Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 19 2013, 06:10 AM   #16
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Re: Ideas for episodes

In The Omega Directive, Seven of Nine admits to having the knowledge of assimilated Starfleet Captains.

I would like to see - after regaining more of her humanity - Seven teaching Kathryn how to be a better captain based on those experiences.
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 06:11 AM   #17
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Ain Jalut wrote: View Post
Were they evli in Author, Author or just jerks?
I think Janewa-- I mean Jenkins phasering a patient qualifies as evil. Tuvok had the "EVIL(TM) goatee" too.
Old May 19 2013, 12:39 PM   #18
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Ok, now time for a real idea...

Early in S1, one of the little people onboard can't handle what's happened to them and the fact that they may never see their family again and attempts suicide. They are saved and in sickbay recovering from the effort, where Janeway tries to counsel the crewman to help them come to terms with what has happened.

Meanwhile, the rest of the main characters discuss the idea of giving up, reassessing their own thoughts on their situation, etc.

It looks like Janeway is getting through to them, but its a ruse, the the character is ultimately successful, leaving their mark on the rest of the crew, and reinforcing Janeway's committment to the emotional needs of her people.

It would be a bit of a downer, but hey life can really suck sometimes.
Old May 19 2013, 12:41 PM   #19
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post

Early in S1, one of the little people onboard can't handle what's happened to them and the fact that they may never see their family again and attempts suicide. They are saved and in sickbay recovering from the effort, where Janeway tries to counsel the crewman to help them come to terms with what has happened.
After ONE year? On a nice ship with a holodeck?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:49 PM   #20
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

On a nice ship with holodecks, 70 years from home, with a bunch of terrorists, under constant attack.
Old May 19 2013, 02:05 PM   #21
Lance
Fleet Captain

I'd like to see an episode where Janeway's shame about her coffee addiction sees her charging Seven with the secret task of finding a way to use Borg nanoprobes to create a substitute for her morning coffee fix, perhaps as a means of weaning herself off the noxious liquid refreshment. Naturally, this leads Seven into an inquisitive voyage of discovery, resulting in her reaching the conclusion that caffine creates an effect not dissimilar to being assimilated, and that Starbucks is clearly analogous to the Borg Collective. Hilarity ensues, of course.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 08:14 PM   #22
hux
Lieutenant Commander

Triskelion wrote: View Post
I would like to see - after regaining more of her humanity - Seven teaching Kathryn how to be a better captain based on those experiences.

Lance wrote: View Post
I'd like to see an episode where Janeway's shame about her coffee addiction sees her charging Seven with the secret task of finding a way to use Borg nanoprobes to create a substitute for her morning coffee fix, perhaps as a means of weaning herself off the noxious liquid refreshment. Naturally, this leads Seven into an inquisitive voyage of discovery, resulting in her reaching the conclusion that caffine creates an effect not dissimilar to being assimilated, and that Starbucks is clearly analogous to the Borg Collective. Hilarity ensues, of course.

Meanwhile, the rest of the main characters discuss the idea of giving up, reassessing their own thoughts on their situation, etc.

It looks like Janeway is getting through to them, but its a ruse, the the character is ultimately successful, leaving their mark on the rest of the crew, and reinforcing Janeway's committment to the emotional needs of her people.

Before that idea can work, we (and the characters for that matter) need to really believe that Voyager will be genuinely travelling home for the next 70 years and won't fluke a wormhole or have the future captain conveniently come back in time to help em out...and as we know, that sense of being there for a very long time (the rest of their lives even) was never really that tangible in the show.....other than that, yeah i like the darker tone of the idea

Lister - Don't give me any of that Star Trek crap, its too early in the morning
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:16 PM   #23
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

In the last scene of "Endgame", Shannon O'Donnell wakes up and realises that it's all just been a dream
Hahahaha.
Old May 19 2013, 11:23 PM   #24
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
In the last scene of "Endgame", Shannon O'Donnell wakes up and realises that it's all just been a dream
Hahahaha.

^ And she turns to her husband: Bob Newhart.
Old May 19 2013, 11:25 PM   #25
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Strong idea, Bry! Wow. This drama would be well-served in a book. For TV, I would be concerned about "validating suicide," losing sponsors and getting canned.

It would also take a more realistic contemporary story approach which would change the nature of the entire series. No doubt improving it! (There's that reset button again).

Lance wrote: View Post
Talk about social commentary! Is there some way to incorporate communicator fetishes?
Old May 20 2013, 04:15 AM   #26
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

If a suicide story would have worked in Voyager, it would have had to be after a longer period of time, and after some traumatic event. Like, if they had done the 'Year Of Hell' as a full year arc like they wanted, it would have worked. Or maybe one of the Delaney sisters dies and the other attempts suicide.

The problem with having a mirror universe arc is that it was airing at the same time as the series that did a mirror universe ep every year. Though maybe last season it would have been better than the other retrospect episodes like Shattered.

And I think Course Oblivion is one of the best episodes in the series, though it would have been awesome if they'd had them getting home instead.

I love the 'Universal translator breaks' idea. And I like the idea of running into another Federation of Planets. Maybe they refuse to help Voyager because they don't want to interfere in Voyager's natural development.

What I would have loved to see was one where Voyager got really low on resources. Like, the replicator is broken, the holodeck is nonfunctional, the crew is deprived of basic creature comforts for several episodes in a row. Quark's theory on humanity being put into practice with Voyager, to see if they can still hold onto their Federation morality when their bellies aren't full and sonic showers aren't working.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:47 AM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
What I would have loved to see was one where Voyager got really low on resources. Like, the replicator is broken, the holodeck is nonfunctional, the crew is deprived of basic creature comforts for several episodes in a row. Quark's theory on humanity being put into practice with Voyager, to see if they can still hold onto their Federation morality when their bellies aren't full and sonic showers aren't working.
Yeah, as preachy as Janeway got during Equinox... I could actually see her doing the exact same thing as Ransom did in his shoes.
Old May 20 2013, 12:53 PM   #28
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

R. Star wrote: View Post
Yeah, as preachy as Janeway got during Equinox... I could actually see her doing the exact same thing as Ransom did in his shoes.
I love Janeway, but Equinox was the only episode in which I think she actually seemed to have gone temporarily bonkers. She had a psycho look in her eyes the whole time.

That said, Janeway offered to save him at the end, but he chose to go down with his ship. She did offer to try and beam him out in time. The other 99% of the episode she wanted to strip him of his uniform, stuff him, and hang him in her ready room as a wall decoration.
Old May 20 2013, 03:33 PM   #29
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I love Janeway, but Equinox was the only episode in which I think she actually seemed to have gone temporarily bonkers. She had a psycho look in her eyes the whole time.

That said, Janeway offered to save him at the end, but he chose to go down with his ship. She did offer to try and beam him out in time. The other 99% of the episode she wanted to strip him of his uniform, stuff him, and hang him in her ready room as a wall decoration.
"I'm going to have you executed in a slow and painful fashion if you don't tell me where your captain is so I can hunt him down and kill him because he's a disgrace to humanity!"

Yeah... she was nuts that episode. But given how irrational she was behaving in Year of Hell when her ship was damaged heavily, I could see her doing exactly what Ransom did if Voyager was heavily damaged and the space slugs were dropped on her doorstep. But evil Doctor is fun stuff.
Old May 20 2013, 05:08 PM   #30
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

"I'm going to have you executed in a slow and painful fashion if you don't tell me where your captain is so I can hunt him down and kill him because he's a disgrace to humanity!"

Yeah... she was nuts that episode. But given how irrational she was behaving in Year of Hell when her ship was damaged heavily, I could see her doing exactly what Ransom did if Voyager was heavily damaged and the space slugs were dropped on her doorstep. But evil Doctor is fun stuff.
It was fun for a little bit, but overall I don't like the Doctor being evil!!!! D:

I don't think her Equinox behavior and Year of Hell behavior is too comparable though. In Year of Hell, I was rooting for her the whole time and thought she was doing the best she could under the circumstances (and she did fix the temporal damage). In Equinox, albeit I love her and I love the episode, I wanted to scream CHILL OUT at her through my TV. It was one of the few times I sided with Chakotay over her.