A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 19 2013, 07:39 PM   #541
Flake
Commodore

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

RAMA wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post

Actually it has made as much as STFC did when accounting for inflation....in just over a WEEK!

RAMA

First Contact made US$146m.

As it stands ST:ID has only made US$67.2m thus far.

Nemesis made US$67.3m.

So in straight figures it hasn't beaten either of those films yet. True the Sunday figures for the US+Canda and the first full week for the rest of the world (where it was relased on May 9)have yet to come in which should easily push it past First Contact figures.
Accounting for inflation, STFC made over $164 million. Through Sunday STID will make $158 million minimum. It now seems like the figure will be closer to $165 million. So in basically a week, STID has made MORE than the most popular STNG film in its whole run even with the higher inflation figure. I used it as an example since Nemesis was a poor analogy.

Edit: The Numbers already has STID listed at $84,091,000 domestic $164,591,000 Worldwide. The Intl numbers were revised from $75 million to $80.5 million.

So despite the panic, STID probably will do $5 million more domestically in fewer theaters, for 5 days.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Star-Trek

RAMA
Star Trek: First Contact made $164,686,000 Adjusted in North America alone and $261,349,000 worldwide adjusted for dollar inflation.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 07:42 PM   #542
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
So $84 million so far in america (a little boost in the end helped) and around $75 overseas so far? = $159 million worldwide is a good start. If I remember right STAR TREK has an habit of making x3 domestically from its opening weekend so we probably are looking at $250 million US Box Office Total and Paramount believes they can break $200 million minimum oversea's and even double the overseas 09 total which would allow STID to break Half a billion.

$80.5 million international
Old May 19 2013, 07:48 PM   #543
Dart
Commodore

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice
"FAST & FURIOUS 6 debuted in the UK with $13.8M--Universal's largest opening ever there."

I honestly don't get the love for this crap.

Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 07:48 PM   #544
Flake
Commodore

I have noticed some people blaming the powerball for the low performance... did people spend their Cinema money on the lottery instead of Star Trek ?
Old May 19 2013, 07:48 PM   #545
Jax
Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
So $84 million so far in america (a little boost in the end helped) and around $75 overseas so far? = $159 million worldwide is a good start. If I remember right STAR TREK has an habit of making x3 domestically from its opening weekend so we probably are looking at $250 million US Box Office Total and Paramount believes they can break $200 million minimum oversea's and even double the overseas 09 total which would allow STID to break Half a billion.

$80.5 million international

Yeh just saw that on Deadline so even better with a worldwide total of $164.9M (lets say $165) already off a $190 budget. STID is going to smash ST09 worldwide total and make anywhere between $450-500 million pre Blu Ray/DVD and other revenue streams.

Old May 19 2013, 07:49 PM   #546
Flake
Commodore

Dart wrote: View Post
"FAST & FURIOUS 6 debuted in the UK with $13.8M--Universal's largest opening ever there."

Teens & 20-somethings can't get enough of it. It'll do $700m worldwide I reckon.
Old May 19 2013, 07:57 PM   #547
ConRefit79
Captain

STID has made MORE than the most popular STNG film in its whole run even with the higher inflation figure.
But how do the production and marketing costs compare?
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 07:59 PM   #548
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post

First Contact made US$146m.

As it stands ST:ID has only made US$67.2m thus far.

Nemesis made US$67.3m.

So in straight figures it hasn't beaten either of those films yet. True the Sunday figures for the US+Canda and the first full week for the rest of the world (where it was relased on May 9)have yet to come in which should easily push it past First Contact figures.
Accounting for inflation, STFC made over $164 million. Through Sunday STID will make $158 million minimum. It now seems like the figure will be closer to $165 million. So in basically a week, STID has made MORE than the most popular STNG film in its whole run even with the higher inflation figure. I used it as an example since Nemesis was a poor analogy.

Edit: The Numbers already has STID listed at $84,091,000 domestic $164,591,000 Worldwide. The Intl numbers were revised from $75 million to $80.5 million.

So despite the panic, STID probably will do $5 million more domestically in fewer theaters, for 5 days.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Star-Trek

RAMA
Star Trek: First Contact made $164,686,000 Adjusted in North America alone and $261,349,000 worldwide adjusted for dollar inflation.

Nope from what I've seen if you multiply by the adjuster, it comes out to $164 million. I'll double check it though.
Old May 19 2013, 08:00 PM   #549
Flake
Commodore

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
STID has made MORE than the most popular STNG film in its whole run even with the higher inflation figure.
Its not true yet, STID is @ $164.5m WW vs $261m WW for First Contact adjusted.

Budget for Star Trek First Contact is $80m adjusted for inflation vs $190m for STID.

EDIT: First Contact budget is $66m adjusted for inflation, not $80m
Old May 19 2013, 08:01 PM   #550
RAMA
Vice Admiral

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Marketing costs are not counted as part of the budget, it's a myth. It's a different dept and different expense. You can count it on a real level as a cost of doing business for the movie, but the studio won't hold the marketing cost against the movie.

RAMA
Old May 19 2013, 08:03 PM   #551
Flake
Commodore

Nope from what I've seen if you multiply by the adjuster, it comes out to $164 million. I'll double check it though.
I might be wrong actually but it is more than 164m adjusted worldwide. You can adjust the domestic total on Box Office Mojo for North American ticket price inflation, but that does not apply to foreign gross. I think perhaps you have to adjust that by dollar inflation on a different calculator. It is at least 164+54m

EDIT: Star Trek First Contact made approx $80m overseas according to http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ - I input $54m into that and it becomes $80m so FC made approx $244.6m worldwide adjusted for inflation.. if that is how I do it
Old May 19 2013, 08:09 PM   #552
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I might be wrong actually but it is more than 164m adjusted worldwide. You can adjust the domestic total on Box Office Mojo for North American ticket price inflation, but that does not apply to foreign gross. I think perhaps you have to adjust that by dollar inflation on a different calculator. It is at least 164+54m
$164 million may be off but the adjusted domestic I saw for STFC was $129 million not $164 million. Ok I'll try and investigate...I hate all that adjusted business anyway.

Regardless of the actual figure, my original point still stands, $158 to 165 million WW is sensational. STID effectively grossed a huge part of the STFC gross in just over a week.
Old May 19 2013, 08:10 PM   #553
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Well at least it's no longer a flop, just underwhelming since it's at the low end of Paramount's long term estimates with the higher being 120m. Such a shame, I was hopeful of 100m+.

Back to the drawing board.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 08:13 PM   #554
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Dart wrote: View Post

I hate to sound snobby, but it targets the lowest common denominator then works its way up getting by as an action flick. When I was at the flicks on Friday to see STiD with my mum (kinda a tradition with Trek since I was a child, don't hate), FF6 queue was full of rapscallions who you'd never imagine Trek appealing to.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 08:15 PM   #555
Flake
Commodore

$164 million may be off but the adjusted domestic I saw for STFC was $129 million not $164 million. Ok I'll try and investigate...I hate all that adjusted business anyway.

Regardless of the actual figure, my original point still stands, $158 to 165 million WW is sensational. STID effectively grossed a huge part of the STFC gross in just over a week.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...d=startrek.htm

That is my source, it has inflation adjusted numbers at the bottom but only for North America. It does not adjust the overseas numbers for inflation because the ticket prices differ in different countries.