird observation: when the Tardis crash-landed on Trenzalore, one of the window panes cracked, as the Doctor duly noted upon exiting. This exact same window pane crack appears on the large future dead Tardis when Vastra looks up after first waking up on Trenzalore. Kind of strange; wouldn't that get repaired somehow between now and the Tardis' future (which I assume would be hundreds or thousands of years long)? Was this just artistic license by the FX folks? Or was this a subtle yet intentional hint of some sort?

Hey, I said it was a weird observation....
I noticed that right away, too. Maybe The Doctor decides to keep the cracked pane in place as a reminder.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote