Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 19 2013, 04:22 AM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: Into Darkness and the novelverse [SPOILERS]

Chris McCarver wrote: View Post
Something I've noticed: Abrams has pretty much dismissed intercoms and desktop communications terminals in favor of using the handheld communicators for pretty much all person-to-person communications purposes. Guess it makes sense since eventually the TNG-era shows effused the shipboard intercom system in favor of just using the commbadges for that sort of thing.
And it probably reflects the modern usage of cell phones.

That said, there were instances in TOS where characters used communicators for intraship contact -- starting with the very first appearance of a communicator ever, in Pike's quarters in "The Cage."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 06:49 AM   #32
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Something I've noticed: Abrams has pretty much dismissed intercoms and desktop communications terminals in favor of using the handheld communicators for pretty much all person-to-person communications purposes. Guess it makes sense since eventually the TNG-era shows effused the shipboard intercom system in favor of just using the commbadges for that sort of thing.
Didn't Pike ask Chekov to begin ship-wide mission broadcast, and the message was broadcast on screens (Kirk views it on a screen) in ST09? And again the intercom was used by Kirk when Spock stepped down after becoming emotionally compromised.

And in STiD, Kirk used the ship-wide intercom. So, maybe there would be a movement toward using combadges, but intercoms haven't been dismissed by Abrams. At least, not yet.
Old May 19 2013, 10:08 AM   #33
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

They're broadcasts though. As said before, I think Abrams has made the Communicators futuristic cell phones. You can still have the screen for video calls, but just need voice and the handhelds do the job.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:05 PM   #34
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Well, we'll know for sure only when non-Starfleet personnel on board ship need to contact someone. Even in TNG, I remember an episode (IIRC, "The Neutral Zone") where a greedy but anxious businessman who was in his quarters contacted Picard who was on the bridge through a one-to-one intercom.
Old May 19 2013, 02:14 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

NightJim wrote: View Post
They're broadcasts though. As said before, I think Abrams has made the Communicators futuristic cell phones.
No, the designers of cell phones made them modern communicators. The whole reason so many cell phones over the years have had flip-open designs is because their designers wanted to play Star Trek. So if the influence is now going the other way, that's hardly inappropriate.

Old May 19 2013, 02:14 PM   #36
Chris McCarver
Lieutenant Commander

rahullak wrote: View Post
Didn't Pike ask Chekov to begin ship-wide mission broadcast, and the message was broadcast on screens (Kirk views it on a screen) in ST09? And again the intercom was used by Kirk when Spock stepped down after becoming emotionally compromised.

And in STiD, Kirk used the ship-wide intercom. So, maybe there would be a movement toward using combadges, but intercoms haven't been dismissed by Abrams. At least, not yet.
Right, but, and I probably should have italicized that part for emphasis, I'd posted that person-to-person communication in and of itself was being wholly handled by the handhelds. Yeah, if they needed to speak to the whole crew at once they used the intership, but whereas in previous productions they only used the handhelds when off-ship, now their use is more widespread.
Chris McCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 02:20 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer

... whereas in previous productions they only used the handhelds when off-ship....
Usually, but as I already said, not exclusively. "The Cage" is one exception. I can't think of other examples offhand, but I'm pretty sure it's not unheard of. (I'm not counting "Mirror, Mirror," since the characters were using their communicators for privacy rather than use the mirror ship's intercoms.)

Old May 19 2013, 02:29 PM   #38
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I did smile when Pike was texted to report to Daystrom while in the bar with Kirk. Life imitates art imitates life.
Old May 19 2013, 02:51 PM   #39
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
NightJim wrote: View Post
They're broadcasts though. As said before, I think Abrams has made the Communicators futuristic cell phones.
No, the designers of cell phones made them modern communicators. The whole reason so many cell phones over the years have had flip-open designs is because their designers wanted to play Star Trek. So if the influence is now going the other way, that's hardly inappropriate.
Oh absolutely. I was just talking about the context of the film. It's not a problem as I see it. If it really bugs anyone the ship was a giant transceiver, and because the Enterprise is nearby is why Kirk can make that call. Also throw the Narada explanation in there just for good measure.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 03:34 PM   #40
indianatrekker26
Captain

a completely way these new films have affected how i read the older TOS books, is i'm now i hearing/picturing Pine, Quinto etc in the roles, and the JJPrise in the books. I'm in the middle of reading "Yesterday''s Son" and my brain just keeps picturing the new crew. They are Kirk, Spock, etc.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:37 PM   #41
Christopher
Writer

^I tend to imagine Bruce Greenwood when I read Pike stories these days, but otherwise I still envision the TOS cast. Still, when I look at Pine and Quinto, I have no trouble seeing them as Kirk and Spock.

Old May 19 2013, 05:24 PM   #42
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I tend to imagine Bruce Greenwood when I read Pike stories these days, but otherwise I still envision the TOS cast.
It says a lot for that happen, considering Bruce Greenwood's limited time in the role. I really wish we could get some Greenwood!Pike novels or a game, but we'll be lucky if we get a oneshot comic.
Old May 19 2013, 05:38 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

bullethead wrote: View Post
It says a lot for that happen, considering Bruce Greenwood's limited time in the role.
Well, as of now, he's played Pike in twice as many productions as Jeffrey Hunter did. Though his combined screentime in the role is probably somewhat less.

Old May 19 2013, 08:41 PM   #44
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Did anybody notice the similarities of the film with the DS9 novel Abyss?. In Abyss, Section 31 recruit Locken (who is genetically engineered) but he turns against them.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:17 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

^Seems like a natural thing for S31 to do in either timeline, since they're out for any advantage and don't care too much about laws and ethics. It's a better resonance between timelines than some of the, err, more familiar moments in the film's third act.